Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The pressure is off

Well here it is, the 20th of May and I hav yet to catch my first May yellow and my goal of catching at least one each month was in jeopardy. There are a lot of excuses. A big South swell kept me on the beach for a few days at the beginning of the month. Then the May winds which normally kick in around noon were hitting hard at 9 am or even earlier which limited my time on the water. Then I the water temp took a dive. Went from 68 on a Tuesday to 55 on the following Saturday. Then I took a week to meet Andy and his posse in Bahia Gonzaga. Ne dress to say I was stressed when I hit the water this morning. It turned out to be a pretty nice day. Little wind until noon. Stuck my first May yellow at about 8:00. Nothing special but since my freezer was getting depleted I decided to harvest this 20 pounder.

Name:  P1000171.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  66.2 KB

Landed number 2 at about 8:30. It was a bit larger. Taped out at 24 lbs. Refused to sign the waiver so no picture. Hooked a third about a half hr later but came unbuttoned after about 5 minutes. OK, bring on June.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Well here it is, the 20th of May and I hav yet to catch my first May yellow and my goal of catching at least one each month was in jeopardy. There are a lot of excuses. A big South swell kept me on the beach for a few days at the beginning of the month. Then the May winds which normally kick in around noon were hitting hard at 9 am or even earlier which limited my time on the water. Then I the water temp took a dive. Went from 68 on a Tuesday to 55 on the following Saturday. Then I took a week to meet Andy and his posse in Bahia Gonzaga. Ne dress to say I was stressed when I hit the water this morning. It turned out to be a pretty nice day. Little wind until noon. Stuck my first May yellow at about 8:00. Nothing special but since my freezer was getting depleted I decided to harvest this 20 pounder.

Attachment 15561

Landed number 2 at about 8:30. It was a bit larger. Taped out at 24 lbs. Refused to sign the waiver so no picture. Hooked a third about a half hr later but came unbuttoned after about 5 minutes. OK, bring on June.
Life is good, congratulations amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Zed
BANNED

Vacations over. Get back to the grind slacker.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
TJones

Keep the ball rolling

:
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I just re-read my post and in the scheme of things I found it offensive and wish I would have chosen the theme of the post a little more carefully . Like the biggest stress in life is whether I am able to catch a yellowtail in the next 10 days. Just shows how far I have departed from the grid. My apologies to those who are facing real life issues and just be assured that it always gets better.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 05-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
octico

Quote:
I just re-read my post and in the scheme of things I found it offensive and wish I would have chosen the theme of the post a little more carefully . Like the biggest stress in life is whether I am able to catch a yellowtail in the next 10 days. Just shows how far I have departed from the grid. My apologies to those who are facing real life issues and just be assured that it always gets better.
No need for apology ... I can only envy you for now
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
EastLosYaker

Rossman,

As someone who is going through some "real life" BS right now, I am so NOT offended by your post theme. Your posts are always a pleasure to read, and I'm sure you've experienced your share of adversity in life. It makes the rest of us optimistic that we will one day be rewarded with uninterrupted fishing (barring weather) for everything we've gone through. Enjoy your time fishing, and the rest of us will catch up with you soon enough!
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Nic D

Nice work bud

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
svendawg

Are you fishing mostly in front of your house or a San Roque island.

Nice job, Glad you met your goal.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Are you fishing mostly in front of your house or a San Roque island.

Nice job, Glad you met your goal.
Sven,
After landing 6 yellows in front of my place in the first week I was here, I haven't had a whiff of one since. All of my action has been in the San Roque area..
— Herman Melville

Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
udowinkler
Junior

While in San Roque, Rossman, be sure to attend the blessing of the new and rebuilt mission. I noticed in your photo that you are not wearing a wet suit, so temperatures must be somewhat mild.
Tight lines, buddy!

Quote:
Sven,
After landing 6 yellows in front of my place in the first week I was here, I haven't had a whiff of one since. All of my action has been in the San Roque area..
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote