Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Zurc
Junior

Hello Form 29 palms!

Hello everyone! My name is Hector and I am from the lovely city of 29 Palms, CA. If you don't know where that is at I live in the high desert about an 1 hour from Palm springs... I was born and raised in Miami, Fl and have fished since I was about 10 years old. This is the farthest I have ever been away from the ocean and not by choice! I am a Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps and i got sent here 2 years ago. I have been fishing since I have been out here but on a charter boat out of san diego(3 hours away). Recently I came upon an article that introduced me to kayak fishing and got hooked. I have been jumping from forum to forum reading and studying up so I can get started off on the right foot. Can't wait to speak learn and possible meet some of you soon!

Respectfully
Hector Cruz
Zurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
WahooUSMA

Thank you for your service......

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Dan

Staff Sergeant Cruz,

If you want some pointers or need a ride along out in La Jolla, let me know.

You've put some time in for us, I would be happy to show you what I know.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Zurc
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Thank you for your service......
It's My pleasure!

Dan:
I really appreciate the offer but right now I do not have a kayak. I am looking for one but there are so many to choose from it is of kind overwhelming! My fishing gear I need to take out of the garage and look it over it's been in storage a while. Hopefully I can take you up on that offer!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Kahouna

SSgt:
I'm at Pendleton and I think you can rent from base, or they guys at OEX in Oceanside might be able to get you hooked up. I've drifted the harbor with slim and no luck. Been thinking of heading to the big water from O'Side harbor if I could find someone with knowledge of the AO.

I'm a boot at this too, so I'm soaking intel up as much as possible. Good crowd with a lot of quality people that'll answer about anything you can ask.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Zurc
Junior

Kahouna:

You know whats funny I didn't even think about that

Are the kayaks on the pedelton any good and are they set up for fishing? I will probably pass by the rereational rental here in 29 and check out the kayaks.... Man I hate being far from the ocean!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Kahouna

Let me ask around. I've never rented there, I think everyone goes out to OEX, or somewhere (?) at Oceanside harbor. The one group that I know of were not set for fishing.

Ask the guys there who to contact down here. I'm sure they know each other from another life.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurc View Post
It's My pleasure!

Dan:
I really appreciate the offer but right now I do not have a kayak. I am looking for one but there are so many to choose from it is of kind overwhelming! My fishing gear I need to take out of the garage and look it over it's been in storage a while. Hopefully I can take you up on that offer!
I have an extra Hobie that I keep as a spare for friends and family. If we can sync a date and time, it would be my pleasure to fish with you. I'd even cut you some slack for being a Marine....Just kidding.

Very Respectfully,

Roger
BEAT NAVY!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Zurc
Junior

Quote:
I have an extra Hobie that I keep as a spare for friends and family. If we can sync a date and time, it would be my pleasure to fish with you. I'd even cut you some slack for being a Marine....Just kidding.

Very Respectfully,

Roger
BEAT NAVY!
Wow Roger thank you for the offer!

I would love to take you up on the offer, but i think I would be holding you back if I went out with you, I have never Kayaked before so I would slow you down allot. If your patient enough for a real newb I will take you up on this offer. Send me a PM and we can talk a little more about this.

Respectfully,
Hector
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
kobra

Kudos to you Roger. That's a really cool thing to do for Hector. Bonus karma points.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
WahooUSMA

Hey Hector,

We are thinking about going out Tues in NP for an evening bite of Mr. T's. I will keep you posted. Let me know if you would be interested. I'll bring the extra yak...you just show up!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
JPBeck
Noob Supreme

I have an extra kayak too, a Corbra Explorer-- let me know when you want to go out. I live in Riverside (down the road from you).
The first time we'll just take the yaks out and paddle-- go through the surf a few times. Get you dialed in-- I can draw some pictures for you if you need the extra help-- I know how you Marines learn.

Let me know.
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
I can draw some pictures for you if you need the extra help-- I know how you Marines learn.
Hey now !

(USMC 1982-1986)
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Zurc
Junior

Quote:
Hey Hector,

We are thinking about going out Tues in NP for an evening bite of Mr. T's. I will keep you posted. Let me know if you would be interested. I'll bring the extra yak...you just show up!
Hey Rodger,

Thank you for the invitaion and I would take it in a heart beat but I will not be able to make it. The only time i can really make a trip over to that area is the weekends, or over a holiday weekend where I have some more time. I have to drive 3 hours to get to the coast.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Zurc
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
I have an extra kayak too, a Corbra Explorer-- let me know when you want to go out. I live in Riverside (down the road from you).
The first time we'll just take the yaks out and paddle-- go through the surf a few times. Get you dialed in-- I can draw some pictures for you if you need the extra help-- I know how you Marines learn.

Let me know.

Hey JP,

Thank you for the offer! I would love to take you up on this offer as well. Hey Mayne we can even get with WahooUSMA to join us and you guys can make "make fun of the Jar head" I'm pretty sure you guys will get a couple of good laughs! Let me know you would like to do it and I will see if i can make it happen. Thanks again

Hector
Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
MVC

I have a son that was stationed at 29 Palms a few years ago. Some of his friends are still there. Some of them never came back from Iraq. Are you an LAV crewman?
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
Zurc
Junior

No. I am a radio tech... Right now working at the school house (They said I needed a break after 4 deployments). I have known a few LAV crewmen in my 11 years and there good bunch of Marines to know!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
JPBeck
Noob Supreme

We can go next weekend if you'd like-- I'll be spear fishing out near Crystal Cove (found a really nice kelp bed I want to hunt in.). The entry there is a cake walk-- and good place to learn-- going up that hill will get your heart rate up but if my fat arse and skinny arse wife with 4 year old in tow can do it-- so can a battle hardened Marine such as your self. I'll even let you use my yak as it's a bit more stable.

Let me know what you want to do and when you want to do it---You've earned it. I'll even let you ride in the front seat-- as opposed the the truck bed.

I got an extra Riffe/ freediving set up in case you want to come over the dark-side and spear fish. Ducks for cover--

I love making fun of Marines though-- it's part of my charm.
Let me know-- Keep your powder down and your head dry or something like that

USN AO2/EOD
(1991-97)
Old 08-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
Zurc
Junior

Hey JP,

Sounds like a good idea! let me present it to the wife and se what she says. Maybe we can make it a family afair wives can mingle I have a 4 year old son myself. Let me know what you think and I'll send you my info so we can talk it over a little better.

Respectfully
Hector
Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #20
JPBeck
Noob Supreme

Hey Marine-- I got your number and I'll call you in the morning sometime. Let's get out there on the big blue and have some fun!