Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Exclamation MLPA Letter writing campaign!!

If you like Fishing SOCAL, please read every word, I tried to be as concise as possible.

I know that the meetings are held during unfriendly times of the day, usually during business hours, so it is difficult to attend.

Many of us have asked how we can help?

Well, this is how... by writing letters, remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil... No this is not a cure-all, it is flank maneuver to the people working hard to preserve our access to our fisheries.

We cannot say we are writing on behalf of any kayak fishing organizations, or our stakeholders, as they must remain impartial, but more likely as concerned citizens, and kayak fisherman.

IF YOU DON'T THINK THE FRINGE ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS ARE NOT SENDING LETTERS, sorry for yelling, then you are mistaken.

A couple notes... Handwritten letters are all personally read. Personally written typed letters are also read. Form letters are often put in a pile but they are weighed to see how much each group cares.

So, to whom to we write our letters.

Re: MLPA map and MLPA process for South Coast Region 2009

Note: Letters without your address on it will be ignored. You need to put your address in the following format:

John Doe
123 Springtime Lane
Sunny City, CA 91234

To: XXXXXX

I have attached a PFD: with sample letters.

These letters are due by 4-11-09, to be considered by the BRTF (blue ribbon task force).

The speardive community has rallied and sent lots of letters. I am asking that you at least send 1 letter to:

Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
c/o California Resources Agency
1416 Ninth St., Ste. 1311
Sacramento, CA 95814

If you really, really, really care... I have attached a cheat sheet of everyone who should get your concerns, and thoughts on this issue that WILL affect us all.

Post up, if you are sending letters, time to rally. This is not the appropriate place to vent on how things should be done.

If you have an idea for letters, etc, please post up.

I have sent my letters, are you going too? Feel free to to use work time, & printers......

Thanks for reading, this thread will continually get bumped until we all do something, this MLPA is happening, it is up to us to voice our concerns to help shape it.

More info to come. Now is the time to act! I'll thow in a for good measure.

Chris Fierro
Attached Files
File Type: doc MLPA Address.doc (27.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf Sample DFG letters.pdf (319.8 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 03-31-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Corey

Thanks for posting this up, Chris. I've already sent several letters, and will continue to send more until the deadline. I hope everyone else is doing the same!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
cabojohn
PROBATION

letters sent!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Dennis

ditto.. thanks chris.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Billy V

I've sent a letter on behalf of every member of my family.

I suggest you do the same, Stamps are cheap.

Do Not put this off, if you would like to continue fishing without being labeled an Outlaw, get busy.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
bellcon

fwiw
i sent the letter
and signed the petitions at the Baytubers tournament
thanks Chris
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
ratdog

handwritten letter sent today, Thanks for the info.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Dan

6 envelopes addressed and the letters are written, and signed. I'm going to have my boys draw yellowtail on the envelopes with crayon so they'll stand out a bit.

Thanks Chris. Nice concise instructions.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
joyjiggin'

Thank you for providing names and adresses!!! I love writing campaigns for causes and so does my mom. I 've drafted a letter already, and will send handwritten letters to all persons named by Thursday. Joy Oshima
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks everyone, keep those letters coming! There are a lot of viewers on this site, and other sites I posted this on, you all should writing letters if, even you only soak the plastic once a year.

If you caught a WSB recently in the kelps in recent weeks, you owe the Fishing karma God, or if atheist, you owe the mathmatical probability that you caught that fish, to write a letter. If you are agnostic, and unsure, then let me make the decision, WRITE A LETTER, if only 1!!!! 11 days to go!! Enviros are writing plenty of letters with their position.

Don't make me call out names! Because it sure wasn't me doing the catching lately....

BUMP!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
tattuna

Thanx for the info Chris! I'll be sending a letter in the mornin.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
fryguy

done...hope it helps

Can I send in many letters addressed from only myself?
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
done...hope it helps

Can I send in many letters addressed from only myself?
If you have wife or kids that wrote letters, they ought to get credit, and be addressed from them...

BUMP!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Matt
Support your local pangas

The wife and I will be dropping our letters in the mail tomorrow with more to follow!! Thanks for letting us know Chris!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
Saba Slayer

letters

Here are some more thoughts to help with your letter writing....

IMPORTANT MLPA INFO CONCERNING YOUR FISHING FUTURE

The State is rushing to create multiple MPAs in Southern California which could include in excess of 20% of the State’s oceans. Supposedly this is to “protect” the ocean and all marine resources.

Anglers are as concerned as anyone that the ocean be conserved and fish populations protected. You know that “irresponsible” fishing can do damage, you also know that other human activities can also have serious impacts. The law says MPAs are supposed to be a balanced plan to protect the ocean, not just a “no-fishing” plan.

THE SOCIOECONOMIC IMPACT IS HUGE: Many Californians make their living on the sea and many more rely on the ocean for fishing recreation and these endeavors support a very large financial pyramid—lodging, boating, supplies, fuel, etc.

THE COST IS UNSUSTAINABLE AT THE CURRENT ESTIMATE OF 30-40 MILLION: The State is essentially bankrupt. The Department of Fish and Game admits is currently does not have the resources to manage the huge array of closures. The net effect is that honest fishermen will stay out of reserves, but poachers will not.

Anglers have good and dedicated representatives spending many hours in highly technical meetings doing their best to guard your interests. But your help is needed to resist the political momentum they are struggling against.

PLEASE WRITE to your State and local legislators and tell them that fair and balanced MPAs are needed.

A simple message is best and it will support lots of other work going on to improve this process. The goal is to educate locally elected officials to the inequity underway, officials that pay more attention to local voices than do the Governor and his troops.

Tips for writing letters:
Short and to the point –focus on 2 – 3 points, avoid long lecturing type letters.
Make it personal –include comments about yourself, work, and community activities.
Don’t blame the legislator for this situation; ask for his or her help.
Avoid confrontational type words, show respect even if that is hard to do.
Written letter is better than email and type your letter if at all possible.
Say thank you!
PLEASE BE A PART OF THIS EFFORT AND PRESERVE YOUR FISHING FUTURE!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #16
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Very good points Jim!

Especially:

Quote:
Don’t blame the legislator for this situation; ask for his or her help.
Avoid confrontational type words, show respect even if that is hard to do

It is important to remember we are asking and NEED their help.

Thanks again, keep on writing, just bought some more stamps, and envelopes last night, busted out the "wide ruled paper," college ruled paper hurts the old hands...

Remember Personally Typed Letters in your own words count also, it is the form letters (previously constructed letter with talking points, we cut n paste, and all send in) that are just weighed not read. So if you rather type, go for it!

chris
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #17
fryguy

Just a quick question....

I know we're supposed to be giving our opinion about which areas are most important to us personally, but is there a consensus about which areas we feel have a higher priority than others?

Is there an "anything but La Jolla" approach - or something like that?
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks Chris, working on it right now.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
Billy V

Have you written your letter yet ? They are due by April 11th.
- Here's one of mine.

To: MLPA Comments,

I am alarmed at the prospect of loosing access to my fishing grounds because of the creation of State Marine Reserves.
My family and I have enjoyed a lifetime of fishing in our local waters and we now fear that our wholesome family activity will soon come to an end because of the rush to create these State Marine Reserves.

I can only hope that our voices are heard and our concerns will be addressed. The tax paying public should have a say as to what happens to the waters we use in our State.

Furthermore I do not see how a financially crippled state like California will be able to maintain and enforce these newly created marine reserves. The cost would be in the 10's of millions of dollars.

This process should be base on scientific evidence and not hurried into place. The large amount of private funding from environmental groups gives cause for concern. I believe these groups should not be allowed to buy their way into this process and feel it is corrupted by the acceptance of private money.

I ask that you make no change to the existing reserve located at La Jolla Shores, or block access to our fishing grounds unless there is good cause derived from scientific evidence.

Respectfully
Billy V

Last edited by Billy V; 04-01-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Good Job Billy V, short, and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
Just a quick question....

I know we're supposed to be giving our opinion about which areas are most important to us personally, but is there a consensus about which areas we feel have a higher priority than others?

Is there an "anything but La Jolla" approach - or something like that?
Good question, our stakeholders are working within the MLPA process to save our fishing grounds. They must remain impartial publicly at this point, so that is why we must write as concerned citizens, and kayak fishermen, not for their lobby.

The ECOTRUST survey is where we had our opportunity to chime in which areas we personally feel are important, for example, Chris' spot to NW corner, .

These letters should implore our legislature, and decision makers to as why you want to keep la jolla open, or your area open, and for their help. This is important, because they are receiving letters as we speak, in opposition, to close all our favorite spots. We must counter, and match what they are doing.

I have attached a couple more sample letters, thanks to the permission of Joe Nguyen of spearboard. Obviously, use these as a reference to help formulate your letters.

thanks, chris
Attached Files
File Type: doc Keep LJ Open.doc (26.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: doc Keep LJ open-kayaks.doc (24.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: doc Keep point loma open a.doc (26.5 KB, 7 views)