Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
YakDout
Brandon

best fish finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
To answer your question, yes exactly. we only go on days when its dead calm, why would we bother going on days when its blowing 15-20 mph with a 4' swell?

As far as the HDS touch goes nowhere in my response did I speak highly of it, I simply said that it works much much better when your fingers are wet/moist. If you're going to give advise on something give advice based on your experiences and not your assumptions or some review that you read. Is the touch unit for everyone? No, its not.

Do you carry freshwater to dip your fingers in before you touch the screen? Like I said before, saltwater on the screen sucks. And it happens to people enough to the point that they bring a freshwater squirt bottle along with them to clean the screen that isnt touch. And now you are saying its better to dip your hand in saltwater to get them wet before you touch the screen, just does not make sense to me. Im going to stand behind my answer of I would never buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #22
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Do you carry freshwater to dip your fingers in before you touch the screen?

Yes, its shipped to me from the French Alps.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #23
ful-rac
Emperor

I use water from Fiji myself....
Old 05-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #24
YakDout
Brandon

No wonder you guys arent getting salt on the screen after wetting your fingers, it all makes sense now.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #25
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Do you carry freshwater to dip your fingers in before you touch the screen? Like I said before, saltwater on the screen sucks. And it happens to people enough to the point that they bring a freshwater squirt bottle along with them to clean the screen that isnt touch. And now you are saying its better to dip your hand in saltwater to get them wet before you touch the screen, just does not make sense to me. Im going to stand behind my answer of I would never buy one.

No one is telling you to buy one. I simply said that if your going to give advise give it based on experience and not your assumptions.

And where did I say anything about dipping your hands in water?

Feel free to stand behind your answer but before you stand behind something make sure you know the facts. For one, the fact that you're fishing in saltwater.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

hds5 gen 2 been working great for years. Rolled over gone through surf. still works.

On the new models the touch green works better when your fingers are wet and moist and have just pulled the mirage drive out to poop.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #27
YakDout
Brandon

The only fact Is that I dont like salt on the screen...

Old 05-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #28
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
hds5 gen 2 been working great for years. Rolled over gone through surf. still works.

On the new models the touch green works better when your fingers are wet and moist and have just pulled the mirage drive out to poop.

Maybe after that, we can use hand sanitizer and REALLY make the screen work better. It has to be better than fiji water because its more of a gel type liquid, what do you think?

Old 05-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
GregAndrew

Simply bringing a rag with you is a small price to pay for much faster operation with the touch screens. Typing a simple description for a new waypoint can take 10 minutes on the button only machines. Besides, the salt does not seem to stick to my touch screen like it did to my old HDS 5. I carry a tiny squirt bottle, but rarely ever use it. Water droplets are more of a nuisance to me, so I wipe them down before they dry.

OP, nobody knows what the best fishfinder is, cause nobody has used them all long enough to make an educated guess. Stick with the ones that you are not hearing user complaints about and that you can get a good extended warranty for. Those are going to be your primary concerns with your unit fishing from a kayak.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #30
jorluivil

And if you buy the Westmarine warranty with your unit you'll never have to buy a new unit again.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #31
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
And if you buy the Westmarine warranty with your unit you'll never have to buy a new unit again.
Is that mean the fishfinder will die naturally or we make it die naturally within its warranty period .
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #32
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Is that mean the fishfinder will die naturally or we make it die naturally within its warranty period .

I've never had to put an electronic unit to death, the units just failed and westmarine said, 'here's your full refund'. It's happened with more than one item that's I've purchased at westmarine, chances are you will NOT find a better warranty on marine electronics.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #33
swinginFish

Best Advice ..

Best advice I ever received re. a fish finder (15 yrs ago from Johnny Ceviche) was to do the research then buy whatever I felt was best with a credit card. It was explained that most issuing banks encourage their credit card use by offering to extend the original warranty by a year on an item purchased with the card. Given how abusive the kayak fishing environment is on electronic equipment, you can trust you'll have reason to utilize the extended warranty no matter what GPS you buy.
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote