Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

MBF @ Irvine 12/10/11

The day started with all the kayakers showing up before 6am. I arrived at 5:30 and there was already a line of 50 or so cars. We got the fees and money for the MBF all squared away fairly quickly. $150 would go to the kayaker with the heaviest stringer.

Several kayakers launched right at 6am and started trolling. In the first 2 hours a handful of kayakers had one trout on board and a couple had already hooked up two. Ron eventually got the first limit by 10:30. I had a big zero and decided to change my rig to something that was working for me in my previous trips to Irvine. In ten minutes, I had my first trout on board.

By 11, Jorluivil had his limit, and was making his way back to the launch. I met up with George and while we were paddling I got my second trout. Ericko, during this time, was heading in as well with two trout on his stringer. At mid-lake, Erick got two more, making 4 on his stringer. I got another hook up near the boat dock when I began to see many of the kayakers coming in to make the 1pm deadline.

At 12:47, Erick was looking for one more trout to make his limit, and I was hoping to catch a decent sized trout to round out my three. Near Woody's Cove, Erick and I hooked up at the same time. We both reeled up our fish and took off to the tackle store. I didn't have a chance of winning, but Erick did with his limit.

In the end, Erick's last fish with just minutes left before the deadline helped him get the win....

1st - ericko - 5 trout = 10.8
2nd - Ron - 5 trout = 10
3rd - jorluivil - 5 trout = 8.27
4th - Anthony - 4 trout = 7.10
4th - roby - 4 trout = 7.10
5th - tagyak - 2 trout = 5.2

mtnbykr2 = 3
stinkymatt = 3

Ericko

Ron

Mr. 2000
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
eertkao
Steve-O.

Looks like you guys had a good time! I'd like to join you guys next time if possible
eertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
StinkyMatt

Congrats to Erick for his limit!

Once again proving that fishing has NOTHING to do with skills!

Seriously, good job Erick!

Great job George our fresh water "Virgin" for making a strong showing with his miniature trout.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
ericko

Thanks roby for setting this up it was a BLAST.....Matt wtf happened you were an ELITE fisherman hell you followed me all over the lake and only 3 fish and not making it in by 1pm deadline ..For me it started slow headed strait for the dam mad my loops and at 8:30 i had my 1st fish the largest at 3.2 lb and then nothing for quit some timeso i changed up the plan and headed in and got fish #2 decided i nead big fish so headed back out to the dam tag yak says hello and proceeds to run over my line for a half hour delay (thanks tim). at the dam Matt and i have 2 fish each make a couple passes for nothing so i start heading in at 11:45 in the middle of the lake #3 still on the way in 12:10 ish fish #4 at this pointi no im close to the money but need #5 many of us are headed in and at 12:45 ish im realing my lines in and BAM #5 HITS im thinking dont break off and can i get in within time. With Roby the time keeper next to me i no im good....

The lure of choice was a rapala f-5 BLEEDING HOT OLIVE not easy to find but there is a store by the 55 fwy and champman that has them ( i think its fisherman hardware) not sure of the name

George i must say you put the presure on my pride would have been crushed with all the smack text during the week Well done
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
YakMedic

Roby thanks for setting this up. I fished all day and all I caught was a big skunk. I had a multiple hits and a couple hook ups but never brought any to the yak. Had a great time out there, I proved to myself once again how horrible of a trout fisherman I am.

Congrats to Erick
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

First of all I want to say thanks to Roby who coordinated this tournement,
no muss no fuss, even when some people didn't show, I didn't realize you prepaid, but everything worked out ok with getting rid of the additional passes to someone in the tackle shop...
Congrats to Erick taakin the money fish home, I enjoyed seeing everybody, and being able to put some new faces to some day to day names...
This was a perfect example of what BWE is all about, and I am glad I am a part of it.
Kendall appreciated the warm welcome from everyone, and being able to meet the guys who tell all the "stories" on "fishbook".
I think that this is a definate "do over" and I would like to get an overnighter together sometime soon, thanks to all who attendeded, it was nice meeting those who I haven't before, I had a blast.
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
danjor

I also want to say thanks for setting this up it was fun. I only ended up with 1 small trout. Found out I was trolling to quick. But on the plus size I got my personal best large mouth bass at about 5lbs and another one slightly smaller. Didn't take a pic but 3 of you guys saw me hold them up. To bad bass didn't count for the competition lol. But I had fun, was cool to meet all of you, we gotta do somthing like this agin
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Congrats Eric! Nice 2+ pound average looks like a fun morning.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
kobra

Congrats to Eric and the rest of the top 5.
You sure know how to throw a party roby.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
yaksailor

Looks like fun times out there, guys. The conditions here in the 805 were just too good yesterday, so I didn't make it to Irvine. I'll plan to go sometime in the next couple of months when rock fish is off-limits.
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Roby thanks for setting this up. I fished all day and all I caught was a big skunk. I had a multiple hits and a couple hook ups but never brought any to the yak. Had a great time out there, I proved to myself once again how horrible of a trout fisherman I am.

Congrats to Erick

Matt, here is a picture before the skunk

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
wiredantz

some more pictures

my day was an epic failure just like matts, but then the lake decided to hand me some fish

and then matt came in about 45 mins late trying to get abite

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 12-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
jorluivil

The Fish Bandit strikes again!!!!!

Hope you and your family enjoyed the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
wiredantz

It was delicious, but i had to put 3 of them in the freezer. Just two were enough to feed 2 adults and 2 kids. Thank you

Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Looks like a good time guys. Working on weekends sucks. But on a brighter side, I caught the same number of fish as Frank and saved the 22$ lake entry. Congratulations Ericko.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Matt, here is a picture before the skunk

That's when I was still optimistic about my trout catching ability.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Anthony179
A.T.

Good Fishing

first off, i want to thank roby for setting this up. most my fish were caught trolling a pink tuna feather. it was actually a pink Diawa SC shiner. had three bumps and lost two. i had 4 fish at the weight-ins. after the weight-ins i went back out and caught my fifth fish by 2. my friend fished from shore and only caught 1 fish all day. so he put it on my stringer to take pictures. congrats to you erick. good thing you caught that last fish on the way in. hope to see you guys out their again.
Attached Images

Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Thanks for putting it on Roby! We had fun out there, sorry I couln't make it to the weigh in....I was looking out for my buddy who has a little bit of a problem...hey nobody stopped by for steak and lobster....I guess sometimes you can't give it away???....Good job eric!!! NIce win...I guess we know who turned out to be elite after all...!

Tony.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I guess we know who turned out to be elite after all...!

Thanks for noticing. I really appreciate the comment

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote