Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
SoCalEDC

Sunday 11/17/19, Cabrillo

Anyone interested in heading out to cabrillo tomorrow? I plan to fish the morning starting around 6:30-7ish. Drift for halibut and sculpin, and fish for sandies.

Might launch on the beach side and angle for calico and sheepheads.

Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 11-16-2019 at 10:07 PM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
TJones

any of them big JUICY BUTT's

willing to play? the kind Jorge always manages.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
willing to play? the kind Jorge always manages.
No such luck.

Made 4 grunion (I think) for bait, they were pretty big tho (about 8-10" long, and pretty fat), bigger than I have had luck with for halibut. On the paddle in I felt like something might have been tugging at the bait, I let it go for a while but i was pretty sure it as just in the grass. I pulled the bait in and it had a few holes around its tail and rear half of the fish that were consistent with halibut teeth. They were out there, but I think I would have been better off with sardines.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
No such luck.

Made 4 grunion (I think) for bait, they were pretty big tho (about 8-10" long, and pretty fat)
8-10” bait is the minimum size I use when I’m fishing, the last halibut that I landed hit a greenback that was 10-11 inches. When you use large bait you’ll spend more time doing nothing but drifting and less time hooking and releasing bycatch like sandbass but rest assured that when something swallows that larger bait it’s not going to be a small fish.

Go big or or home!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
8-10” bait is the minimum size I use when I’m fishing, the last halibut that I landed hit a greenback that was 10-11 inches. When you use large bait you’ll spend more time doing nothing but drifting and less time hooking and releasing bycatch like sandbass but rest assured that when something swallows that larger bait it’s not going to be a small fish.

Go big or or home!!
Tips from the man himself. Appreciate it. I will have to get back out there soon and give it another go.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:46 AM   #6
TJones

Thanks for report

And tips too.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
boxturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Anyone interested in heading out to cabrillo tomorrow? I plan to fish the morning starting around 6:30-7ish. Drift for halibut and sculpin, and fish for sandies.

Might launch on the beach side and angle for calico and sheepheads.

Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

where are the other lauches for Cabrillo? I usually go out of the boat launch
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
tak100
Recruit

There are two more launches from the beach at Cabrillo.

One on the inside of the harbor but from the beach with no waves and one from the beach outside the harbor with usually small waves.

I hear there are lots of bass in the harbor but I have never fished there. The water is cleaner and there are a few larger models outside of the harbor if you don't mind the surf.

I usually start in the green circle and move up the coast staying right in the kelp. I start at the point and when they stop biting there I move to thicker kelp around the corner. Vertical jigging in the kelp almost always produces. I have only had one bad trip 4 at four smallish fish.

I don't keep anything I catch here. The water is cleaner than in the harbor but it is still right next door.

I would not recommend going through the breakwater opening at Angel's gate. It is not too far but the afternoon wind will be right in your face coming back. I made that mistake once. I thought I would never get back to the beach.

Best of luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabrillo Map-Marked.jpg (74.7 KB, 149 views)
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote