Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
Rufus

Sandy Eggo Bay 1/5/2014

While everybody was watching the Charger's play the Bengals, a dozen hard core yack anglers had north SD Bay to themselves in epic weather conditions for January 5th. No wind and 75 degrees.

I didn't get any love working my traditional haunts with plastics so I kicked out to the bait barge for some chovies. Only problem, my pump wouldn't work. Arggg! After wasting some valuable fishing time taking the pump apart on my lap, I got it fired up. Next time check the pump before leaving home!

So I pull up to the barge and nobody's around. The door to the shack is closed and I'm wondering WTF? Just then two guys burst out of the shack and bait me up in about 15 seconds. It was like a NASCAR bait stop. Cool. "What's up with the fast service guys?" "Commercial during the Chargers game, gotta get back inside."

LOL. Works for me.

The chovies were the trick For the ebbing tide. Caught one short halibit after another. All good looking and strong fish that were sent on their way with best wishes for their future as legal adults that will grace my table one day.

I must thank Naval Security for their continued concern. I wonder if the ever get tired of chasing yacks away from the sub base? All morning "This is a transiting area only. You must be underway and stay 50 meters from the barrier." Ya, ya, time to start a new drift, thanks.

Like flies, all of us would buzz off only to return a few minutes later.

It was a perfect fishing morning....no fish to clean. Didn't care, it's all about the time on the water anyway. 75 degrees in January says it all. We're so lucky to live here guys. I sent a few photos from the water to buddies who live in Denver and Fargo. All they can say is "I wish I lived there and not here."
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
rogersmith

nice, I was further east off Bali Hai and back in the docks in that area. A few decent spotties on plastic
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Amish Ed

Sounds like a fun day.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
dniss

Wide open on the spotties at the south end yesterday on the incoming, including a few brutes. Tore up my plastics but kept chewing them even once the tails were gone. Got a decent sandy by the cays on GS, first one I've gotten in South Bay in 4 yrs of frequent outings.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Rufus

That's the cool thing about SD Bay. It's big and has all sorts of different fishng opportunities.

I love the flats in south bay and touristing around the fancy houses in Coronado Cays. I even ran nto a pod of dolphin (Flipper kind, not dinner kind) in the Cays last year. No kidding.

I have yet to work the bridge. That's next on the list. And Zuniga Jetty...love it!

BTW, don't overlook the Embarcadero. Launch at Spanish Landing and make the long haul. Awesome jigging under the sidewalk next to the Star of India. Also under the B Street Pier and Broadway Pier. Under. Be brave, go under. Helps to have a kick boat And watch those barnacles, they'll tear your boat up.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
janines.fishtales@cox.net

SD Bay

I absolutely love SD Bay. I fish there 90% of the time I kayak fish. The only thing is, I'm addicted to live bait. Therefore, I predominantly fish the area around the bait receiver. I think I am missing out on a lot of great places. Like I would love to check out that South Bay bonefish thing. Oh well, it's a New Year and the possibilities are endless!

Janine