Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
JarrodMc

Last week of April in LJ

Between reports from friends and time on the water myself, it looks like last week was good up until the wind got pretty gusty and these big swells started to move in. Even then, those who were ballsy enough to get out seemed to have done alright.

Here's my quick report from Wednesday the 29th.

Launched at the Jewel about 6:30, quickly made a tank of bait and started throwing iron outside the kelp line. Wasn't really able to troll much early on between the dogs and cormorants eating my bait before the fish had a chance. As I start marking bait and some fish in a particular area, a dozen or so fish boil on bait all around me but of course couldn't get them to chew metal or greenies; it was still fun to watch though! Finally able to get a bait back in the water to troll, I started making my way around the outer edge and just off the kelp a little when I saw a pod of whales working their way towards the inside/canyon area. Quicker than I expected, they started popping up pretty close to me! Closer, and closer until I could just about feel the mist and make eye contact with one of the Grays. Take a look at the pic and you'll see one of my snapshots of a few that came up to say hi.

After making friends with the group headed back north from Baja, it was time to find those fish that wanted to chew.

Paddled around with my friend for a while till about 11:30 when we saw them start popping off again on the surface close to us. We still couldn't get them on iron but shortly after they came up we both got hit. After the dust settled we both had 25# yellows loaded in our game bags!

On our way in, we saw a couple Mola-Molas jumping, man those are weird looking fish! Of course we still had a greenie with a hook in tow and my friend was able to land one more, this one being a little smaller than the first we nabbed.

All in all, a great day on the water with nice blue skies, just a little wind and good vibes!

Looking to get back out there soon.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2015, 05:33 AM   #2
h2ofishfo

Way to go jarrod we'll get out there soon !!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
easyday

Nice man, got some good shots.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Sounds like a killer day!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
bigbarrels

Congrats!!! similar experience and results. The whales were amazing
Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #6