Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
igotpron
Xcoastie

Pumping shrimp?

Wanting to take the kid out and pump some shrimp in Oc. Anyone got some recommendations of where I should look? Was thinking about hitting up simple green and then fishing under the bridge. Haven’t pumped anything in years and wanted to give it a go. If we get skunked she’ll at least have fun picking out the shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:58 AM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
Wanting to take the kid out and pump some shrimp in Oc. Anyone got some recommendations of where I should look? Was thinking about hitting up simple green and then fishing under the bridge. Haven’t pumped anything in years and wanted to give it a go. If we get skunked she’ll at least have fun picking out the shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have experience doing it, not much changes. Look for embayments or lagoons with soft sediments, the best spots are the first turns around a jetty coming from the ocean, sediments pile up there faster than other locations, and the shrimp love it. Make sure to time your harvest with a negative tide swing, and bring a container and some paper towels to moisten and lay on top of each shrimp layer. Lubricate your pump before and after and rinse it well.

Good luck out there, if you have shrimp, it's pretty hard to miss. Loosely tying the shrimp to a very light hook is recommended over threading them on. And they last much longer if you put the primary containment in a cooler with some ice packs.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote