Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > West Coast Whoppers - Archive > West Coast Whoppers 2011

Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Regor
Greg

Lightbulb Ideas for next contest

I did not want to distract from the rankings thread, but I did have some ideas for the next go-around, and some fun facts from WCW 2011.

Of note
~ January was the only month a YT was not submitted
~ WSB were submitted from April-Sep, and then never subbmitted again
~ Total submittals from April thru Sep - 67
~ Total submittals from October thru March - 35
~ Our #1 winner had his last submittal Sep 2011 (lots more fish caught, just no submittal was required after Sep

Some ideas:

Keep the same weight/point system in place as in 2011. This really did seem to be the best way to accumulate points, and it keeps anglers on the hunt for different fish, especially with the changing of seasons, migration of fish.

Have a subset of contests for each species. I know it sounds like a lot more work, but easily controlled, and easy to keep track of (I'd volunteer to help). You could buy in to the species/pot of $$, Go by total weight of Halibuts/TY/WSB. Appears to have been done in 2008?

Have some kind of WCMW (West Coast Mini-Whoppers) - which will keep the entire membership involved in a contest. i.e. One point for each pound of total weight of top 5 Calico caught in one month?

Greg

Last edited by Regor; 04-04-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
RK

Hey Greg I can tell you for certain December was world class local yt fishing....It wasn't December dude, maybe January? I think Eric had one in jan though.
Cool stats I also noticed that it seems like the weights were substantially higher than older years...
I'm with Scallywag on his ideas but who knows or cares,
I really dig the jackpot deal, maybe a year long jackpot?
I also think the 20/30/40 weight upgrade is necessary.
I don't think that puts anyone out too muchif you guys don't think Dana or Cabrillo are holding bigger Hali's your trippin.
It's a great event great competetors and a cool vibe. The good thing is the moderators and judges are actually solid fisherman whatever they decide will be good.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Hey Greg I can tell you for certain December was world class local yt fishing....It wasn't December dude, maybe January?
Fixed - it was January that no YT were submitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
I also think the 20/30/40 weight upgrade is necessary.
IMO - this wouldn't be good for competition. There would be months that would go by without some species being submitted.

Halibut submittals would go from 37 down to a total of 9 - for the whole year.

WSB - submittals would go from 24 down to a total of 11 - for the whole year.

YT - submittals would go from 41 down to a total of 18 - for the whole year.

Of course, a lot of this depends on the number of competitors, but if the lb limits were raised, that may discourage fisherpeople (gotta be gender generic) from joining.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Regor
Greg

Here is one more weight increase idea without going as crazy as the higher suggestion.

BUT - 15
YT - 25
WSB - 35

Based on these numbers, we would have had the following for 2011:
Halibut submittals would have been 17
YT submittals would have been 31
WSB submittals would have been 16

This isn't too bad.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Greg,

Thanks for posting the stats, interesting stuff. WCW has never stayed exactly the same, each year we have changed up something. From the beginning we were happy to have a handful playing and hoped for lots of spectators.

Lets hear more ideas!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
ericko

Regor good work how bout extra points for catch and release if it could be done ??
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
KennyHill

how about adding a bass division...just an idea.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
jorluivil

My suggestion:Those of who who didn't join for specific reasons but wanted to need to speak up, I heard some pretty cool ideas from other guys.

If a beginner, amateur and pro class are created I'm sure we will get more 'fisher-people' to join. Fisher-people can be separated into classes by the numbers of years they have kayak fishing: 0-1: beginner 2-4: amateur 5+: pro. Its hard to compete with guys that can get out 3-4 times a week, guides or those of you that live 1, 3 or even 5 miles from the nearest ocean and can get away as soon as the bite opens.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
RK

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Just keep it the way it is!!!
I can see where this is going. Andy said it best small group lots of spectators.
It's not broke, don't try to re structure the whole thing just make a few tweaks to the existing format.

I would like to make a request to moderators can you guys please issue a "LEGEND AWARD" and I would personally like to recommend Vito as the first honorary recipient!!!!!!
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
monkeyfishturds

Since it's a contest for whoppers, don't handicap the fish. Most pounds should total the winner. Minimum sizes are fair. Halibut 10lbs, Yellowtail 20lbs and White Seabass 30lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Its hard to compete with guys that can get out 3-4 times a week
Your never going to solve this problem, it does make the contest inaccurate.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfishturds View Post
Since it's a contest for whoppers, don't handicap the fish. Most pounds should total the winner. Minimum sizes are fair. Halibut 10lbs, Yellowtail 20lbs and White Seabass 30lbs.

Your never going to solve this problem, it does make the contest inaccurate.
total pounds would make sense if it was limited to one species, 40-50lb wsb are way more common than 40-50lb halibut. Creating a specific class or contest for specific species would make sense if you use total weights to rank individuals, sort of how they do it in the bass tournaments....you can't enter a 10lb hali or a 30lb yellow in a bass tourney, it wouldn't be fair.

keep this in mind, if no one ever improved the wheel we'd be driving $60k cars with wooden wheels, but we don't. Why? because it was improved and made better, FOR EVERYONE.

Last edited by jorluivil; 04-04-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Its hard to compete with guys that can get out 3-4 times a week

Actually....that's not right.... its impossible to compete with guys that fish 3-4-5 times a week. And if you can... you should be awarded the so called "Legend Award" it should come with a 6-pack of dos equis....

"I don't fish often...but when I do, I win West Coat Whoppers!"
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

The species specific idea seems fair because anybody could win in that case. If you don't have a particular species in your backyard, you don't have to enter that contest if you don't think it's fair for you. Get rid of the point system, and just go strictly biggest fish, this would encourage the release of more fish. Everybody likes conservation right??!

A 1st time kayaker could put a sardine down there and catch a 40 pound halibut and win...seems fair...? maybe even monthly payouts or prizes for the biggest fish in its catagory for the month, just to make it interesting.

I also think that a bass division would be popular, especially for the veterans and also for the new guys that are learning to fish off of their yak. A bass division would be great for guys who cant afford to drive down to la jolla, or fish all night, or guys who just don't get the inside info as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Everybody likes conservation right??!

WOOOOORD!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
With new MLPA restrictions and increased fishing pressure in a concentrated area - if there is ANY way to promote a catch and release program that should be brainstormed and researched.
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
My suggestion:Those of who who didn't join for specific reasons but wanted to need to speak up, I heard some pretty cool ideas from other guys.

If a beginner, amateur and pro class are created I'm sure we will get more 'fisher-people' to join. Fisher-people can be separated into classes by the numbers of years they have kayak fishing: 0-1: beginner 2-4: amateur 5+: pro. Its hard to compete with guys that can get out 3-4 times a week, guides or those of you that live 1, 3 or even 5 miles from the nearest ocean and can get away as soon as the bite opens.
good point

Quote:
Actually....that's not right.... its impossible to compete with guys that fish 3-4-5 times a week. And if you can... you should be awarded the so called "Legend Award" it should come with a 6-pack of dos equis....

"I don't fish often...but when I do, I win West Coat Whoppers!"
Quote:
The species specific idea seems fair because anybody could win in that case. If you don't have a particular species in your backyard, you don't have to enter that contest if you don't think it's fair for you. Get rid of the point system, and just go strictly biggest fish, this would encourage the release of more fish. Everybody likes conservation right??!

A 1st time kayaker could put a sardine down there and catch a 40 pound halibut and win...seems fair...? maybe even monthly payouts or prizes for the biggest fish in its catagory for the month, just to make it interesting.

