Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
h2ofishfo

man these red tides are getting closer together in time must be GLOBAL WARMING or people killing fish in lajolla al gore says so his wife told me last night
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
JordanRHughes
Eternal Sentiment

How long do red tides last?

Thanks in advance.

Jordan.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #23
kurtfish

Half Dayers Must Be Fishing of IB as they have not been LJ

I spent 12 hours on the water in LJ on a skiff the Sat. and did find some clean water off the surf park south kelp with bass and barries under the birds. I did not see one sport boat as they must be getting their leagal barries and Yellowtail sprinkled in off IB as they are no where to be seen today as well.

The Barries we caught off Tourmoline were pencils but we did get a couple 3 or 4lb. Calis. I chased brids schools until after sunset and casted iron till my arms were tried for no Yellow Love. I then tied to the kelp and soaked Macs for no WSB love but kept awake casting Dines intot he kelp to play with the Calis. Called it a night around 8:30 pm and made it to the Barefoot Bar before the kitchen's last call.

Any on the water reports from IB ??

Tight Lines, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
civic fisher
Junior

Mission bay was soupy on the weekend,but yest it was pretty clean.I could see the red tide sitting right at the edge of the jetty mouth but it wasn't really entering the bay.
civic fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #25
Dan

LJ was tomato soup this AM, 1ft vis
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #26
WahooUSMA

Red Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
LJ was tomato soup this AM, 1ft vis

The conditions are that bad?

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #27
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If the red tide scares away the bait and surface fish it would seem to me that the bottom fish might be hungrier than normal. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Maybe it is time to try to catch that big halibut. Of course, you would still need to find some bait.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #28
shortstack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
If the red tide scares away the bait and surface fish it would seem to me that the bottom fish might be hungrier than normal. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Maybe it is time to try to catch that big halibut. Of course, you would still need to find some bait.

Bob

Dragin squid, Surf perch!
shortstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #29
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
The conditions are that bad?
Went for a evening dive, the cove was soupy, found the color break at the outside WNW kelp, 15+vis and fishy.....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #30
umtduckhead

whats the word on todays report? redtide still around?
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #31
THE DARKHORSE

I love Tomato soup .
Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #32
JoeGoFish
Piscatorial Paddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I fished LJ on the skiff today, the Red Tide is thick. This was worse than last week.

The water was mud brown all the way from S. La Jolla to the NW corner, and out to 220 ft. of water.

All I could find was this little guy, far away from LJ.
A quick pic, hook removal and successful release.
The rest of the fish have left town - for now.

I sure hope you were able to get this guy back to the bottom. I watched another angler leave an 80#+ GBSB flapping on the surface for the gulls to peck at. Hopefully you are more enlightened than that moron.
JoeGoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #33
deepdvr

Usually when someone mentions a 'successful release', its not referring to just getting the hook out of the BSB's mouth.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #34
dorado50

Don't really think you need to worry about Billy.... I'm just wondering why the 80# BSB was not rescued by yourself or another????
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #35
desert_s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGoFish View Post
I sure hope you were able to get this guy back to the bottom. I watched another angler leave an 80#+ GBSB flapping on the surface for the gulls to peck at. Hopefully you are more enlightened than that moron.

Great way to start things off on the right foot. Welcome to to forums and very informative first post.

Question is, what did YOU do to help the "BSB flapping on the surface" that you watched. I hope you lectured/showed those angles as to the proper way to release the BSB that I assume you took the time to send back down properly.

Gary
desert_s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #36
driftwood

BS

Quote:
Joe, your story is BS.. nice try dude!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #37
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
...I'm just wondering why the 80# BSB was not rescued by yourself or another????
Are you kidding!?!? He said there were insane, vicious, rabid gulls there! They'll peck your eye out kid. Its why i can't catch fish...I actually run away from the birds. NO bsb is worth that shit. Right move on letting the thing float away and die slowly. Good of you to call someone out on your first post too...

welcome to the forum...its all in jest and is more the result of me being pissed b/c I had to work today and couldn't fish.

No tomato soup out there...more like hawaiian punch...the red kind, not the green.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #38
JoeGoFish
Piscatorial Paddler

Black Sea Bass Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Joe, your story is BS.. nice try dude!
And I had heard that kayak fishermen were a friendly bunch. Sheesh. For your edification, I was not challenging the integrity of your buddy, I was merely chiming in on a subject that I have a bit of knowledge, and first hand experience with. For your group enlightenment, and BS meter debunking, the link to the GBSB rescue, performed by me, and three of my fishing buddies, is posted here on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfKhW2nlo0

You will see and hear that I not only took the time to help the fish, but in the beginning of the video, you can hear me explaining to the guy who caught the fish, what we are about to do. I have two descender rigs in my tackle bag, just for this purpose. I've personally witnessed careless, and wasteful anglers dumping bloated fish overboard, only to be killed by birds, boats, or seals. A simple device, and a little bit of effort can get these fish back into the breeding schools they came from.

You will also see that the video of the floundering fish is virtually identical to the photo in the posting. Call it post traumatic stress disorder, or a knee jerk reaction on my part, but when I see an endangered fish prostrate on the ocean, it gets my dander up.

You guys are real ambassadors of the sport...
JoeGoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #39
driftwood

Quote:
Your First post left me a little confused. your introduction was concern for the BSB.

Your conclusion.... "I watched another angler leave an 80#+ GBSB flapping on the surface for the gulls to peck at. Hopefully you are more enlightened than that moron"

Your post had a very sad ending with a small touch of insults...leaving us to guess that you watched the fish die a very slow death. No kayak fisherman would ever do that! And thats why i called it BS.

Your 2nd post Made your principals ideas emphasized. Thank you for clearing things up. Good job on the release...

Last edited by driftwood; 06-11-2010 at 04:20 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #40
steveooo

Quote:
And I had heard that kayak fishermen were a friendly bunch. Sheesh.

Yikes! Sorry the mob jumped on ya a little prematurely Joe. I'd say for the most part everyone on the board here is friendly, except when the fishing is slow. Throw a little red tide into the mix for a couple days after they enjoyed a couple months of phenomenal fishing, and they might be a little grumpy. Welcome
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote