Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
dmayhem
Junior

Store kayak at a marina?

Hey all,
I am looking to get into kayak fishing and was wondering if any of you a.) store your kayak at a marina or b.) even know if this is possible without having a slip first. Currently I drive a 350z and would need to setup a trailer for a kayak, but figured I might be able to store one in Mission bay or or the harbor until then.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle
dmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Gigafish

Yeah i know you could but it gets expensive. It's a good idea for a temproary thing but it quickly adds up. You need to get down to Mission bay and find out the storage rates. Good Luck
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
dmayhem
Junior

I suppose an additional question might be does anyone know where to get a cheap trailer or have plans on how to make one?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have two suggestions. You could probably rig up a jet ski trailer to work with a kayak but putting a hitch on a Z-car might be a challenge.

I know that there are roof racks that can be adapted to work on your car. I saw a guy a few months ago with a yak strapped to a Porsche. Maybe not the best idea but probably doable.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
dmayhem
Junior

Yeah I have seen this http://boofsquire.com/ , but am unsure about a 10ft+ kayak on that thing.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
maui jim

You need an old beater fishing truck, One that likes salt and rust, and the interior that can handle that squid ink and smells like fish and spilled coffee, it will probably cost as much as storage after the season.....after all you will be catching fish and hauling gear.....

Leather seats can hold that stank and stain real good...

A truck for fishing...a "Z" for trolling....life's good.........
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
jasonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayhem View Post
Yeah I have seen this http://boofsquire.com/ , but am unsure about a 10ft+ kayak on that thing.
i'd pass on that one. just noticed it has a max capacity of 50 lbs. I think you'd be a little over that or very close with most fishing kayaks
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
dmayhem
Junior

Agreed the Z not the best car for fishing, but I don't think a beater truck is in the cards right now. I know they make hitches for the Z so worst case it means I just have to trailer it. Not like I will be towing anything huge weight wise.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

trailer

You just described my 4WD Ford F-350 Crew Cab PU! IT's a 1985 with only 90K miles on it, but has a thirsty 460 Big block motor and 4 on-the-floor!

Any ways, if your looking for a cheap trailer, try Harbor Freight. I've seen a small trailer go for $150 new on a blow-out sale with a 20% discount coupon. Although you might get the same wheels we use for our yak carts!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
dmayhem
Junior

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...res-42708.html

Awesome recommendation. Could modify that with a longer tongue and get pretty close. Thats pretty cheap. How much is it to keep a yak at the marina? From the sounds of it a lot of $$$.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...res-42708.html

Awesome recommendation. Could modify that with a longer tongue and get pretty close. Thats pretty cheap. How much is it to keep a yak at the marina? From the sounds of it a lot of $$$.
I have checked out that trailer in person. It is a great value. Not something that you would want to take cross country but for your purpose, it might be something to consider. I have considered picking one up to haul mulch for my garden.

The problem with light weight trailers like these is that they tend to bounce around quite a bit, especially if you do not have much of a load.

I would check with someone who knows about trailers, (that would not be me), and make sure you know how they might perform with just a kayak on board, towed behind a small car like yours.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Whizz Bang

Given the parking nightmare at LJ..... take a lesson from josh and his pristine BMW. Foam and a few tie down straps will solve this problem, also duct tape and paper clips never hurt.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
tony

Whizz Bang has a good point there.......
I used to haul my kayak on top of an 87 Sprint. It looks ridiculous....like the car should be in the kayak instead ,but it works. That slanted roof on the Z is a worry tho if you've got a lot of freeway miles ,so strap her down good and drive slow.....Dont crank it down too tight around the scuppers or else you'll develop leaks
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
dmayhem
Junior

Yeah that was my worry as its all slanted. I prob could steal the gf's mini, but I don't know that will work much better lol.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
bluesquids

How about a smaller yak. The mini x handles much like a larger yak in many ways, of course there's trade offs. At 9' I can put mine in the rear hatch of my moms Prious and I've car topped it on my wifes Civic. At 40 lbs or so it's an eazy carry/lift.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
cjthomas

duct tape a paper clips??? Can you elaborate?
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #17
jasonb

Quote:
Yeah that was my worry as its all slanted. I prob could steal the gf's mini, but I don't know that will work much better lol.
ok, if you use the mini you better take and post some pics of that. I can just imagine how that would look, haha
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
old_rookie

Quote:
I suppose an additional question might be does anyone know where to get a cheap trailer or have plans on how to make one?
ha ha - get a kayak cart and pull that behind your Z.... not a good idea.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote