Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
kmendy25
Junior

Gear Questions

Whats a decent yellowtail setup that doesnt break the bank?
kmendy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
dbarnett66
Danodog

I am just a newbie, but I bought older Daiwa Sealine series reels on Craiglist for $15 bucks each. I am sure you can find used Penn jig masters around the same price I paid for my Sealines. I just bought two Turner's Californian cheapie rods in the 15-40 pound range and 20-50 pound range. They were $49 each. After some major improvements to my Sealine 50h's I have a total cost of about $130 per setup. I bought all new shiny parts and upgraded drag washers etc. I think I will only spend $30 per reel in upgrades for the two 30h's that I bought. That would give me a total cost of $90 per setup. The rods did come with a lifetime warranty. If you break a rod, you pay half price to get a new one. The Californian rod did seem to have the same quality as the Big 5 cheapie rods. I know the Daiwa reels very well. I don't know much about the Californian rods that well. I guess I am taking a chance.

Last edited by dbarnett66; 02-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
dmrides

For a cheap reel nothing beats a daiwa sealine 40xha or xhv spooled up with 65# braid and upgraded carbontex drags. When it comes to rods, there are many cheap rods that will do just fine, ugly sticks, sabres, Shimanos, etc. Others will disagree, but personally I would recommend trying to find a quality used rod rather than a cheap new rod; the lightweight, strength and quality components of a nice graphite rod makes a huge difference. In the end, the fish don't care what kind of rod you use, but when I am pulling on a rod like a 700m, I am enjoying it a hell of a lot more.

If you are in San Diego, you should get in touch with fishaholic on this site. Between him and his brother, they will be able to get you set up in style without breaking the bank. Otherwise, start looking at used gear on here, BD or craigslist.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
kmendy25
Junior

perfect thanks guys
kmendy25 is offline   Reply With Quote