Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
pbb

Revo Ram Mount (backing? fastners?)

So my (2008) Revo came used with RAM mount 2000 tubes mounted via 1.5" balls with 2x3" bases just forward of the pockets.

The balls are deteriorating and I bought new mounts to replace them. (RAM has a lifetime warranty, but I recall they want you to send in the failed parts, and I'd rather have spares than have my kayak sitting around with holes in it and nowhere to mount my RAM tubes).

The originals were installed using aluminum pop rivets and no backing. RAM makes a kit for the Hobie's with a backing plate (RAM-301-HOB1). I'm not 100% sure that uses the 2x3 mount that fits older Revos. Hobie currently sells a 2x2.5" (with no backing plate), presumably because later models had narrower gunwales.

I see a few options: 1) try to buy the backing plates and screws from that kit from RAM (assuming they are 2x3"); 2) mount with stainless bolts and use SS washers for backing; 3) make plastic backing plates out of cutting board material; 4) mount as before with pop rivets.

(I can reach the underside reasonably well through the hatch).

I am inclined to go with #2 (SS bolts & washers), since I can reach and since I don't have pop rivets or a pop rivet tool handy, but I can easily get the SS hardware down the block. (But if I did want to go pop rivets, I can borrow a tool next weekend).

Advice?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I would go screws/washers/nuts if there is access. Rivet only when access is not possible and/or you don't need max strength. Backing plate if possible, but fender washers are acceptable.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
fongman

Go to ePlastics (formerly Ridout Plastics) on Ruffin Road. They have a bin of scraps they sell really cheap. Get some polycarbonate. It is almost indestructible and it won't crack like acrylic. I use it under everything I mount on my kayak. With a little ingenuity, you'd be surprise where you can reach. It was difficult, but I was able to put a handle (with screws, nuts, and a plate) on the raised area behind the seat.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
YTHunter
Carlisle

Buy a 1" wide x 1/4' thick aluminum bar from Home Depot. Use a hacksaw to cut to approximately 3" length. Drill holes to line up with Ram mount, and install with 1/4" x 1" stainless steel bolts and nylon lock nuts.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Raskal311

Recentlymade my own out of high density pastic I got at a plastic shop. Probsvly 10 cent worth from their scrap bin.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
Buy a 1" wide x 1/4' thick aluminum bar from Home Depot. Use a hacksaw to cut to approximately 3" length. Drill holes to line up with Ram mount, and install with 1/4" x 1" stainless steel bolts and nylon lock nuts.

Thanks. I bought some stainless hardware while I was at West Marine today. I was thinking about bending or filing the washers, as the kayak hull starts to slope down right outside the holes.

But this sounds like a good plan for the backing. Thanks.