Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #21
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
PA!!!!!!
Easy to say when your 6"10 and can bench a Cadillac.
if you do decide to sell yours now that there's a PB...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
THE DARKHORSE

Jeez...another one of these threads?

Just kidding!
The gentlemen who spoke of the issue about the possibility of a Mirage Drive failure---in the wrong location and conditions, with the Pro Angler---hit the nail on the head! Well done. This is always my concern when clients inquire about what boat to get.

I suppose it really depends on where you fish, but if you fish where, at times, there's heavy current and wind, remember: the Pro Angler is not a kayak intended for paddling. While possible to paddle, obviously, it's not efficient enough to fight heavy winds and current without the Mirage Drive. It would be like a truck without any gas, so to speak.

When I fish La Jolla on a Pro Angler, I never, ever, fish without a spare Mirage Drive. If you're past the corner and the current is ripping South, when something goes wrong with the drive---you better know alternate landing spots (one of 30 surf spots and reefs in La Jolla) or have your Mexican license with you.

That said, I absolutely Love the Hobie Pro Angler. It can do anything other kayaks can do, but no other kayak can do what the Pro Angler can. While I realize some guys have the fantasy of a smaller Pro Angler, and we'll quite possible see one from demand, I can say with confidence that it won't be a better kayak. The Pro Angler is absolutely perfect just the way it is.

For me, the Pro Angler is for sight-fishing. Yes, standing up in the thing for hours on end, spotting fish. While, yes, it's also the most comfortable kayak on the market: due to the lawn-chair that you sit in...or couch as I refer to it. That's not the reason why I love this kayak. It's all about the ability to sight, hook, fight and land Yellowtail---while standing up! You think hooking Yellowtail, on the surface-iron, is cool sitting down? Well, that will always be cool, but it's a whole 'nother level standing up! This simply won't be possible with a smaller version of the Pro Angler. I find it highly unlikely a smaller version will have the same kind of stability. In my opinion, It's perfect just the way it is.

In answer to the original post: If you're not targeting Yellowtail as your main quarry, I wouldn't rule out the Outback. The Outback has similar speed to the Revo, but a bone dry seat. Which I love. You will not have a dry seat on a Revo if there's any wind (like La Jolla does everyday!). The only reason I go with a Revo over an Outback (even though the wet seat is annoying at times) is due to the bow splash of the Outback. The bow-splash of the Outback is a deal killer, if I'm constantly targeting Yellowtail, due to the noise. That bow-splash will keep you from hearing things; things that you should be listening for. Personally, I'd rather have a wet seat than miss an acre of foaming Yellowtail behind me!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Thanks to the DarkHorse for making a hard decision harder, and adding another option. As for the outback if I'm going with a fat chick I'm going all the way and a PA is the fattest. I get wet regardless, and wont be using the stock hobie seat if I do go with the revo so hopefully that helps with the saggy arse at the end of the day. While out I didn't notice it as it was calm that day. I can stand on the revo in open water but not a comfortably or stable as the PA, I did sit when I hooked up though. How noticeable is the hull slap on the PA?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
StinkyMatt

You can STAND on the Revo?

Damn Cirque De Solei acrobat!

I want to see a photo.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #25
THE DARKHORSE

Did you say, stand on the Revo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Thanks to the DarkHorse for making a hard decision harder, and adding another option. As for the outback if I'm going with a fat chick I'm going all the way and a PA is the fattest. I get wet regardless, and wont be using the stock hobie seat if I do go with the revo so hopefully that helps with the saggy arse at the end of the day. While out I didn't notice it as it was calm that day. I can stand on the revo in open water but not a comfortably or stable as the PA, I did sit when I hooked up though. How noticeable is the hull slap on the PA?

Wow. Now that's impressive. You're either 5' 2" and weigh 100 lbs wet, or you've got the best balance in the history of man. In addition to that, even with the best balance of all time, that would only be possible in sheet glass conditions with zero surface texture. Not to mention, only possible for mere seconds at best. Not exactly a realistic observation tower with $1,000 worth of rods and reels on deck! Not for me anyway.

