Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Kayak cherry popped

So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
echo1er

I like your determination. Don't worry some of us had those days.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
slobslayer

Sounds like fun ha. I always put my phone and wallet in a waterproof case and stow it away, at least you didn't flip your kayak
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
wbrewski

[QUOTE=JNAST13ST;119688]So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip. [/QUOTE

What kind of kayak did you try and stand up in??
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
DarthFisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAST13ST View Post
So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip.
Even though we got skunked and you fell in the water, it was still a good time. Many more to come no doubt, but next time we will actual catch our target species. Although, you did catch the world's largest lizard fish!
DarthFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
mark kleiter

Waterproof your important stuff. I reached for a used pack of smokes a few years back, flipped of LJ and lost 2 rods, ruined my phone, and a new pack of smokes. Lesson learned. Keep things secured and important "non waterproof" stuff safe. The fishing will make up for those bad days.
mark kleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

[QUOTE=wbrewski;119697]
Quote:
So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip. [/QUOTE

What kind of kayak did you try and stand up in??
X factor
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
DanaPT

stand-up?

The x-factor is stable, but standing? That's pretty ballsy!

I feel comfortable standing and paddling my x-factor like a SUP, but i'm paying 100% attention.

Try one of these for the phone. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CNQBEPMCMAA
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
CheapPelican

Quote:
...After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea...
You could pull it from the rod holder, lay the butt end on your bow and have two hands free to deal with the tangle. Some times its just better to cut the line and start over. Get used to tying knots in the swell.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
You could pull it from the rod holder, lay the butt end on your bow and have two hands free to deal with the tangle. Some times its just better to cut the line and start over. Get used to tying knots in the swell.
that's exactly what I do.

I always fish two rods, if they get tangled and I notice its a cluster fk the first thing I do is grab the sinkers, remove them, cut both lines off from the rods, cut the main line at the swivels, untangle, re-tie. Most of the time it takes longer to try and figure out what lines goes through the loop that goes under the knot that's tied around the swivel that has a piece of kelp wrapped in it............its your first time, learn from your mistakes.

You're describing the first kayak trip for 99.99% of us

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I took a dive off my xfactor today trying to stand in the boat wakes. I was paddling with my girl for fun since we picked up a mini x for her. No gear to lose and it was a good time to practice self rescue. Fun fun fun

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
slobslayer

I hate tangles so a quick fix on the kayak is to just tie a clip swivel that you can clip the weight on and off easily without retying, also you can quickly change weights to a smaller or bigger size. Also prevents headaches from getting smacked by a 5ounce in the back of the head.
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Yeah I need to get a anchor too the drift was crazy lol just built a rod holder today with scraps in the garage I'll put up some picks soon
Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
jsigone

either way you still got on the water, sun burned and made sure you kayak worked well and found its limits. Aloe gel works well for burns, more water time will increase those fish counts soon but sometimes the bite is just slow. I Picked up some dry boxes at walmart for pretty cheap $6-10 for my battery, plastics/light tackle and one for my phone, & another for my car keys and wallet that is stowed away below decks.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
either way you still got on the water, sun burned and made sure you kayak worked well and found its limits. Aloe gel works well for burns, more water time will increase those fish counts soon but sometimes the bite is just slow. I Picked up some dry boxes at walmart for pretty cheap $6-10 for my battery, plastics/light tackle and one for my phone, & another for my car keys and wallet that is stowed away below decks.
lol I had my iphone in rice over the weekend it turns on now just waiting for it to charge to see if it still works. Thank you Jasmin Rice!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
DarthFisherman

Quote:
lol I had my iphone in rice over the weekend it turns on now just waiting for it to charge to see if it still works. Thank you Jasmin Rice!!!
Nice!
DarthFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
YakNutz

I have defintaly had some similar days, I got sunburned so bad one time my knees swelled up the size of melons and I peeled for 3 weeks...learned my lesson that day.
YakNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
that's exactly what I do.

You're describing the first kayak trip for 99.99% of us
I thought I was in the 0.01%, I caught a nice WSB first time out. Only problem is I have been screwing up every trip since then
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Jimmyz123

X-factors are stable but not that stable. Lessons learned while on the water are so priceless. I be you won't be standing up again. I think I read someone post up that for your weight to use a snap swivel. That is a great idea. Also learn how to turn sideways on your yak, and even possible turn fully backward, keep you balance centered while doing these things it will keep you dry.

I wish I could have joined you guys Saturday but my wife wasn't feeling well and I thought it was going to be raining.

Looking forward to hooking up with you guys soon.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Went to LJ today got 3 huge bites but no reward my 50lb braid snapped twice wtf. I had fun though and I didn't get smashed coming in. LJ will see me again.