Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
yotasan

stealth 14 top hatches

my yak loves to drink water from the top hatches, on lake irvine, i was splashing water onto the hatches just to check how well it seals. i guess my yak was thirsty cuz it loved to drink. i actually took off the gator hatch and leaned in on my belly to see exactly how much water is coming in, and its not a steady flow but a really good leak on both side hatches. now i know you don't have to be a genius to figure out that this would not be a good thing out in the ocean. any suggestions on how to seal the hatches better, is this normal for the stealth 14? how much water is "OK" to have leak into the hull?? i'm almost tempted to take the hatches off and permanently seal it with some 3m 5200 but have a fealing that won't do any good.

help, suggestions..
yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

add some weather stripping around the exsisting rubber. id try the stuff used to hold the screen on screen doors in place first them try others.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
dorado50

To me one drop of water is unacceptable and not "ok". Your right it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
bigbarrels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVaWkJGtz7c

I'm not sure if they have fixed their problems. The new X-13 has a built in gasket and the hatches don't leak......not sure on the Stealth 12 or 14.......having a built in sump pump seems like the ticket and maybe keeping it on freshwater or bays