Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
StumpFisher

Malibu Kayak transducer mount

So I got my Hook 5 and to my disappointment the newer transducer does not fit within the lowrance ready groove on my 2016 stealth 12.

Does anyone know of a work around? I've seen a lot of opinions on here about in hull vs arm mounts and I guess if I would have to choose I will probably due an external arm mount with the scotty mount. I wanted a couple further opinions if anyone has used the lowrance scupper hole mounts or one of the magnetic mounts I've seen.

Thanks in advance
StumpFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpFisher View Post
So I got my Hook 5 and to my disappointment the newer transducer does not fit within the lowrance ready groove on my 2016 stealth 12.

Does anyone know of a work around? I've seen a lot of opinions on here about in hull vs arm mounts and I guess if I would have to choose I will probably due an external arm mount with the scotty mount. I wanted a couple further opinions if anyone has used the lowrance scupper hole mounts or one of the magnetic mounts I've seen.

Thanks in advance
Eh, in freshwater, I say figure out a scupper hole mount and call it a day. In the salt? I would be very weary of closing up any scupper just in case you find yourself face to face with a nasty wave. I've already realized my boat has a drainage problem in the rear tankwell that is collecting A LOT of water, and thats just in the bays. :/

The in-hull solutions are reliable enough that they continue to work for just about everyone that tries them. I prefer a more elegant solution, so I find ways to mount them outside the hull, while remaining as snag/drag free as possible.

Good luck. Modding these boats is one of the best parts of the game!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

Lowrance scupper mount works fine. Transducer is probably going to hang down below the hull a bit so you will have to be careful not to smash it. Mine does, and I am, and I dont, so it's no big deal.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
FISH11

The newer chirp technology transducers are too wide and won't fit. Go to West Marine and buy the other transducer that has the smaller body and fits in the built in transducer mounting area. I had to do that when I installed my HDS5 Gen 2 I had on a previous kayak, on to my 2016 Malibu X Factor. Other wise you have to mount it inside as through the hull (not so good, done it before, much better in the water), or thought scupper hole mount or over the side ( did that too, hated it caught kelp, fishing line tangles and dragged in the sand). You could use some plastic or aluminum spacers for some longer bolts, but the large transducer hanging below the bottom of the kayak is not too safe.