Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Billy V

Old School Penn 60 back "In Service"

I've got some old school gear that belonged to my Grandfather. Some of it I used in my pre-teens to fish for fluke, blue fish, and strippers on the east coast.

This old Penn Long Beach 60 was the reel my Grandfather always used and I wanted to put it back in service.

I had opened up the reel back in April 2008 and noticed it was in very good condition. I washed it out with kerosene and set it aside for a rainy day.

Fast Forward to December 2010
Well last week it was raining, and as I was rifling around in my garage I stumbled back across it.

This was a very old Penn 60 with leather drag washers, and a bronze gear sleeve.
I replaced the gear sleeve with a stainless steel model, and installed some carbon fiber drags. I greased, and oiled the components and reassembled the reel.

Its now turning 10+ lbs of drag with good free spool on my chatillon drag scale - smooth as silk.

I spooled it with some fresh #30 p-line and can hardly wait to fish it.
It has alot of sentimental value to me. Some of my oldest memories were fishing with my Grandfather.
(notice the black leather drags and bronze gear sleeve)

Last edited by Billy V; 12-29-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
robmandel

those weren't just good "for their time", they'll still work great. kinda hard to imagine but people used to fish albacore with those things. lord knows how many tons of tuna were caught on those old school penns. how that ever happened before machined aluminum, spectra, flouro, lever drags, and all that, I'll never know

might have inspired me to steal my old man's penn 2/0 caught my first yft on that over 30 years ago.

good for you to keep that thing going.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
bellcon

Very Cool Billy

Rob...
you actually used to fish?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
yakrider

that is so cool!
Gramps is smiling for sure!
awesome!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

I see people using the top of the line reels all the time and yes I too would love to have some of those and will eventually, but I still love the jigmasters that I have. I bought my first one when I was 13, I'm now 38, and the other one I have was my Grandpa's and I have cleaned it up and kept the drag washers fresh and new. I love those old school Penn Reels.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
StinkyMatt

Way to go Billy. Next time you are out you'll be praying for that fish to HIT that one. It will feel good inside...more than usual.

Makes me want to do the same with some old stuff I have....need more rainy days.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
mwm

Billy great post. I still have my first Penn my dad bought when I was five and the reel he used as a kid in the 30s. Some day I hope to do what you have done, and hopefully use them with my grand kids.
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Billy V

I have some other models that are in rougher shape that I will restore soon.

If you guys need any restoration parts for Penn reels - this is the place to go -
http://store.scottsbt.com/Penn-Parts...Page-W7C1.aspx
Mystic Island, N.J. of course

They have everything you will need, including some parts that will modify the reels performance. They also have a "Find The Parts" link for each reel that makes it easy.

If you want a consultation before you begin I suggest you stop by Charkbait here in San Diego and speak to my friend Mike at the shop. (He is very knowledgeable with old school Penns)
Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I have some other models that are in rougher shape that I will restore soon.

If you guys need any restoration parts for Penn reels - this is the place to go -
http://store.scottsbt.com/Penn-Parts...Page-W7C1.aspx
Mystic Island, N.J. of course

They have everything you will need, including some parts that will modify the reels performance. They also have a "Find The Parts" link for each reel that makes it easy.

If you want a consultation before you begin I suggest you stop by Charkbait here in San Diego and speak to my friend Mike at the shop. (He is very knowledgeable with old school Penns)
Hey Billy that's great that you posted that Link, I used that site a few times when restoring some other Penns that I have had.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Very Cool Billy

Rob...
you actually used to fish?

very funny don. yes, I used to. sometime in the future, I just might go fishing again. got this for xmas

http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-Rocket-Ro.../dp/B000CCEVGU

it's supposed to cast a mile. think it'll catch me a yellowtail?
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Gino

When on my cousins boat thats all i got to use as i was the "rental rod" scrub kid who just hitched a ride. havent had a 5 day trip in 5 years...

plenty of YT and Alabacore on that old penn 113hl 4/0 Theres some old timers out there who are still using old penns and newells. they just have them serviced every year.

I trying to find those penns in left hand.
if anyone has any smaller sized left handed penns ill trade, or pay well for them
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
When on my cousins boat thats all i got to use as i was the "rental rod" scrub kid who just hitched a ride. havent had a 5 day trip in 5 years...

plenty of YT and Alabacore on that old penn 113hl 4/0 Theres some old timers out there who are still using old penns and newells. they just have them serviced every year.

I trying to find those penns in left hand.
if anyone has any smaller sized left handed penns ill trade, or pay well for them
Geno,

I have a Penn #140 Squidder in Lefty that is in like new condition, not a speck of corrosion anywhere.
No one in my family was a lefty, so we don't know who it was bought for.
If you want to trade something, or buy it - its yours.

Last edited by Billy V; 12-30-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
THE DARKHORSE

Looks pretty clean, Billy.

I don't know, though, that brass gear sleeve looks fine to me---after all those years. What's the point in switching it out? I'm guessing too much spare time in your case, too .

I bring out the old Penn reels every now and then, but have quit for the most part. For some reason, my weakest link reel always gets bit.

Try fishing a Torium in saltwater for thirty years, yeah right!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
T-Rex

Very cool.

I've got an old Penn LB 60 around somewhere that I need to repair - it has a lightweight plastic spool that I never liked and will probably replace with an aluminum spool.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I don't know, though, that brass gear sleeve looks fine to me---after all those years. What's the point in switching it out? I'm guessing too much spare time in your case, too .

I bring out the old Penn reels every now and then, but have quit for the most part. For some reason, my weakest link reel always gets bit.

Try fishing a Torium in saltwater for thirty years, yeah right!
Yes - too much time.

It was stripped out on the flats - where the handle connects to it.
A common problem with some old Penns. The new ss gear sleeve is much stronger in that area, and is also recommended if you want to use more than 8 lbs of drag.

- It never fails - the cheapest rod and reel set I have always gets the bite.
Good Old Tiger Ugly Stick and Sealine-X
Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
Hunters Pa

Love my old Penns. Multiple Jigmasters, Long Beach, 60, 65, squidder, 114s, 113, etc. Workhorses. Some of them were secondhand, oldest one that was new when I got it is 32yrs old
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
TarheelFXR
Not so Junior, anymore

Billy V

Hi I'm new here. I would love to buy or trade for the lefty reel. I want this for my son's birthday. I'm not a Kayaker but have been down the Gauley 5 or 6 times in rafts and the New in my Mad River Explorer. Please let me know.

I also have a Penn 60 and the free spool lever works in reverse of my other penns, what's up with that?

Thanks,
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Geno,

I have a Penn #140 Squidder in Lefty that is in like new condition, not a speck of corrosion anywhere.
No one in my family was a lefty, so we don't know who it was bought for.
If you want to trade something, or buy it - its yours.

TarheelFXR is offline   Reply With Quote