Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
FishinReelDeals

Need some input on new fishfinder

Got a new yak, and now am looking to get a new ff. I am looking at either a hds 5, or a new hummingbird hd series. Wanted some input from some of you guys out their, that own one already. Thanks
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
tagyak

hummingbird 597ci hd di

i have the hummingbird 597ci hd di. i took it out and it seems to be giving me some bad readings. stinkymatt has the hb 595c hd i think and we were comparing the readings. we were off by 13 ft.
he recently went out and said that the temp reading was 89* he isn't so happy with his so i am told that he will be returning it shortly and possibly looking at the lowrance hds 5 elite.

i am not so hot on this unit either but willing to stick it out based on two reasons: 1) when mounting the unit i had to epoxy the transducer to the wire management. so if i were to return it, i would need to purchase a new wire management and possibly a new transducer, cost for both $100
2) to purchase a lowrance hds 5 combo unit, i am looking at $700; the unit that i have now only cost me $600, so to change it out would cost me additional $200 that i am not willing to do.

if i were to do it again, i would buy the lowrance. i originally went with the hb b/c of the 4000 watts and 500 peak to peak and the higher resolution 640/640 rather than 480/480 from lowrance. i also like that the lowrance dismounts cleanly with the single cable unlike the hb.

hope that this helps. anyone else out there with a hb similar to mine i would love to hear what you guys have to say -thanks

Last edited by tagyak; 06-13-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: title
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Like Tim said, loved my last FF from Hummingbird (718). I went up to color and HD. this thing is not working out well for me. Sensitivity is difficult to adjust and my temp reading, while the ducer is in the ocean was 89 WTF. Sending it back, will try something else.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
bigbarrels

hds 5 base model with Fish n Chip is SWEET! Expensive but worth it.........get the price on Anchor Express and print it out and West Marine will match the price and they offer an extended warranty....can't wait to use it in the A.M.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
petemaranda
Junior

Humminbird

I bought a Humminbird Piranha Max15 about 7 years ago as my first FF because it was cheap ($85) and I wasn't sure what to do. The thing has take so much abuse over the years and still performs like a champ. Every couple of years, the power cable contacts finally corrode and the power cable (which is separate from the xducer cable) must be replaced for about $15.

Don't know if this is typical for all Humminbird products but this one is a rock. I wish I could turn off the water temp feature but that is the only drawback.

Good luck!
petemaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
FishinReelDeals

Talking

Thanx to everone for your input. After some research I'm going with the hds 5. I'm sorry to hear the humminbird HD series is not working out to well. Thanks again!
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
RK

Awesome "fish finder"....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
cowboybill

about Temp

I have a HDS 5x, and I love it....

But, I have noticed that my temp is not accurate with a glue in transducer..

and common sense says it cant be accurate that way...

If the sun is out, my temp reading goes up...if it is cloudy, it seems close. What I am getting is an average reading of Hull air temp mixed with transferred water temp.

I have verified this with a mini thermometer.

Point, dont judge the temp unless you have a transducer mounted in the water..

Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #9
IB Fish"N"

I got the Elite 5 and its awsome also.
IB Fish"N" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
tagyak

update on hummingbird 597

i just finished using my hummingbird 597 ci hd di. after using it for the third time, i discovered that this isn't so bad after all. i originally paid $579 for it and for me to upgrade to the lowrance hds 5 it would cost a little more.
i was out on the water on sunday and after fiddling around with it i learned that it does work and work well. i saw lots of bait balls and squid too. with the bait saw lots of marks for larger fish.
one thing that i would do different is possibly not get the di. with the di you can't use dual frequency. one of the freq is used by the di, but beyond that it is a good unit, especially for the price.
also their customer service is nice too. you have to wait on the phone for awhile but once you speak to someone they will assist you as best they can. i requested for a new transducer and a new wire management plate. to order this separately it would have cost me $100. i had thought my reading was off, but after sunday i think it works great.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I have the Elite5 DSI. I think it is an OK unit but would have rather gotten the HDS5 for the added adjustability.

I really don't understand why so many people care about the temperature of the surface of the water. A trick i learned in Nam is that in a Kayak 1 degree here or there makes zero difference. If the wind blows the temp changes, if the water rolls the temp changes. When searching for Tuna or Pelegic fish I understand searching for temp breaks but how far do you really go in your kayak to see the real temperature change?
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote