Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
PAL

Kayak Fishing Game On Movie Crew Takes on Panama (Photo heavy!)

Is there good kayak fishing on the Pacific coast of Panama? Hell yeah! Let these photos do the talking:

Jim gets it going with a rooster.

Looks very NorCal - rocks and reefs everywhere.

Ken rolls film as Jim discovers the local blue rockfish.

Blue trevally aka blue jack. Watch out for that sharp tail!

Jim railed. Just how big is his fish?

Pretty dang big!

120-lbs or so big, hooked, fought and leadered from the 'yak. Night time meant an assist on the gaff job.

World champ paddler Ken makes everything look easy.

Tropical.

Ken and a comb.

Snook a look.

One of a bazillion local snappers. Pretty little thing.

We have cubera!

That's no boiler bass - jacks in the danger zone.

Here be crocs... Can you see it? We couldn't unti it leaped off the bank, all 6 or 7 ft of the monster, then disappeared under our noses in maybe two feet of water.

Text report to follow. Could be a few days, I'm off to the next set of MLPA hearings tomorrow. I'll say this. I am incredibly lucky to have been invited to join the Kayak Fishing Game On crew for this incredible shoot based out of Pesca Panama. This is my new favorite place - we barely scratched the surface. Inshore, blue water, up in the mangroves, exotic and tropical, with slight hint of menace that makes everything that much more vibrant.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

WOW!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Billy V

-- Holy Tuna Batman !!!
Chicken of the Sea
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
LocoKayako

WOW, is right.
Great pics and nice catches.

Gabe
Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
travelin_lite
Junior

Insane

That looks like an insane trip of a lifetime or if you are Jim just another day in the mobile office.
travelin_lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Bpcode3
Angler

WoW !! Great Info and Pics
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
CandyCatcher

Amazing Shots....Great Report!

What a Pig YFT for Jim!!

Stoked for all that went!!!

Just plain Wow!!
CandyCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
PAL

I don't know whether karma is real or not, but I figure this trip is proof that good deeds (MLPA fight) bring unexpected rewards, 'cause this invitation came out of nowhere.

Jim sent me a photo of my tuna - the writer gets a little bit of glory for himself.

Get a load of the look on my face! Believe me, I was ecstatic on the inside. The smile came a little bit later. There were six sharp popper hooks about two inches from my foot!
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
THEDanHernandez
Junior

wow that rocks!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Jim Sammons LJKF

Great report and photos Paul, it was great to have you along on the trip. Here is my report mostly the same photos but a little more text.

Photo report from Game On 2 Panama shoot.
We got an invitation to join Pesca Panama with our kayaks to shoot a segment of Game On 2, our kayak fishing movie, and man what a place. On the trip were whitewater paddler and producer Ken Whiting, outdoor writer Paul Lebowitz, videographer Will Richardshon and myself.
What a great operation they have at Pesca Panama. This is our floating lodge or floating bar as the case may be. They would move it every day to a new location while we were out fishing.

I don’t seem to have any photos of the support boats but they were top notch. Twin four strokes, full electronics and a huge bimini top to keep the sun off while on the boat. This was huge as when the sun was out it was blistering hot. Lucky we had plenty of cloud cover to keep the heat down a bit. Water temp was 86.5
We are talking long fishing days also, basically fishing dawn till dusk or even later if you take too long on a fish.
The first day of the trip we got into some real nice Roosters with my biggest being close to forty pounds, unfortunately no still shots of that fish but here is one of the others I got on a live bait.

Here is Ken Releasing another

We spent a lot of time fishing the inshore structure with Sebile poppers and magic swimmers, and you never knew what might hit.
Sometimes Jack Crevalle

Cubera Snapper

Blue Trevally

We were fishing in some nasty neighborhoods and these fish were tough, wanting to pull us into the rocks and the surf. We lost a lot of lures to these fish in the rocks. You basically just buttoned your drag and at times would have to paddle the fish out of the surf zone. The pictures don’t do justice to just how gnarly these spots were.

When it wasn’t hot it was raining

Our Videographer/Director Will in a down pour

As we were moving from one island to another we saw a huge school of porpoise and swung by to check it out. Saw some tuna jumping so we tossed the kayaks in the water to give them a shot. Chased some boils and tossed out a surface popper right on top of one with my little Shimano 300 Calcutta and got slammed on the first crank.
Rather like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Paul and I each got one his going 42 pounds and mine 38, note the porpoise behind Paul.

Back near one of the islands we were told about a spot they called the Snook hole for a good reason. These were our first Snook ever.

After fishing the Snook hole we decided to investigate a small tidal river. As soon as we got on the water we spotted a couple of very small crocs sinking out as we approached.

Paul and I each caught small snappers in the river.
As we came around this bend a VERY LARGE salt water Croc Flew off the bank which was about four feet high and landed just a few feet off my bow. This thing was huge and startled the hell out of me I think I levitated out of my kayak; needless to say this is where we turned around. The camera was rolling at the time so I am dyeing to see if they got it on tape.

One of the spots that I was really looking forward to fishing while in Panama was the famed Hanibal bank. This place is famous for big tuna and billfish and I really wanted to try our luck out there for a couple of days. Unfortunately there was a medical emergency on the barge which kept it in one of our locations for an extra day so all we got at the bank was one late afternoon. That turned out to be enough.
As we pulled up to the bank several of our other fishing boats from the barge were just leaving saying that no fish had been landed all morning. I made the comment to Paul and the rest that once they left the kayaks would take over and do some business. We all put out live baits and trolled the area in the kayaks in the 97 degree heat, which Ken was really having a hard time with, what do you expect from a Canadian. The baits we were using were large live Bonita, if we were going to get hit it would be by something big. An hour into trolling my bait go nailed and instantly popped off. You never know how many chances you will get so I was bummed. I pinned on another Bonita and was off again. The issue I was having was that with these big baits it was hard to get the lever drag reel set in a good spot to hold the baits in place but not be so tight that the fish couldn’t run with it. Well I saw some bird working in the distance and decided to head that way, I tighten down the drag a bit so I could paddle harder and got hit and popped again. This time I was pissed, the other guys had not been hit at all and I didn’t know how many chances I would get. I put on another bait this time a smaller goggle eye which would let me troll a bit faster. I was chasing the bird very hard for over a mile and was really running out of steam by the time I reached them in the extreme heat. I had just slowed down to rest a bit and got SLAMMED. I let it run a bit threw it in gear and it was Game On.
I don’t think I have ever pulled this hard on a fish, thank God for the Shimano Tiagra 12 two speed reel I was using. The fish had my rod pegged to the rail for much of the fight.

I had the fish to color in a little over an hour and when I saw how big it was I was amazed. I had the guys from the camera boat toss me a gaff and I gave it my best shot. IT was rather like gaffing a stick of dynamite as when the gaff hit the fish it just exploded.

I think all I really did was piss the fish off, as it smoked off a ton of my line not to be seen again for another two hours.
By the time I got the fish back up to color my body was a wreck, my arms were dying, my hands were cramping and the always problematic muscles in my back were one big knot. The sun was starting the set and we did not want to lose this fish or fight it into the night, you would know why if you saw some of the huge Bull sharks we saw and the fast approaching lighting storm heading our way. I had the boat come in close and let them stick the gaff in the fish, good thing too because again the fish exploded and it took two gaffs to get it in the boat.

I certainly would of liked to land the fish solo but in this situation I think I made the right decision to let the boat do the honors. I do have some ideas on how it can be done so look for us to head down there again to give it a try.
Many Rum and cokes followed up this catch and lots of Motrin for my sore muscles.
Panama is my new favorite place. The fishing and scenery were absolutely off the charts. I am sure this will make a great segment to Game On 2.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
MalibuJohnny

Fantastic!`

Thanks for sharing !
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
nabeeko

Great Pictures! Awesome catches!
You guys have a tough schedule!
Can't wait for the movie...
nabeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Nice work guys - beautiful scenery too!!!
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Photo heavy? Not even...

You can send as many pics as you like...

Incredible pics, looks like you guys had a blast and then some.

Jim, you looked worked with that big ol' tuna in your lap...

Paul, you look much mo' better without that stuff on you face...now get back to work, your well deserved vacation is over...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
raffman55

Living vicariously through you...nice job, fantastic trip.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
paddydigital

LIVIN THE DREAM JIM....WONDERFUL PHOTOS!
paddydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Great trip guys. Good to see Paul fishing with all the effort he is putting ni for us at the MLPA meetings.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #18
Jim Sammons LJKF

Paul certainly deserved this trip, I am so glad it timed up between some meetings. We did have a blast.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #19
Zed
BANNED

I think Paul forgot to pay the bill for his pic hosting.
Sounds like a great one, guys! Thanks!

But I'm waiting for PAL's pix to show up.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
NextBite

nice report