Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

My Sympathies to All of You

I lived most my life in North San Diego County. At one time; it was the best place to live in the world. Everything was there; beach, surf, open space, mountains, desert and mostly great, mellow, open-minded people. We fished in the ocean off longboards with milk crates bunjeed to the nose long before there was such a thing as kayak fishing.
Slowing but surely, the word "NO" started to appear; No Trespassing, No Surfing, No Alcohol, No Dogs, No Parking, etc. Then came horrendous traffic and crowds everywhere, all the time. Developers and the politicians in their hip pockets took over. Now; the ocean wasn't important; the ocean VIEW was. The blue water turned from blue to green then from green to gray. We got sick from being in the water. Beaches disappeared from erosion.
Like many of you; I saw my wonderful lifestyle being taken over by out-of-towners who moved in and six months later were bellowing loudly how they were the "locals" and should change things to suit their needs.
I tried to be part of the system; I went to meetings, wrote letters to politicians and government officials when I though things were not right. Finally, the city council for life of the city I lived in and had a business in for more than twenty five years told me to get out of town when I complained about auto repair shops; one of them repairing city vehicles, dumping oil and antifreeze into the storm sewers and into the ocean; four blocks away.
I loved fishing at La Jolla. Caught lots of fish; threw almost all of them back. When the Children's Pool/sea lion deal started up; I knew from my previous experiences with government that the day would soon come when the Cove would be closed. The Cove was my last stand; the last place I could paddle away from the crowds and insanity of SoCal to the only worthwhile place to be; the surf and coastal waters of the Pacific Ocean.
So I left for good. I would say I miss it; but I don't. I miss the way it was many years ago; but time doesn't run backwards. I do feel sorry for all you losing the Cove and even more sorry for your frustration with the political/government process; because I know how it will end.
There may be no other place just like La Jolla; but there are other places; great places to live and fish. Now, like I did, you all might have to look around and see where the road might lead.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Dan

If there is another place where I can make a good living, raise my kids in a safe neighborhood with great schools and friends, surf some fun empty waves (on a certain marine base), pull on yellowtail and lobsters, I'll find it.....till then, I'll just have to tuff it out.

I do know where you're coming from tho...every time I go back to my hometown, I freak on how crowded the surf got....although Bakersfield-by-the-Sea is still pretty cool..

Gimme 20 years....I'll be joining you up in the PacNW with 10 zillion other Californians
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Matt
Support your local pangas

Oh don't cry for us just yet........we have not yet begun to fight my friend!!