Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
jruiz
Large Member

If you're going to Alaska for salmon, find an outfit that mooches. Trolling for salmon can get pretty boring. Even better, find one that trolls and once you get a hook up, you pull out the mooching rods and everyone gets a chance at fish. Different parts of Alaska produce differing amounts of fish. By volume, Sitka produces one of the most, if not the most, amount of salmon that any of the other areas. That factored in why I chose that area over others. I also recommend going late season. The silvers, which makes up the bulk of your catch, have had a chance to grow in size. They start to rival the size of kings. It's also 10-15% cheaper that time of year. I think halibut cheeks were mentioned in a post. If you want cheeks and collars, be sure to tell your deckhand. He'll make sure it gets in your box.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Mahigeer

Good advise.

Thanks.

I can't believe how cheap are tickets are on Alaska Airlines right now.

Less than $300.00 round trip.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

Went to Cedros late August last year. with CKF(Cedros Kayak Fishing). Jeff and his wife Carrie have a phenomenal set-up..

It is for sure more oriented towards kayak fishing..

Fished 4 days.. Landed 0830 in the morning first day.. headed down the road from the airport to the casita, ate a hot breakfast while the staff greeted us and unloaded all our gear.. an hour later by 0930 just outside the harbor we had our first Yellow in the boat 25+ lb models we likely landed 40-50 just that first day between the 3 of us on the one panga.. 2 others on another Panga..

Day 2,3, & 4 spent fishing hard in the Kayaks.. Fully loaded Hobie New Outbacks, Fishfinders, XL Bait tanks and all.. (Most all fish were caught on Surface Irons) no need for bait tank so staff on the panga kept my bait tank loaded with ice and Tecate

Such a beautiful plane ride, trip scenery... I would recommend Cedros without doubt...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.26.05 AM.jpg (48.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.27.53 AM.jpg (53.9 KB, 44 views)

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

For the angler that has more time than money, a kayak camping trip to either Baja or Alaska are options. I would consider ferrying the camper to SW Alaska. Been there during my work tours on tankers and witnessed many calm days of kayak fishable weather in protected waters and good salmon fishing off the shores.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
For the angler that has more time than money, a kayak camping trip to either Baja or Alaska are options. I would consider ferrying the camper to SW Alaska. Been there during my work tours on tankers and witnessed many calm days of kayak fishable weather in protected waters and good salmon fishing off the shores.
Hey, Johnny Boy.. Planning on taking a trip from Cali, to Fl for Layover to Cuba in Jan. But 3 days in Fl. I land @ FLL and have a Air B n B In Hollywood the first night and south beach the last 2 nights.. Got an extra yak? Would love to get out on the water out there, I would cover whatever costs needed of course

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Mahigeer

There are so many exciting fishing trips out there.

I wish I had the money to do them.

I saw river rafting on calm water in Alaska. Some as long as ten days.

Since I have been to Cedros twice, I am looking into other places. By the way COA has free kayak to use. They are fishing kayaks left by Mr. Sammons, after filming his show.
They are bare, with no toys on them. However, when there is a fast Pangas, not too many want to go on a kayak.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote