Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
Billy V

MLPA Research Vessel/Patrol Boat

I bought this especially for you Meg. I have not settled on a name yet, but some prospects being considered are:
Damage Incorporated and Fatal-Plus.

Love
Billy V

Bait Tank
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Nice...I have a couple names in mind for her, will have to PM you some of the uglier names...

In the spirit of boats with USS, HMS, how about for starters,

the PMS Meg?

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Siebler

I claim the first open spot on a seabass trip

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Dan

that's a nice rig.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
steveooo

Shotgun!

Bad Ass Skiff there Billy!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
driftwood

Oh no Billy! Does this mean your kayak fishing days are over? Are you going to sell your hobie? I'll buy your Hobie if you throw in your bright orange hat. I've been coveting that hat for the last 3 years.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
JoeBeck

That's a nice boat! also is the sad thing about this whole MLPA thing, now that they are taking the enviro friendly kayak fishing spots away many of us will get boats to enjoy doing what we love.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Matt
Support your local pangas

Driftwood.....I called dibs on that hat a long, long time ago!!

Welcome to the darkside BILLY

and for the record the P.M.S KEN or Evan could work.......just an idea
Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
zenspearo

dunno about name but that looks like a screaming baja rig!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
dunno about name but that looks like a screaming baja rig!
I haven't spent much time in Baja but I suppose you are right. This boat tows very easy, like there is nothing behind your truck.

I'm looking forward to subsidizing my Kayak Fishing, and searching out some additional areas in our local waters.
----------------------------
The name Fatal-Plus is a sick joke pointed directly at the environmental terrorists that have caused us so much grief over this past year.
They started a fight that they will not win, I just chose to add another dimension to my fishing. More fishing, not less as they would hope for.

I hope their skin crawls when they think about this.
Google it and you will see what I mean.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I bought this especially for you Meg. I have not settled on a name yet, but some prospects being considered are: Damage Incorporated and Fatal-Plus.
Cool!!!!

Nice skiff kinda like my first one...

........ but bigger and nicer !!!

With a few upgrades....

..... I've had some fun with mine.

You'd be amazed at where you can fish or what you can catch from a skiff that size.

Good luck with it, those Klamaths are great little boats.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
That's a nice boat! also is the sad thing about this whole MLPA thing, now that they are taking the enviro friendly kayak fishing spots away many of us will get boats to enjoy doing what we love.
That's the shame of it: I think some would prefer us off the yaks and back on the sportboats paying money, or at the very least at the fuel dock pumping gas into our boats at inflated prices.

I fish skiffs and Kayaks anywhere from Avila to Ensanada and I'll tell you straight up that the only real impact the proposed IPA version of the MLPA will have to my fishing is with Kayaks.

Kayakers do not pay someone to take them out like on a sportboat, we don't pay slip fees, we do not pump hundreds of gallons of fuel into our vessels like the PB guys do each trip, even the spearos were better off because they at least have dive boats.

Ultimately it was all about money.

They reamed the kayakers even though we have the least damaging way of fishing, and the least impact to the environment, because when push came to shove, it was easier for politicians to give perks to those that had money at stake then just give access to the average guy who wanted to fish cheaply near home.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-01-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #13
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
even the spearos were better off because they at least had the dive boat concessions pushing for their access.
This ain't the case with the enviro-nazis running around boycotting dive boats that take spearos out. It's been that way for a few years.

Throughout this fight, we spearos have approached numerous shops and dive boats asking for support. The dive boats are all reluctant to publicly back spearos because they are afraid that the support will cause a backlash among their sight-seeing or tourist diving traffic (think newly certified tourist divers from Iowa armed with Packard's Monterey Bay Aquarium brochure).

Some of the worst WG3 pushers are non-consumptive divers, and they want to close all of La Jolla. That's the battle we spearos had to fight as well. Here in San Diego, the San Diego Council of Divers didn't lift a finger to help spearos--they have been hijacked by the kelp huggers.

We spearos fought like hell because our backs were against the wall. They were going to exterminate our sport by taking all accessible spearing spots. We had nowhere else to go.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #14
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
This ain't the case with the enviro-nazis running around boycotting dive boats that take spearos out. It's been that way for a few years..... We spearos fought like hell because our backs were against the wall. They were going to exterminate our sport by taking all accessible spearing spots. We had nowhere else to go.
I didn't mean that in a negative manner.

Everyone is fighting as hard as they can.. Kayakers have fought like hell because their backs were against the wall as well.

What I was trying to say is that for the politicians it is all about money.

