Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Necron 99

When Animals Attack: Drama in real life.

I'm new to this game. I've been fishing out of LA Jolla lately. The other day I went out and dodged lobster pots all morning fishing the kelp edges. Mainly trolling mackerel, one fly lined and one dropper looped. Other than seeing a couple barries chasing sardines, I got no love. I decided to try to troll along the edge of the canyon with the dropper loop as I always see marks on the fish finder at around 120 feet, never gotten a bite there though.
I saw a sea lion working his way along the canyon edge coming towards me. Sure enough, after passing me he grabbed my bait. I got it away from him and he chased it all the way to the yak. He looked kind of pissed. He then started swimming away about 50 feet and coming right at me at full speed. Ever played chicken with a sea lion? At the last second, he would drop under the yak. After about four of these passes, I started to think that he might dump me if he hit me, and gave him the chewed up bait. We then parted ways. I hope I haven't encouraged bad behavior, but he seemed to be getting more and more worked up on every pass. I didn't feel like going for a swim. Any thoughts?
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
ctfphoto

Sea Lions are very aggressive. I just get more aggressive.

One tried to steal my WSB and I got it back from him with no damaged and a little fight.

Another grabbed a big sheepshead that I had hanging over the side and almost flipped me. I got that fish back with no damage as well, but I did loose a fishing pole in the ordeal.

Two holes in my hoop nets from other dogs.

I like the sea lions as I am a nature lover even tho they are a pain in the b..

They make great stories ....

Last edited by ctfphoto; 10-11-2012 at 07:42 AM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Deamon

I was out bugging one time and I had a very aggressive one that had me just a bit concerned. I knew this dog could've messed me up big time...banging the yak and throwing things at him (Coke cans) only agitated him further.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
J.Mac
Junior

I made a Hawaiian spear gaff to "gaff my catch." ;-) but its also nice knowing I have some sort of defense to poke back
J.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Deamon

With the effervescence glow in the water at night, this beast kept charging me blowing his lungs out underneath and around the yak. It was a trip and I was thinking at any time, he was going to jump the yak, grab my stash of macks and flip me in the process.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
taggermike

The dogs can be a serious PITA no matter what you fish from. They're just way more intemadating when you're on a yak. They have been trained that boats=fish and are damn good at it. I have had fish taken by dogs but never attacked or bumped. I have had the huge knotheads come in VERY close and then come up out of the water high enough to look down in to the tankwell and cockpit. Sorta "shopping" you might say. I try to always be mindful that they are out there and just take defensive meassures. I don't hang fish over the side or leave fish in plain view on the deck. When a dog bites a bait and all I get back is the head I don't throw the head over board until the dog has split. Like being in bear country, make precautions a habit. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mac View Post
I made a Hawaiian spear gaff to "gaff my catch." ;-) but its also nice knowing I have some sort of defense to poke back
Bad Idea Mac. try a paintball marker, aim for the back of the neck.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.pdf

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
OutdoorAdvntr

have you tried stuffed(habanero, ghost pepper, etc.) bait and throw it on him? so it will think that what you have is no good
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Baja_Traveler

Wrist rocket and a bag of marbles - that will get it's attention in a hurry.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
tehburninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Bad Idea Mac. try a paintball marker, aim for the back of the neck.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.pdf

youre right, the only thing that looks fun on that list is the paintball marker
looks like another toy for when the fishing isnt the best
tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
Necron 99

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try the bear country method. Keeping the deck clear, not hanging fish over the side, etc... As a last resort, I'll have to try some of the other methods. I have never heard of anyone getting mauled by a sea lion.
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Drake

A slingshot and some Ice cubes.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
taggermike

I don't think a sealion would straight out attack you unless you messed with a bull on a breeding beach. But like any big powerful carnivore, if you get between them and what they want to eat you can get hurt. Crap, i've been knocked aside by a horse heading for the alfalfa. Imagine a 600 lb dog haulling out on to your yak to get a fish and then both of you going back in to the drink together. I wouldn't call that an attack, but still. Deterents are just that, deterents. If they really want what you have they're going to get it. Talk to the guys that work on the bait recievers. If you've seen vids of the males fighting on the beaches you know that a paint ball or high speed marble is nothing compared to the hits they give each other. I doubt a .22 would make it through there hide, fat, and muscle to hit some thing vital. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote