Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

6/11 Catalina 3/4 day mothership

What a great trip at an incredible price. We loaded up the Pacific Adventure at 6 AM, got some fat sardines and headed to the front side of Catalina. I took advantage of the free meal included and had a breakfast burrito and coffee on the ride over. Dropped the kayaks in and we were fishing by 9 AM Fished an area covering about 3 miles of coastline, south of the isthmus. We had 1 spearfisherman on and 13 hook and liners.

I put a dine low and one high and yoyoed between 60 and 120. One calico on the iron was all that came on artificials for me. Picked up a 4 pound bonie pretty quickly on the flyline. Many bonie pick up and drops through out the morning, only made one other stick. birds never balled up and only boils I saw were calicos along the kelp line. Fished halibut for a while in 25 feet. could see the batrays cruising along the bottom, there were a few of those hooked by others. Heard of some short buts caught along with sheephead, bass and most got into the boneys.

Great weather as the breeze pushed us along the island, I did very little paddling as the boat repositioned several times. I refilled my plano (kept it simple) once and had plenty of bait all morning. We managed to fish 5 hours, loading up at 2PM, perfect leisure session. Double cheeseburger and a Coke for the ride home. I won the jackpot by an oz or two and happily gave it to the crew. They did a great job on their maiden voyage. I signed on for the next one, along with a few others already.

I rented a kayak to a guy who had never kayak fished. Asked what he thought on the trip home and he said it was a blast. I'll be bringing a kayak for the crew and captain to try next trip and will set up rentals for anyone interested.(I plan to go on every trip that runs, every other Wednesday) Kayak with rod holders, seat, paddle and PFD for $25 brought to the boat. Trip cost will be $75 and includes one meal (first trip was $65 for an introductory rate.) This is a killer deal!!! Next one is set for the 25th and is filling up, limited to 25. Call LA Harbor Sportfishing to get on board. (310)547-9916

Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
esdees
The Good Clone

Looks beautiful. Thanks for the report.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
aguachico

good going Andy;

Is the boner in the pic the JP fish?
Where are the big YT being caught?
Seen pics of some nice fish out there.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Zed
BANNED

Nice, thanks for the description. Good deal.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Dan

That's a great deal all around. No tangles for the crew to deal with, no pressure on the captain, great for Vta/LA/OC based kayakers to be able to get out to some really good fishing grounds without making the trek to LJ.

Next time for sure.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Looks like a cool deal for the guys up north to have a good shot at yt. I can't wait to get back to Catalina.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
landwhale

Andy reminded me abput this trip on Tuesday. Called LA Harbor Sportfishing and was told there where still spots available so I signed on. Got to the landing and checked in at 5 am and before 6 we were loading the kayaks the crew did a great job getting everyones kayak and gear loaded and stowed.

I did not check the time as we left though It didn,t seem to take long at all. Then of to the bait barge for some great looking sardines and of to Catalina.

When we arrived the crew got right to work setting the kayaks down letting the anglers rig up their kayaks and putting them in the water so we could launch and get to fishing.

The crew let the most challenged person try first

Once they got him off in 24 MINUTES THEY HAD US ALL IN OUR KAYAKS

The weather cleared up and the conditions could not have been better. Trolled high and low for soom great Bonita action (darn no YT ot WSB) and the calicos wanted to play also. We fished from Italian Gardens to just south of Istmus. Ryan moved the Boat north and gave us the chance to pick up more bait and food and drink at the halfway point. I want to thank RYAN AND THE CREW OF THE PACIFIC ADVENTURE FOR AN AWESOME TRIP. The next rip is on the 25th and I signed up when we got back to the landing. For 75.00 which includes lunch I hope to see some of you on the trip.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

How's the boat?

Yak storage looks dialed in. Wanting more space for all the gear? That swimstep looks like it could get dicey in any sort of pitching of the boat.

Nice pix.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
THE DARKHORSE

Holy crap, $25 Kayak rental?

Sold, the idea of throwing fishing rods in the car, and hitting the road for a day trip to the island is an awesome opportunity. The most "bang for the buck" I've ever seen. The only possible improvement I can think of is to dissembark at 3:00a.m.
I can see it now (no need to load my own kayak)
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Siebler

Sweet, I might need to take a trip up there and do this soon.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Great report....will have to try it this summer.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
PaHaSaPa

Mothership trip for 2, around $200 ....you know the rest....

Being outfished by your son and having fun doing it, is of course priceless.

Thanks and good job to Ryan and the crew on this maiden voyage. A good time was had by all. Will be back as soon as possible.
PaHaSaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
Arne

Thanks for that Andy - Great Pics

Definitely on my to-do list.

Arne
Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #14
slayersmith

Looks like fun!!! Can't wait to get on the boat.

An earlier departure would make this trip perfect. Arrive at the Island at grey light.

Take it easy!

Aaron
slayersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
dorf

Great pics guys. Thanks for sharing.
Any idea if there will be trips like this in San Diego any time soon?