Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Winston
Junior

2 Kayak Solutions For a Small Car

I want to fit a pro angler 14 and 12 foot standard kayak on a Rav4. I am wondering if any of you have suggestions on trailers or solutions I can use to get out on the water. Also, I found this trailer online and I'm wondering if any of you have used it or recommend it. It's called the haul-master 1195 Lb. Capacity 48 In. X 96 In. Heavy Duty Folding Trailer. I can modify the haul master to fit a pa14 and then I can strap the other kayak to the roof.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
Mahigeer

Trailers make loading and unloading very easy, but what do you do with parking.

If parking in the street on a weekend, you not only have to find a space for the car, but a space behind it for the trailer.

That is providing you have room for the trailer at home.

Something to consider.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
CardShark

That's why I love having a pickup truck with a 8' long bed.

My Malibu Stealth 12 was about 12.5' long and when it was diagonally in my bed hanging out the tailgate, only about 2.5' was hanging off.
So much easier and more convenient than lifting it to roof mount or pulling a trailer.

What about a beater pickup truck?

If you do decide to go the Harbor Freight trailer route, there are several Youtube videos about using it with a kayak.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
FISH11

Talking

Just because you CAN stack up kayaks on a car roof, does not mean it should be done. You should think about SAFETY. A RAV4 is a short wheel base auto and the PA is a BEAST! The weight and size of it alone on top would be the maximum I would even attempt, but if you start adding more kayaks, it will affect the handling, braking and cornering of the vehicle. I would use a HARD crossbar roof rack and not those foam roof protectors and make sure to use bow and stern ropes to keep it secured. The trailer sounds like the better safer option or a larger vehicle. The vehicle is going to get top heavy and more kayaks on the roof of a small vehicle is an Accident waiting to happen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8699de6292973d9efd9913f8457c1933996737af.jpeg (11.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
Winston
Junior

Sounds like a trailer is the way to go. I’ll be sure to get a collapsible one to take up less space. Thanks the the responses everyone, they’ve been very helpful.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Batmann

+1 on the trailer. Yakima Rack and Roll 78"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
Harry Hill

Truck with 8' bed if traveling with just one kayak but I also have a trailer for carrying two. Can't load the Old Town PDL on a roof anymore. Heck, it's a struggle getting it on the trailer rack.