The Revo is what it is: the Ferrari of kayaks. A Revo with a brand new Mirage Drive cuts through wind and chop like butter. I'm a little biased when it comes to the decision of used vs. new (nothing will trump the feeling of new). I'd strongly suggest going new when making the move to the darkside. The Revo's an amazing, efficient, piece of machinery. It makes long trips filled with miles and miles of blind trolling, for lack of a better word, fun. For what it's made for, it's hard to beat. Just like the Pro Angler.

In answer to your question: there's pretty much no hull slap on the Pro Angler. Look at it. The bow design looks just like an aircraft carrier. It, too, cuts through chop like butter...for it's size. In choppy conditions, it's a pleasure to ride in compared to the Outback.

I neglected to mention the benefits of fishing at night on this craft. If in the event, of a large Shark encounter, that bump bump in the night...I'll just say the choice is clear. For night fishing, Pro Angler all the way! Not only would it be less likely that you get ejected in the first place, but there's tons of plastic between you and The Wrong Kind.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
driftwood

Very good info Josh! Your advice is based on a boat load of experience and endless hours on the water using all three hobies. But i have to admit, My main reason i got the PA is for the simple reason. I feel much safer with a FAT lady under me.

Especially when the wales are in La Jolla and fishing does late dark nights.
I've never seen any Great Whites swimming next to me. but if i ever do, my fat girl friend makes me feel a little safer.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #27
monkyak
Junior

bow facing oars attachment

The PA needs bow facing oars attachment on the side rails if the mirage drive fails. Anybody handy enuf to make them?

btw that's not me in the pic
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/pmirand/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/pmirand/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oars.jpg (35.7 KB, 154 views)
monkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #28
hook1fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkyak View Post
The PA needs bow facing oars attachment on the side rails if the mirage drive fails. Anybody handy enuf to make them?

btw that's not me in the pic
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/pmirand/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/pmirand/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
I really concidered that.... I've got a good friend that owns a machine shop and he said it would take all of 30 minutes to make a set of oar clamps to connect to the side handles
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #29
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monovasia View Post
I do not think yo can go wrong with either boat....I fish a Revo, love it...fast, tracks well, stable and stuff capacity is fine with me...that being said the PA is an outstanding boat...

The only area I can think of where the Revo has an advantage beyond weight is if the drive breaks down....Sunday was blowing stink in the afternoon...if for any reason you were offshore in a PA with a bad mirage drive, paddling home would be an exercise in V-TAC...I never would have made it and I am in reasonable shape. I did paddle my Revo back to the harbor and am still stiff today, but I did it...
yeah welcome to the addiction, I agree about a failed mirage drive or steering in a PA,
I lost the steering about 5 miles out, in my Outback and it is a definate work out to paddle back a tupperware bowl...but you gotta love those PAs
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #30
monkyak
Junior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook1fred View Post
I really concidered that.... I've got a good friend that owns a machine shop and he said it would take all of 30 minutes to make a set of oar clamps to connect to the side handles

thats cool. now i can take out the mirage drive and have some room for my sweetie pie to sit down while i row her around the harbor. let me know if you do it.

Lots of options with a PA over the revo. Just get a truck to haul it around and really good heavy duty cart wheels
monkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

I want to see a photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Wow. Now that's impressive. You're either 5' 2" and weigh 100 lbs wet,
1st yak was a maui, I started standing on it in the bays then moved up to a quest in 08, I have been standing in open water on it since I sold it last month. I didnt even think twice when I took a Revo out off Seal Beach and fished off the oil rig standing and sitting all day. Next time I take a revo out I will take a photo for Matt.

6"00 160 wet with PFD on. I didn't think about things that go bump in the night, once again testament to the experience of the Dark Horse. I'm warming up to the PA...

Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #32
lbsurf2ca

If you get the PA and break down. I'll tow you in. But it will cost you whatever fish you caught and a 12 pack.

You guys may also want to invest in Sea Tow for the PA
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Monovasia

Thanks for the welcome, a great site for sure....I actually came within a minute of two of losing my drive...caught it just in time as the one f the turbo flippers was about to jettison...I always carry my paddle...but I do see some guys who don't...

You really would need vessel assist if she threw a fin
Monovasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #34
driftwood

Bus Kid, Let me help you make the right decision. Do you own truck? If you don't, don't buy the PA. (simple)

Now, if you do own a truck buy the PA. After 6 month if you decide you don't like the PA you could sell it fast for almost what you paid for it and buy the ouback. Its almost a win-win situation.

That was my plan before i bought a Hobie. I still plan to keep the PA for a loooong time!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #35
hook1fred

When I first purchased my PA I thought I'd roof rack it on my lifted tahoe..... That wasn't gonna happen. I decided to purchase a foldable trailer for 300 bucks and it works ok. Easy off and on without busting my back, although it does make parking in LJ interesting
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #36
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

I want to see a photo.
My 8 year old can stand on the center hatch.....

In our pool.

On the water, it would eventually pitch him.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #37
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

What? The PA a FAT LADY? I liken it to a kayak AR15. The current ultimate fishing weapon. You do need to keep your weapon in proper working order.

First, If you don't check your drive every time you go out, you are setting your self up for a eventual failure. I can hear the guys on the water with their drives out of adjustment. Bet the fish hear it as well...... It takes 5 minutes to adjust your drive before you go out and you get a nice quiet drive.

Second. Stand up paddle rocks. I picked up a SUP after watching Kurtfish and how fast you can get the PA going. If you do have a drive issue, the combo of a kayak paddle and standup paddle will get you back with minimal hassle. Yes - It aint no Mirage Drive.

I have been on a PA now for a year and a half, I would not even consider anything else right now. Why are the so many more PA's in LJ? Stop! Ha.

Cheers

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #38
TCS

Reading these posts on the computer I actually started thinking about an upgrade. Then I took out the adventure for a nice long session yesterday and remembered why I like it so much.

At 16 feet with a pointed bow and stern it really slices through the water. Although not an issue yesterday, this hull design also handles great in surf entries and exits, and handles a folloiwing swell really well.

Its narrow. It's low. And that's good. I'm a surfer and I'm used to being close to the water. I can drop my legs over the side easily for a break or fighing the odd fish. Comfort? I can peddle for 8 hours with no pain. Stability? it seems a little tippy at first but terminal stability is awesome.

I've been out at night quite a bit. Bump in the night? I really don't think that's a big safety concern although you do think about it...

Point is, this thread makes is sound like the PA is the only good option. I'm sure its an awesome option, but if I had one I would keep the adventure too because there are definitely some things I like better about it.

Downside of the adventure? Wet butt gets old, particularly in winter. Accessing the front hatch on the water is really hard and requires removing the mirage drive. When I had 3 40lb wsb on it one niight this year the stern was completely under water, and that was with two of the fish under my lap. The adventure does NOT turn in it's own radius and would be a pain for lobster fishing.

Also, I'm sure there are just as many or more pro-revo people out there who didn't post.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #39
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Yesterday was my first day on the PA, I recently upgraded from the revo. For all the reasons previously stated, I LIKEY! You really do feel like you are the captain of a battleship. One of the best parts is having the dry love seat.

Another thing I like about it is the angle of the seat to the peddles. On my revo after peddling long distances my legs would start to get a little tingly. I'm not sure if its because of the angle or the fact that I got up and stretched yesterday. It could just be my beer not getting proper flow to my legs. Either way it was all good yesterday. You also gain a few clicks on the mirage drive. i went from a 6 on the revo to a 3 in the PA. On my revo, if you use a mast mount FF then you are almost kicking into your FF.

For my first day standing on it I could do everything but cast an iron. Still need some balancing practice, or try before the beers I did notice I could throw the iron alot further just sitting down and being able to get my body into it.

As for the surf, I wish it would have challenged me a little more. But with the capability of taking your reels off and putting them in a dry bag and stowing your rods it could ease your stomach a little when you are coming in from that wide open WSB spring night with 4 foot sets to your back in the dark.

The rudder on the PA is nice because kelp wont get hung up on it, which is also nice for launchings and landings.

These are just a few of my first good impressions, hope to get some blood on it soon!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #40
driftwood

Did you try pissing standing up on the PA? Thats what i like about the PA... you don't need special waders to pee. you could stand military style and pee. A TEN HUT!!