Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
vellocity

Wed AM, some serious stuff out there..

figured i'd wake my ass up and get back out on the water again! outta practice and forgot a few things, but no worries didn't need it anyways it was so dead...

saw familiar faces.. Andy's always doing his own mellow thing.. and big Pat with the NEW camo Malibu!!! finally a yak that fits him!

trolled a rapala since bait was tough to find.. around 730am Pat saw some footprints but nothing taking. we threw some surface irons but i never got to see any swirls or boils..

around 8am in 80' of water with Pt. Loma showing just a bit a big shark coasted a full circle around the ski while i was drifting doing the yoyo thing..
seriously!
not to scare anyone but this thing was easily over 12'!! my ski is 10' and it was longer... the water was a little brown and all i saw was that thing moving about 3' underwater, not even kicking, just coasting along at a pretty fast speed.. it got close enough that i could have poked it with my jig stick!!
i wierd thing is that i don't know why it circled me? the vibration of my prop, jet wash at idle forward? but i was stopped with engine off for at least a few minutes? i didn't even catch bait, so there was no fishy smell trail?

now i've been a waterman all my life, stuff like this doesn't freak me out but it was one of those erie mornings.. cloudy overcast, dirty water, people were fishing, but it still felt lonely out there..

and don't mean to freak you guys out... i've been surfing around La Jolla since the early 90's and i've always known that they are around.. infact my favorite surf spot in LJ is just on the other side of the Children's pool where all those dumb harbor seals live!!!!

i just wanted to let you know i finally saw one..
and it wasn't the right kind!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks for the report Nelz, I am heading out for a PM shift in a couple hours... :shock:
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Pumori
Junior

We saw a bunch of GWs at Guadalupe last fall and they did have a very characteristic glide with no real signs of effort at propelling themselves.

Saturday morning around grey light around the area you are talking about I was fiddling with some gear and heard water moving in front of me. I glanced up and something had just dropped under about 10-15' in front of my kayak. There were no seals or dolphins around and the displaced water suggested something big had just been on/hear the surface. Didn't meter anything going under me and didn't see anything else the rest of the morning but it was sort of spooky.
Pumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Nelz, good seeing you on the water. No doubt the GWS that has been spotted. There were alot of sightings in the last month.....Ryan threw iron at it :lol: I want to get a picture! SMILE!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Spinal Tap

fuuuuuug! I hope he's a morning kinda guy/gal. I'm going out tonight. Dang. I gotta re-think this. I hate it when I'm floating on the surface breathing up for a drop and I can't see very far down due to bad vis. or red tide. My mind's eye visualizes all sorts of things especially when there's no kelp.

This year sucks.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I was out last saturday morning and about shat myself. I wanted to get out to the corner just at grey light. So I hit the surf without any sunlight and without a headlamp. As I got past the bouys seals were checking me out. Kinda erie as I have only been out on a yak four or five times. Then something jumped out of the water right behind me. I couldn't of been any farther than four feet away. I was freaked out. There happened to be a guy out there so I paddled over to him and stroke up a conversation. But really it was just to find a little strength in numbers. I assume it was a seal and not a dolphin, dolphins I think are more dosile than seals. Anyway, I know what you mean by seeming a little lonely on the water.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
madscientist

Thanks Nelz, I really needed to know that. Going to make those dark runs to the pier in the morning all that more pleasant. Good to know that they like jetskis though. :lol:

Did you ask it why its not eating any of the f$%ing sea lions? Then again, if this is the same shark that's been hanging around for a month now, he must have found something he likes to snack on. Haven't seen psychopup in a while. Or Jimm H. Hmmmm.....
Old 05-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Thanks Nelz, I really needed to know that. Going to make those dark runs to the pier in the morning all that more pleasant...
nothing short of a typhoon will stop you Brad.. not worried about you guys.. worried about the "newbie wannabee like Brad's" seeing that, falling off and having a heart attack~!!

saw a "wannabee like Vellocity" this morning(and it wasn't JimmH, well i don't think it was)..
sorry guys, i hope i didn't ruin it for all of us!
no more on the water shots for me!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
dbitte

I feel pretty safe in a plastic kayak, not any metal to give off those electromagnetic signals the GWSs seem to like!!
dbitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
Ryan The Sealion

I'm just glad my dumbass thought it was a mako when I saw it :lol: I had "kill it" in my mind instead of "being killed"
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Huntersmoon

spinal tap...you wienie:)

I'm not scared of any La Jolla shark, if it's not eating seals, your safe Nate!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #12
Ryan The Sealion

Re: spinal tap...you wienie:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntersmoon
I'm not scared of any La Jolla shark, if it's not eating seals, your safe Nate!
don't jynx urself mate
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #13
Dennis

Nice, Nelz. Still waiting to see the thing. :shock:
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
aguachico

Gotta love how the mind just messes with you. Especially paddling solo to the pier. Imagine if there were no lights along Lj's coast. It would like like... blacks beach - pitch black. Dusk and dawn are the worst times to be OTW. The most dangerous thing your do is to get on a California highway and drive a steel box 80 MPH
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #15
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

With all the shark sightings the last month I was a little leary about bleeding my WSB tonight. Still bled it on the water. Didn't want blood in the meat. I would like to see a GWS in the wild, just from the comfort of a boat, not the yak.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #16
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

dido
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
Lit-up1

GWS

Tyler-nice fish.
If you want to see Witey paddle 206 miles south and 100 miles offshore.
Guadalupe Ils.-Very spooky even when in the boat. It's king of cool until
they take 2/3's of your 40# yellow or yellow fin leaving you the head then the novelty wears off fast and they become pests.
They actually hear the anchor chain and show up right away like it's their dinner bell :shock:
If one starts going after you all you do is paddle faster than the guy next to you and youl' be OK.

Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #18
madscientist

Re: GWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit-up1
If one starts going after you all you do is paddle faster than the guy next to you and youl' be OK.

Dave
That's why I like fishing with Chris. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #19
vellocity

here's what they do to 60-70# YFT at Guadalupe!!
you don't even feel them tug, they just bite clean through..

whoops, photo very large.. sorry
Old 05-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Re: GWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit-up1

Dave
That's why I like fishing with Chris. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will race you any day of the week sucka!!! Don't make me put in my scupper plugs, and feather my paddle :lol:
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote