Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #21
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'm sure it's personal preference, but I feel the bigger the better in open water. I've paddled a 12' kayak and it always felt too short for me. I didn't like that the bow was only 3' in front of my feet, and felt like the short length contributed to it tracking horribly and having a slow speed. I went to a 14' boat and it felt much better, it rode over steep swells better and tracked better too. I wanted more speed though so I went to a streamlined 16' boat, and that felt perfect for length on the water, it tracked like a dream and handled swells like a boss. 6' of bow in front of my feet made it feel like I could punch through anything. If I was younger or a better paddler I'd say this is the perfect boat. But being streamlined it compromised stability, which wasn't bad but at 50 my balance isn't what it used to be and worrying about flipping every time I reached back for bait took some of the fun out of it for me. I opted for the 14' PA and feel that's it's a good length and of course stable too. Tracking isn't too bad and I can peddle it fast enough to be happy. Weight definitely could be an issue though. My advice is to go as big as you can, considering storage, transportation, weight, and cost.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'm sure it's personal preference, but I feel the bigger the better in open water. I've paddled a 12' kayak and it always felt too short for me. I didn't like that the bow was only 3' in front of my feet, and felt like the short length contributed to it tracking horribly and having a slow speed. I went to a 14' boat and it felt much better, it rode over steep swells better and tracked better too. I wanted more speed though so I went to a streamlined 16' boat, and that felt perfect for length on the water, it tracked like a dream and handled swells like a boss. 6' of bow in front of my feet made it feel like I could punch through anything. If I was younger or a better paddler I'd say this is the perfect boat. But being streamlined it compromised stability, which wasn't bad but at 50 my balance isn't what it used to be and worrying about flipping every time I reached back for bait took some of the fun out of it for me. I opted for the 14' PA and feel that's it's a good length and of course stable too. Tracking isn't too bad and I can peddle it fast enough to be happy. Weight definitely could be an issue though. My advice is to go as big as you can, considering storage, transportation, weight, and cost.
Weight is my biggest concern, I'm 67 with a jacked up back. I can lift 100lbs but I don't like to. My camper shell is too high but I've made assists to help me load. I have a good kayak trailer I made but I prefer to not have the parking issues it brings, but it's great to use at Mission Bay, I back down the boat ramp and drop the kayaks right at the water and there is plenty of parking for the truck and trailer. I guess my main concern is going off shore, is 11.5' adequate or do I need longer? It's looking like most prefer about 14' for wave penetration and stability
Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #23
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I guess my main concern is going off shore, is 11.5' adequate or do I need longer? It's looking like most prefer about 14' for wave penetration and stability
I can only speak for the Hobie Revolution 11, not any other brands. Yes, it's more than adequate and I would feel good for anything out front within reason, no less than any of the other mono hull Hobies.

Mark
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #24
tacmik

Well. Now that everyone has given their opinion and everyone has told you that their kayak is the best for them. What to do. Go down to your friendly kayak shop (OEX) and talk to the people that know the different kayaks best. Try out the different ones until you find the one that suits YOUR needs best. i.e. weight, length, peddle, paddle ect. Only you will know by trying them which one is best.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #25
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Well. Now that everyone has given their opinion and everyone has told you that their kayak is the best for them. What to do. Go down to your friendly kayak shop (OEX) and talk to the people that know the different kayaks best. Try out the different ones until you find the one that suits YOUR needs best. i.e. weight, length, peddle, paddle ect. Only you will know by trying them which one is best.
This has always been my plan, try out a lot of different makes and. styles. It won't give me what I need to know about open water but I will get a chance to peddle a bunch. I hope they don't mind if I bring a bass rod so I can see how they are to fish from. Brent at OEX Mission Bay has been very helpful with any questions I have asked and that means a lot when I decide who to buy from
Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #26
Sheephead

If you don't have a bad back and need to put a PA on top of your car, have you tried walking the yak up rather than trying to lift it up? Walking it up lets you use your body to keep the yak propped up and makes putting it on top super easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
I was considering the same thing not long ago. There are many factors involved. In my case, I have a constraint due to the weight of the kayak. I needed to be able to get my kayak on top of my car.

The AP's get serious + on stability (Easily stand on them) and storage, but a - for weight - they are quite heavy.
The Outback has decent storage but you are not able to stand (Or at least I cant). They are definitely lighter than the AP.

For me, the Outback was the choice. Though if I did not have weight constraints I would have easily and happily gone with the AP.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #27
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheephead View Post
If you don't have a bad back and need to put a PA on top of your car, have you tried walking the yak up rather than trying to lift it up? Walking it up lets you use your body to keep the yak propped up and makes putting it on top super easy!
My camper shell makes it tough to do anything but lift one end then push from the back. So I built an aid kind of like the Rhino Lift in that it tips back forty five degrees so I don't have to lift so high. Then at the back I can lift and push and it goes up to the rollers so I can slide it forward to the front cradles. It's all a matter of leverage now. I found this great rubber mat I put at the back of the kayak so it doesn't slide, that was always a problem when I had to lift it so high.