Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
footballlife_81
Junior

Kayak with trolling motor

Hey guys im thinking of finding a trolling motor to mount on my malibu mini x or buying a used kayak with a trolling motor. Any thoughts?
footballlife_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Raskal311

I thought long and hard about putting one on the PA and decided not to mainly due to the extra gear. I already pack too much for a day trip as it is.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballlife_81 View Post
Hey guys im thinking of finding a trolling motor to mount on my malibu mini x or buying a used kayak with a trolling motor. Any thoughts?
Total Weight, and don't forget to register it through the dmv because it will be considered a boat.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Dannowar

If yer gonna sell out, get a skiff
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
If yer gonna sell out, get a skiff

Dannowar you're a legend hahah.....but seriously 4,500.00 gets you a dank center console, just have to factor in gas, maintenance, registration, storage, etc. no big deal
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
dc1983

I put a trolling motor on a stealth 14 and sold it within 2 months. As said before a ton o extra gear and weight for little gain and more of a headache over all.

I really enjoyed the stealth up till I put the motor on it. Then it was more of a burden to go fishing than fun. I also lost a lot of maneuverability around the kelp beds and when in a little wind on the drift.

The only upside was reverse but you get that with paddling anyway
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
ccacher1

jet powered???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGnnxAivEhA
Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccacher1 View Post
Could you imagine doin doughnuts in the middle of the la jolla pack during a solid yt bite?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
ccacher1

Quote:
Could you imagine doin doughnuts in the middle of the la jolla pack during a solid yt bite?
If you weren't shot I'm sure you'd end up knocking yourself dead at some point anyways.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Bye, bye MR. Tax Man catch me if you can!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballlife_81 View Post
maybe on a bigger model....mini x is slow to start with maybe get something with a lil bit more performance....if thats not for you then get a hobie
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
hell yeah, especially when those PBers run up on you on a bait ball.. just turn that sucker on and do doghnuts! WHOOO HOOOO!!!!! then go back to fishing like nothing happened.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
dniss

Tried it

Have a Minn Kota 30 fresh water I sometimes put on my (don't laugh guys) OK Malibu 2 tandem. I made a crate with a 2x4 to mount it and hold the ridiculously heavy marine battery and attached it with turnbuckles. Only use it in South Bay when I feel like motoring around with my dog aboard. He's heavy and I'm too lazy to paddle his ass around. South Bay is calm with little boat traffic, and my pig of a yak is beamy and stable. I tried putting it on my OK Frenzy, about the same size as a mini X. Battery made it real unstable, ready to roll if I didn't counterbalance. I guess you could sacrifice range for weight by going with a smaller battery. Bassyaks.com has galleries of their installations, some of which are pretty sweet, not sure if they have a kit for the Mini-X. What others have posted about the extra gear, plus setup time, is true. I do like trolling with it and have gotten a few corvina dragging a spoon and spooked a halibut into the air a few weeks ago motoring along by the Cays, kinda bitchin' to see. If you get a fresh water motor, run it in a bucket of fresh water after each use. Had mine a couple years, still going strong. Can't see dropping 500 bucks on a saltwater motor (though I've read of Motor brand SW units for pretty cheap) for a once in awhile cruise.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Fish Taco

Lots of opinions here... and that's what's great about forums like these, gives you much to weigh out and make a decision from.

An EK isn't for everyone, (as dc1983 can attest to) but thus far I've enjoyed mine. I've had it for a few years now and I'm happy with it. Is it perfect? No, I don't think any kayak is "perfect" in every way... but do I enjoy it?... yes, I do.

I too (like dc1983) have a motor on my Stealth 14. It is a Bassyaks (46# thrust) motor. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would choose a slightly smaller motor, b/c I don't think you gain that much in thrust for the extra weight of the motor. Bassyaks could probably hook you up for your kayak - go to their website and see if he has a kit for your yak. I'd be surprised if he didn't, he has kits for almost everything out there.

That being said, I don't fish SoCal ocean waters (yet...) as I'm out here on Long Island, NY. I fish mostly the L.I. Sound, and bays, estuaries, etc. that are nearby. I'm moving to Redondo Beach in the next 3 weeks however so all of that is about to change. For now, I hope to launch out of King Harbor and scoot out to the Pacific there - but will have to get things dialed in once I'm there.

I now use (2) 22-NF (55Ahr) batteries instead of the (1) Optima Blue Top D27MI used to use. I just made the switch but it seems to give me a bit more run-time while on the water - plus I can distribute the weight a little easier. The 22-NFs are the size of those wheelchair batteries.

CJ at OEX Mission Bay did a great job rigging my kayak with everything, and had it shipped to me in perfect shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MalibuStealth14_01_small.jpg (45.4 KB, 86 views)

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote