Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Lipripper92592

Custom IOS/Android DFG MLPA app

All,

I've started to put together an online mapping program that will allow you to view your present location with the DFG MLPA map in the background. This application can be used in either Android or IOS applications so it is quite flexible.
The viewer is free in all modes and can be viewed on a desktop or laptop but will not have GPS capability unless you have a USB gps puck installed.

To view the maps on on your phone download the Arc GIS app which is free in app stores. You can view the desktop version through this link:

http://bit.ly/UdLMbo

Copy and paste it into your browser. For the phone app, once you have downloaded and opened the app, search for MLPA maps and you should find the correct map. The title of the map is CA DFG MLPA Map 2-Copy . When you create an account with Arc GIS, you can PM me your user name and I'll add you to a group that has access to all my present and future maps in regards to the MLPA.

Once you have opened the map, you will notice the MLPA outlined over the Bing Hybrid maps. If click the MLPA area it will give you the name, if you click the icon in the area it will open a hyper line with the relevant DFG regulation for that zone along with coordinates. If you activate your gps on your phone, you will have your present location. This service is not tracked like the DFG application. I will add to it and expand the present map to include all areas of the MLPA's. You can change the background map by tapping the on the bottom right side i button. This will open up the Map Layers tab, tap the Bing Hybrid Map arrow to open up the default available background layers, ( ocean floor, topo, street map, etc), tap the new layer you would like as a background, then tap the map icon in the top left corner to return to your map with a new background image.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems accessing the map and I'll do my best to help you out.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
dbarnett66
Danodog

Awesome! Lots to digest. I will have to experiment later tonight. Thanks for the effort!
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Nice work and thanks. keep us posted

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
1morecast
Junior

Doesn't DFG already have a mobile app for this?
1morecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
MuddyMike

nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morecast View Post
Doesn't DFG already have a mobile app for this?
Yeap, would you rather not have choices?
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
PAL

^Some people prefer to keep their location data out of the DFG's electronic hands.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Nicko
Junior

You can plot a "route: on your chartplotter using the same GPS coordinates given in the MPA and a red line will appear on your plotter screen, that looks similar to the MPA maps.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
^Some people prefer to keep their location data out of the DFG's electronic hands.
The dfg app was good until I noticed what Paul mentioned.

X2

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Lipripper92592

One of the reasons this was made was because DFG logs your location when the app is active. I'm heading out in the morning and will update the map based on field use and suggestions.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Lip ripper, this rocks. Great set of skills to get something nice like that put together.

Many fishermen thank you.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Thanks for looking out for us bro!