I think you guys might of got a break on the Farnsworth due to the dive boats that utilise that area, and more power to you if you did.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did not actively work for you in a obvious way, but Farnsowrth will have some spearo access , and the guys that spear at the Farnsworth get there on a Diveboat, charter or spend a lot on fuel in their own boat to get there. That's money spent to fish there and it's about keeping it open so people will spend that money.

Kayaking is a relatively newand unlike the landings, charter boats, fuel concessions and other obvious economic interests, with the exception few locations we can't show actual businesses that will loose money if we get forced out of a given area.

At Farnsworth there were some that could say you close this area we'll loose money, and I honestly think that's the reason they left it open to some forms of spearfishing.

Kayakers couldn't do that, not at Farnsworth, not even at my local kayak hotspot BKR at Point Dume.

If BKR get's closed and they push the kaykers out of there it's not going to hurt any businesses in Malibu. The local businessmen could care less whether I launch at Esco, Malibu pier or at County line.

The sportboats could care less because it's too far from MDR or King Harbor and even the PB guys from MDR hardly fish it so the fuel docks could care less as well.

However those dozen multi million dollar homes on the hill behind BKR have been trying to keep outsiders off their beach for years. Ever see those paparazzi conflicts where some media star slugs a cameraman on the beach? Well that is the beach at BKR. They do not anyone who does not live there on their beach or in their water.

That's what that closure is about. Those rich Fs have lots of money to throw around in Malibu, plenty to spend on campaign contributions to politicians, or even contributions to the environmental groups, so in the end they get their beach closed to the public (riff raff) and we kayakers and the local Spearos who hunt there get the boot.

The Spearos have more options in Malibu then Kaykers because they have better access to the North then we do in times of larger surf. So the kayakers get screwed the worst, but it was still ultimately all about money.

Compare that to Rocky Point.... Rich houses there as well but they are way up on a cliff and there's no beach there, so they could care less.

It's five miles from King Harbor so all the King Harbor Sport boats hit it every day, usually several times a day. The King Harbor and the MDR PB fleet fish it as well pretty much daily. That's lots of money changing hands in fuel food and sportboats.

Every time a bite goes off at Rocky the fuel guys at MDR make a killing because it's close enough everyone goes but far enough away that they burn a shitload of fuel. So when it came to closing Rocky point the money interests: two separate harbors, two fuel docks, sportboats from both harbors, and then the City of Redondo were against a closure and it stayed open.

At Dume with BKR only the Kaykers and Spearo freedivers were there against the closure and we got reamed. At Rocky they had business and money interest behind them and they kept their area open.

Like I said: Bottom line it's all about the money.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-01-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
bellcon

Quote:
We spearos fought like hell because our backs were against the wall. They were going to exterminate our sport by taking all accessible spearing spots. We had nowhere else to go.
Joe, the Kayakanglers who have been with you side by side during this fight
will never forget your sacrifice and hard work.

Thanks Joe for all you and your spearo brothers have done.

We are proud and fortunate to have you as our allies.

NOW...Wouldn't it be nice for the kaykers and spearos to be out numbered by the boaters... say 2 to 1 at this next meeting?

See you on 12/9/09.
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #16
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice rig Billy!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Joe, the Kayakanglers who have been with you side by side during this fight
will never forget your sacrifice and hard work.

Thanks Joe for all you and your spearo brothers have done.
I completely agree....

You know it's funny but as the semi-permanent outsider I know whatever I say I'm probably just going to get shit for it so I'll just tell you what I think straight up.

I think what your two groups (Speros, Kaykers) did in relation to the MLPA is frankly almost unbelievable. Three years ago I would of thought it couldn't of been done. I figure La Jolla was gone, done deal.

The other special interest groups had the money and the power but the shore based freedivers, and Kayakers who had the least political power in the process were able to rouse their public and voice their positions frankly better then anyone else.

People took notice and boundaries and reserves were changed directly because of your actions and the support you were able to raise in your ranks. You guys may feel your loosing a lot but you guys made a HUGE difference. Every inch of la Jolla that will still be open is directly due to your efforts.

Jim
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
Matt
Support your local pangas

Well thanks Jim!! Not sure how that could offend anyone in particular other than maybe some BD'ers

Oh and DUDE you made one helluva skiff!!!!!!

Billy let me know when you want to buddy boat it!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #19
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Looks like fun! Nice rig! Its always better in a tin can!

I'm working on a new bench seat bait tank myself. How many gallons is that one?

Looks like you've got a lot of carpet to rip out, unless you like the smell of blood as I'm sure you'll be spilling a lot of that

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote