Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
bad brady

grunion run

Any idea how it might effect the bite in Oceanside? Do they even run there?
bad brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
taggermike

Some places are better than others but Grunion do run in Oside. The runs do affect the fishing as any concentration of bait fish will. Bass, halibut, sharks, and some times seabass will all move closer to the beach during the runs. The low tide in the morning after the run can be fun fishing with artificials or fresh dead grunion. Fishing at night during the run is not so productive I have heard. I know a few guys who have dedicated a lot of time to getting th runs wired and consistantly catch large halibut. Check this sight out for expected dates. Mike

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/grunionschedule.asp#runs
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Vikingj

I think the grunion definitely bring the game fish closer to shore but I have had mixed results with them biting- wide open some times/total skunk other times. Just like most fishing questions I have heard 2 schools of thought: "Of course they don't bite, there is too much bait and they are too full"! and "of course they will be wob because they are having a feeding frenzy and want to take advantage of the abundant food"! Take your choice...
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
JeffB

I thinking about taking my son out there to catch some. We might try tonight or tomorrow to catch the grunion. He's about to turn 2yr, so should be fun if we get there at the right time. May try Del Mar tonight and MB tomorrow if they're a no show. Wouldn't mind keeping some alive for bait.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
dniss

I'm a believer

Last year I fished a run at a SD beach targeting halibut. No love on the metal or plug I was tossing, but as one wave receded I heard some mad flopping, turned to see a beached hali whiteside up! Ran over to see if I could tail it to get a look, got a hand on it and got pummeled by the next wave, so never got to tape it. Probably short, but close to legal and had my heart pumping for a minute there. I like to think there's a lot of them in close and the one I saw was an overzealous juvenile.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Raskal311

I used to catch huge croakers and sharks surf fishing at seal beach during the run.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
madncrzydm

Im about to head down to the beach on base in oceanside right now to see if any have made it up early
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
bad brady

Hopefully there'll be a little early action. I'm gonna hit the harbor for a few hours tomorrow morning. That's pretty funny about the halibut on the sand. Thanks for the input everyone.
bad brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
madncrzydm

Nothing to repport for the del mar beach on camp Pendleton or at the oside pier
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
JeffB

They wasn't anything from Black Beach down to Solona either. I'm going to try again tomorrow. I'm taking a rod and reel with me this time to keep me occupied. The tide was really high though, and the surf was huge, 5'-7'.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
madncrzydm

Id really like to get some it could be fun and plus my wife hates fishing so it could be something cool for her to see and get her actually touch some fish if anyone ends up finding the run if you could pm me it would be great. . Thanks