I also think that a bass division would be popular, especially for the veterans and also for the new guys that are learning to fish off of their yak. A bass division would be great for guys who cant afford to drive down to la jolla, or fish all night, or guys who just don't get the inside info as well.
Jorge nailed it, there is no way I'm getting into a competition with a guy that fishes for a living and is OTW more in a month then me in a year.
with that being said I believe that;

1.Bass division a good idea, (This might draw Mr. green out of semi retirement.)
2. biggest fish by class is good too.
3.a "beginner, amateur and pro class" could work nice but at what point to you move into the next class, how do keep guys from sandbagging to stay at a level they are above, definitely a area for discussion by the organizers.
4. Catch and release sounds like a good idea too.
5. what about a category for biggest mac, or most bait made in a trip. Then maybe I might have a chance!!!
looking forward to see what this years competition will bring.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
GregAndrew

I love stats, and for tha matter numbers in general. They can substantiate or discard lots of hypotheses. They can also provide interesting information, sometimes expected and sometimes not so much. I went through this years submittals and came up with slightly different numbers than Regor, but basically the same. I got 38 Halibut totalling 611 lbs, 42 YT totalling 1219 lbs and 22 WSB totalling 1140 lbs. These were the numbers I based my analysis on. The first fun fact that I got was that even though there were almost half as many WSB submitted, there were 11 competitors that submitted them. There were only 9 that submitted Butts or YT. Only 6 people submitted all 3 species over the year, and obviously only 1 in 1 month. And 8 people had at least 2 species submitted.

Now for the meat and potato numbers. YT were the most submitted fish (42), followed closely by Halibut (38) and distantly by WSB (22). The average points earned by a WSB was 41.18, a YT was 40.21 and a Butt was 36.34. The total points earned by all YT was 1689, all Butts was 1381 and all WSB 906. 42.5% of all points earned went to YT, 34.7% to Halibut and 22.8% to WSB. In this contest this year, YT reigned supreme and WSB was the step child.

If you raised the minimum weights to the suggested 20/30/40 here is what the results would have looked like. YT would have been the most submitted (18), folowed by WSB (11) and Halibut (9). The average points earned by a WSB would have been 50.27, a YT 45.72 and a Halibut 45.33. The total points earned by all YT would have been 823, all WSB 553 and all Butts 408. Raising YTs command to 46.1%, with WSB taking 31% and Halibut taking 22.9%.

A couple more fun facts: I believe that all YT and WSB were caught at LJ. Five of the nine 20 lbs+ Halibut were also caught at LJ/SD vs. all of the rest of the south coast (including Dana and Cabrillo).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Regor
Greg

More ideas to chew on:

Contest is per Species.
  • For each species of WSB/YT/Butt - One submittal per month.
  • Winner for each species is top points after 12 months
  • Must have picture/video, with weight & tape shot for pound points.
  • Must have picture/video, with tape shot for C&R (tape, measuring device, paddle with marking, etc)

WSB -
20lb minumum for 20 points + 1 point for each lb over 20
C&r if 40" or greater for 20 points

YT -
C&R if 35" or greater for 20 points

BUT -
10lb minumum for 20 points + 1 point for each lb over 10
C&R if 30" or greater for 10 points

Bass -
Monthly submittal is combined weight of 5 fish - 2 points per pound
C&R - 1 point for each legal bass up to 5 per month

Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
More ideas to chew on:

Contest is per Species.
  • For each species of WSB/YT/Butt - One submittal per month.
  • Winner for each species is top points after 12 months
  • Must have picture/video, with weight & tape shot for pound points.
  • Must have picture/video, with tape shot for C&R (tape, measuring device, paddle with marking, etc)

WSB -
C&r if 40" or greater for 20 points

YT -
C&R if 35" or greater for 20 points

BUT -
10lb minumum for 20 points + 1 point for each lb over 10
C&R if 30" or greater for 10 points

Bass -
Monthly submittal is combined weight of 5 fish - 2 points per pound
C&R - 1 point for each legal bass up to 5 per month

I like

Old 04-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
More ideas to chew on:

Hay Jorge can I borrow your paddle?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote