Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
swinginFish

Red Devils

Yucky, thick red/brown water in most areas out there today, but very calm conditions in the AM. Lots of macks, and some market squid back in previous area. Birds working due west in 200'+ of water lured me way out, and persistant strike but no bite on a jig suggested big squid were at play. Put out a heavy duty "candy catcher" and scored a Humboldt of about 10lbs. No photo, but the ever-changing, flashing colors of these things have to be seen to be believed. Fun fight, and managed to dodge the jet/ink spray (this time) when it came up. Good to know in advance that they're out there - hooked one during a run many years ago, and a day before there was any news of them being in the area. Trust me - it was more than a bit freaky to have the Kraken come unexpectedly to color (Still have the stain in my wetsuit from that encounter).

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
taggermike

I saw my first humboldts off Muleje about 20 years ago and I sure have never forgotten them. That was before you ever heard about them up here. They were big ones, 5 feet long or so, and after we pulled the first 2 up a big school, flock, mob, posse, hit squad, what ever you call a group of 50 lb squid, came up under the boat. I knew little about them and didn't know they have eaten people but the thought of falling in just made me feel sick. Never really want to see one again but now that they're in my 'hood I'll eat a few. Mike.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
oneyedeer

Mike consider yourself lucky! ...Give me a choice of being in the water with one great white versus a group of 50lb squids I would gladly pick the great white.
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
oneyedeer

nvm you were in a boat not a yak
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
DHSDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginFish View Post
Yucky, thick red/brown water in most areas out there today, but very calm conditions in the AM. Lots of macks, and some market squid back in previous area. Birds working due west in 200'+ of water lured me way out, and persistant strike but no bite on a jig suggested big squid were at play. Put out a heavy duty "candy catcher" and scored a Humboldt of about 10lbs. No photo, but the ever-changing, flashing colors of these things have to be seen to be believed. Fun fight, and managed to dodge the jet/ink spray (this time) when it came up. Good to know in advance that they're out there - hooked one during a run many years ago, and a day before there was any news of them being in the area. Trust me - it was more than a bit freaky to have the Kraken come unexpectedly to color (Still have the stain in my wetsuit from that encounter).

Avery
Was this out of La Jolla? If so where where are you finding the macs at? I need to make a bunch for bug bait, season is just around the corner and still haven't scored anything other than smelt. Thanks
DHSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSDave View Post
Was this out of La Jolla? If so where where are you finding the macs at? I need to make a bunch for bug bait, season is just around the corner and still haven't scored anything other than smelt. Thanks

You cant find a mackerel?
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
DHSDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
You cant find a mackerel?
Unfortunately no, only been out of La Jolla once so far, is there a specific area that usually produces?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
DHSDave

Ok found em and loaded up quick =).