Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
whereubinh

Nocqua 10amp power not powering Garmin striker 5

Have anyone have any issues using a NOCQUA 10 amp power supply on a garmin fish finder and have it shut off after a few minutes of operation? both the striker 5 and power supply is brand new and I am reading that a garmin unit will shut off if it isn't drawing enough power. thanks in advance.
whereubinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
etolentino13
Junior

I own the Nocqua battery and have had problems. The design of the connector is good and bad. Good because it is a watertight secure connection but bad because if you’re not careful, you may insert the plug backwards even though there is a small tab that should prevent it. I have done it. The problem I ran into was that the female end must’ve widened and I had an inconsistent connection. I thought it was the actual battery. I sent it back and they looked it over and it received a clean bill of health. Then I started playing with the connection and found it was that. I bought a new connection and haven’t had a problem since. Hope you find a solution for your problem. Thought I’d share mine.

-Eddie
etolentino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
filippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by etolentino13 View Post
I own the Nocqua battery and have had problems. The design of the connector is good and bad. Good because it is a watertight secure connection but bad because if you’re not careful, you may insert the plug backwards even though there is a small tab that should prevent it. I have done it. The problem I ran into was that the female end must’ve widened and I had an inconsistent connection. I thought it was the actual battery. I sent it back and they looked it over and it received a clean bill of health. Then I started playing with the connection and found it was that. I bought a new connection and haven’t had a problem since. Hope you find a solution for your problem. Thought I’d share mine.

-Eddie
Did you install yours with a fuse?
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
Polychrest
Junior

I'm having voltage issues with my Nocqua. After a full chard with their "pro" charger my Lowrance 5TI shows 12.0v but after 2 to 3 hours it is in the low 11s to high 10s, which is just barely enough to power it. I think Garmins require 11v. I'm going to try one more test before I turn mine into a live well battery.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
whereubinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrest View Post
I'm having voltage issues with my Nocqua. After a full chard with their "pro" charger my Lowrance 5TI shows 12.0v but after 2 to 3 hours it is in the low 11s to high 10s, which is just barely enough to power it. I think Garmins require 11v. I'm going to try one more test before I turn mine into a live well battery.
Yup, that is exactly what is happening. How many times have fully charged it?
I've open a cased with NOCQUA but they have yet to respond.
whereubinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
Polychrest
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereubinh View Post
Yup, that is exactly what is happening. How many times have fully charged it?
I've open a cased with NOCQUA but they have yet to respond.
Less than 5 times.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

Most 12V lithium ion battery packs are 3 cell batteries. Each cell has an operating voltage of 3.7V. 3.7 x 3 = 11.1V

High 10s to low 11s is normal for the battery. If your FF truly will only operate above 11V, then this battery won't work for you. You will probably only get a third of the actual run time before it goes below 11.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #8
etolentino13
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by filippo View Post
Did you install yours with a fuse?
Yes, I did install a fuse.
etolentino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Most 12V lithium ion battery packs are 3 cell batteries. Each cell has an operating voltage of 3.7V. 3.7 x 3 = 11.1V

High 10s to low 11s is normal for the battery. If your FF truly will only operate above 11V, then this battery won't work for you. You will probably only get a third of the actual run time before it goes below 11.
Good info here.

A 12V 10AH battery is 20 bucks on amazon. Hard to beat that. Its bigger and heavier but we are talking about a pretty small battery over all.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Good info here.

A 12V 10AH battery is 20 bucks on amazon. Hard to beat that. Its bigger and heavier but we are talking about a pretty small battery over all.
X2