Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Kahouna

Seasick question

So I'm very new to this stuff. I've kayaked out on the big water just a couple times and both were unpleasant. I'm a landlubber from Kansas who has little experience with getting seasick. The few times I've been on a boat, in the ocean, I've never even felt close to queezy.

I don't get green and hurl, just miserable feeling. I'm too stubborn to head in so I tuff it out thinking it will pass, but it doesn't. Last time I took something for it before heading out, but I ended up sleeping away almost half my time on the water. I'm laughing about it now, but I have a feeling it will be an issue. I'm going to try and eat more before heading out and bringing more fluids. Anybody else had this issue? Any other suggestions? I have the wrist bracelet things to try next time too.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

You need this

http://www.motionsickness.net/alertdiver.html

I have seen this work in action. My dad who usually never gets sick got sick on a trip about a year ago. The boat owner gave him 1 pill and in 15 minutes my dad was feeling normal again. I have known many people who would not get on a boat and now with this pill they are going on long range trips. The nice thing about the pill is you can take it before your trip, while on your trip, and it won't matter. The patch form of this you have to put it on the night before.

If you try this you will enjoy your trips a lot more.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
maui jim

Sometimes ginger root works well along with Canada Dry Gingerail
Sounds hoakey but gives some relief. If your not hurling or dry heaving.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Billy V

The key to not getting sick is to eat like a horse.

I'll tell you a another sure fire way to beat sea sickness..... start catching Fish.
I'm not kidding, as soon as the bite turns ON the sea sickness is over.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Riskey Water

I never get seasick but a friend of mine had that problem and his remedy is a couple shots of Jack Daniels and a Budwiser before hitting the water.It works for him so I don't knock it .
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
prowlerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Sometimes ginger root works well along with Canada Dry Gingerail
Sounds hoakey but gives some relief. If your not hurling or dry heaving.

X2
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Seasickness is as much mental as physical. Sure some people are more prone to it than others but if you expect to get sick, you probably will.

I am sure that all the recommendations above will help but until you can hit the water knowing everything will be fine, you will probably still be vulnerable. It's like fear of flying or fear of heights, even fear of spiders. At some point you just have to get past it or it owns you.

I met you last time out. You seem like a strong guy. Toughing it out until you mind understands that being on the water is no big deal may be the best long term solution.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
batty1of3

I like ginger candied ginger is nice to chew on if i start feeling gross also keep your eyes on the horizon not the boat not the water my biggest problem is i start watching the kelp and next thing i knwo i'm chummin
ginger pills from hery's the day before then the morning you go out and the candied ginger fo while you are on the water
also eat a good breakfast though i try to avoid eggs
1 beer can help knock it down too
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
PaddleHP
Scampi

Yeah, seasickness pills get me drowsy too. Bonine is like Dramamine, but gets (at least me less drowsy), but with Bonine and Dramamine you have to take it an hour or 2 prior to feeling sick (or hitting the water).
I generally keep this stuff with me, Motion Eaze, it it natural herbs and flower oils (like lavender and camomille) and place it behind each ear at first signs of seasickness, and doesn't get you drowsy at all. It works for me about 80 to 90% of the time, the other 10 or 20% I pop in a Bonine, and hope that the Motion Eaze re-applications can hold me off till the Bonine kicks in. Been using this technique for years and it pretty much works. Although, I don't get seasick that often but usually have to use just the Motion Eaze about 3-4 times a year.
Also, I have given the Motion Eaze to several other people on cruise boats, other cattle boats and etc... and they always have seen improvemnts or total relief.
http://www.motioneaze.com/ PS. I have never seen Motion Eaze in a drug store like Savon, or Rite Aid only on Tackle shops like Squidco or West Marine sells it too.
Good luck. It's sucks not being able to fish due to conditions. But I ditto, if you hook up and start catching that adrenaline or whatever gets rid of the seasickness.
PaddleHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Rob929

I've tried it all... The very best thing I have ever used and the most effective:

SCOPACE Tablets.

Yes, you have to get a prescription, but any doc will give you the rx if you tell them its for seasickness when fishing.

Take one 30 minutes prior, and you'll be good for 8 hours. No drowsiness. No motion sickness. No joke!
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
rogersmith

I too never get sick on a boat, but occasionally get a hint of it in La Jolla in the swell, especially if its sunny and warm. I find staying hydrated, especially with gatorade, helps. I also second the above post that catching fish help!
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Dan

get some scopace patches from your doc. 100% awesome. no groggyness.

I also find that 2 aleve will take much of the headachy bleck feeling away.

Also, if you wear glasses, try taking them off, that works for my fairweathered, 4-eyed little bitch of a boss
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Trust me you will do yourself much better if you get some Scopace tablets. The ear patch does the same however you have to put it on the night before, the tablets you can take even if you are on the water. Don't take any chances ask your doctor for the Scopace Pills and you will never worry again while on the water. Enjoy your trip, don't be the chummer of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
You need this

http://www.motionsickness.net/alertdiver.html

I have seen this work in action. My dad who usually never gets sick got sick on a trip about a year ago. The boat owner gave him 1 pill and in 15 minutes my dad was feeling normal again. I have known many people who would not get on a boat and now with this pill they are going on long range trips. The nice thing about the pill is you can take it before your trip, while on your trip, and it won't matter. The patch form of this you have to put it on the night before.

If you try this you will enjoy your trips a lot more.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
bluekayak
Junior

Bad tequila

Works every time (or at least takes the edge off the experience)

I don't get seasick myself but used to keep a flask handy for other people and general purposes like when things get chilly

downside is you need a designated driver
bluekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Seasickness is as much mental as physical. Sure some people are more prone to it than others but if you expect to get sick, you probably will.

I am sure that all the recommendations above will help but until you can hit the water knowing everything will be fine, you will probably still be vulnerable. It's like fear of flying or fear of heights, even fear of spiders. At some point you just have to get past it or it owns you.

I met you last time out. You seem like a strong guy. Toughing it out until you mind understands that being on the water is no big deal may be the best long term solution.

Bob
I very humbly agree, and I wish you the best of luck, you will get over it and you'll be stronger.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
Hunters Pa

My brother gets seasick in a bathtub & pretty much gave up the salt. Until he found this

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-W...ss-22047.shtml

Not cheap but nothing, and I mean NOTHING else had worked for him. He swears it is worth it's weight in gold and was worth the $100 on the first trip alone.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Kahouna

I agree on a couple points. I think I am just new to this and need to let the mind/body adapt to bobbing the Pacific. Eating more before I leave and bringing/drinking more fluids is on my list too. Gonna give it a go again on Thursday with the above choices. Hope I don't have to revisit this post for ideas though.

Great ideas all! I made for some interesting research. Hopefully, there will be a fish in my near future to cure me.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
IntrntFshrman

One more for Scopace

Gonna chime in with the others regarding Scopace. Works great for me.

One thing I did was get BOTH the patch and the pills. I put the patch on hours before and have the pills in case the dosage in the patch is not enough.

My doctor then changed the prescription to just pills, so now I take two before going out...not a PEEP of seasickness.

I think there's some truth to the whole mental thing however. I was on vacation at the La Jolla Shores Hotel and went out night fishing with Josh and remembered everything EXCEPT the Scopace.....bottom line, I told myself I was NOT going to get seasick and had a very strong mental outlook towards that and lo and behold, I didn't get any queasiness until around 8am (fished from 3am until 8am) and I attribute that to it being almost time to go in anyways (family was waiting....) so I relaxed my resolve.

At any rate, I'm 'one of those' that gets seasick on the boats as well, so trust in Scopace.
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote