Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-27-2016, 02:31 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Asuncion Visitor

I am enjoying a nice visit by Roger Leonard (Druko on Big Waters Edge) who stopped by for a few days on his way to Abreojos. We have had stellar fishing for some bruiser yellowtail and some of the best calico fishing that either of us have ever seen. I think because I concentrate on yellowtail fishing I fail to give the area the proper acclaim for the outstanding calico bass fishing. Druko spent the better part of 2 days hunting the checkers and was landing fish after fish in the 5 pound range with several of the 8 to 10 pound models. I believe he has permanently altered the fingerprints on both of his thumbs. We have gone a combined 5 for 16 on these tanker YTs. I decided I would harvest one today and kept a nice 22 pounder. Unfortunately I landed another that had some pretty torn up gills by the end of the fight so I had to keep that one too. That one went a about 31 pounds.

Now for an unbelievable story in which I avoided a major major hassle thanks to the local fishermen. I headed back to the launch a bit early, hoping I could catch some of the returning local fishermen in hopes of giving away one of my yellowtail. I landed and at about the same time one of the locals came in rowing his dingy from the mooring spots a bit off the beach. I helped him get his dingy up on the sand and he reaches into his pocket and hands me my car keys. Needless to say my jaw dropped. Apparently they had flopped out of my pocket when I launched in the morning and this guy just happened to spot them in 3 feet of water and picked them up. No one at the launch in the morning had lost them so they came to consensus that they belonged to that crazy gringo kayaker. I obviously found a home for my excess yellowtail. I tried to give him both but he would only take one.

Name:  SAM_0480.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  55.9 KB
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:56 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Nice work on the tails, that is one lucky story about the keys. What would you have even done in that situation? Hopefully you have a spare down there somewhere. Or a couple...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:11 AM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Do you have a pressure cooker......

For canning your fish it's excellent with olive oil garlic salt water jalapeño peppers and easy to do
Old 09-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
Deamon

Great karma earned by you always Rossman!
Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Radical, the pangueros must love you! Total legend status Rossman. Reckon the water must be pretty clear down there if you can find the keys just like that.

You should write a book dude. So do you typically launch from there? At the panga launch there in town, or around the point? Is there ever surfable waves there? I'm jonesing to check out Asunsion really bad. I hope Druko puts a post together!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Zed
BANNED

When I was there May-June there was some big S Hemi bombs. Saw many empty o/h lefts spitting. Rossman got a dose of vis overload when a rogue refraction jumped up in 70ft and almost took him out while trying to get pix of a-frames breaking on an adjacent reef. He got an eyeful of deadly green water. There was a lot of water moving that day and shooting the reef was puckering on launch n land. This was @ San Roque.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
Lipripper92592

Sounds like you are around good people......can't ever have too many of those.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote