Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
PAL

JAL Memorial Thank You (Long)

Fishing a tournament in memory of my son James was a tremendous honor and gift to my family. Thank you for lifting our spirits.

Thank you La Jolla, for the ideal weather: no surf, silky flat seas, and some monster fish. The Jewel always delivers for our traditional post Labor Day weekend summer tournament. Congratulations to Andy Acevedo and all the other winners.

Thank you fellow kayak anglers. I think I heard there were 106 registered. There's no tournament without you. Whether you came out for the competition, the prizes, the fellowship, or to support the cause (several even registered although they couldn't attend), I am grateful to each of you. I hope you found what you were seeking.

Thank you Andy Allen of OEX Sunset Beach for reviving this tradition last year, and with OEX Mission Bay's Brent Torgeson offering to name it for my son James. You guys just put in a crazy busy summer season, yet took the time and considerable effort to stage this tournament on a sunny Saturday. You are dear friends.

Thank you Matt Moyer, for so graciously passing the torch and for working behind the scenes to provide prizes. I will never forget your father Steve, his good humor and generosity of spirit. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thank you Jim Sammons, who founded this annual tradition so long ago he has trouble remembering the year. I think it might have been 2000 or 2001. That you shot the event for your long-running TV show (named the Kayak Fishing Show of course) is huge in more ways than I will list here.

Thank you Allene Sammons for taking charge of the raffle ticket sales, and a huge THANK YOU to everyone who bought tickets. This year's proceeds will benefit the James Lebowitz Memorial Cal Poly Pomona University scholarship endowment. Thanks to you, James will help a fellow young person get through college, every year, in perpetuity.

Thank you Heroes on the Water Southern California, for generously supplying all the grills, food pans, and most of all the hard, hot work to cook up a tremendous lunch of pollo asada. You folks are all about service to the community. If there's anyone here who isn't supporting your important mission, I hope their eyes are now open. I will see you soon at one of your events.

Thank you Joe for the 150 JAL stickers. If you went to the tournament and wanted one, you got it. Seeing those stickers out and about... It means so much to us.

Thank you George Martinez for joining us and honoring James. George is alive today (and saving lives due to his work with substance abusers) due to the kidney James donated. He represented the five lives James saved, the two people who received the gift of sight, and the 50 more who James will help through tissue donation. James was autistic, but he was also a lover and a giver. We wish he could have remained with us. He couldn't be saved, but he could save others. If you have questions about organ and tissue donation, please ask me or George.

This year, we didn't approach companies looking for merchandise. The prizes came from companies and individuals that approached us, out of friendship and generosity. These are great people. The list starts with Mark Olson of Ocean Kayak, a man who goes all the way back to the beginning of modern kayak fishing. He provided the Trident and the Aquaglide Blackfoot.

More sponsors: Hobie (wow, came strong - thank you!), YakAttack (that custom BlackPak is beautiful), Promar, Big Chief, AFTCO, Mr. Patrick and Target for the Kamodo grill AND box of Williamson lures (classy), Owner, Carlisle, Arnette Optics, Okuma, Big Hammer, SeaDek, Extrasport, Team Sewer Productions (Ha!). The dorados, wow!

I'm sure I've missed a few thank yous. For instance, there were other people helping. I'm so sorry I didn't get all your names. My apologies - we appreciate and thank you all.

Last edited by Iceman; 10-16-2015 at 09:58 AM.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

This truly exceeded my expectations in every way, the generosity, compassion and camaraderie ruled this day! Thank you everyone who made this SO successful! This will be an annual event. Plan on the Saturday following Labor Day next year!

The raffle and entry money combined for a total of
$5407

Last edited by Iceman; 09-13-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Congratulations to the winners!

Andy Acevedo Biggest WSB and Biggest fish of the day with a 58 pounder
Jorge Villagas biggest yellowtail with a 26 pounder
Jim Kelley won the halibut division in the prefishing payout

Old 09-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Had an great time!

Next year I plan to fish...

Congrates to all the winners!!!

What a great cause!

Geno
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
summers in kuwait

This was a very well organized and fun event. You could tell the importance and love behind it. Amazing support. I had a blast and really enjoyed meeting a bunch of people off the water. Next year I need to step up my raffle ticket game!

Godspeed James.

Last edited by summers in kuwait; 09-13-2015 at 09:37 AM.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Deamon

It was an honor just to participate, thank you, Paul and Andy! Big back slaps to the volunteers, donors and Acevedo's 58 WSB! The happy fish Gods that came out to play were a bonus. I hope Jim S. will give us the info on his show! Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user3383_pic2153_1442179614_thumb.jpg (60.3 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by Deamon; 09-14-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Glad to be there and to help out!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
fishing md

"""NO'''' THANK YOU!!!
fishing md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #9
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
This truly exceeded my expectations in every way, the generosity, compassion and camaraderie ruled this day! Thank you everyone who made this SO successful! This will be an annual event. Plan on the Saturday following Labor Day next year!

The raffle and entry money combined for a total of $5407.

Overcome with emotion.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
Andy

What a great day and even better turnout. I met you Paul at one of the first MLPA meetings in Santa Ana. I have so much gratitude for how much work you put in during that time. How soon we forget how close we were to losing LJ. So glad I got to be a part of this event, let alone win with a new personal best. Still buzzing off the stoke!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #11
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

It was an awesome tribute! Well done All! I know the best thing I heard yesterday is that Paul still gets to fish with his son in La Jolla! That is very special and brought a tear to my eye! Tight lines with JAL!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #12
swinginFish

... what it's all about ...

Paul,

First, a big thanks to you and your family, followed by bravos to Andy, Sammons and all who stepped up to realize this tribute.

That sponsors came to you - rather than the other way around - speaks reams about our community. While at times seeming "fractured," it was absolutely wonderful to see/feel/experience our coming together for such a good cause.

The weather proved impeccable, and large fish willing (including, yes, our own celebrity hammerhead - one to never miss a good photo op). Everything combined to make it a truly special day.

As hoped/wanted, I got to meet up with old friends - most with less hair (or greying beards), but all with smiles and good old-fashioned man hugs.

It was a good day Paul. A wonderful remembrance, and absolutely fine thing for all-involved.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Lit-up1

PAL

Thanks for a great time and the event shows what this community can do when asked to step up-.....
Old 09-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #14
Jimmyz123

It was so awesome to be out there and to see everyone having a great time. I can't wait until next year's event.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Great cause and great people....I can't wait for next year.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote