Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
matthew7!

La Jolla 8/15

Bait was easy to find and definitely in abundance, after getting enough bait for the day trolled south for a mile or so could find any bites. Really just wanted to see if we could find any birds to chase. Wanted to go get a handful of bonito. Abandoned that plan and went directly north cut east when we were just past the last MPA saw a school of four yellow tail jet across in front of us spooking them. Then I saw another yellow dart behind me 20mins later still pushing east in 75ft of water. Kept trolling north couple small bass right of the Del Mar tide pools. Stop and drifted around, buddy said he has a yellow tail follow his sibiki in with mackerel on it. Drifted back south and I picked up my fish of the day a 28 leopard shark. There was a ton of small schools of fish pushing up and down the beach but nothing big pushing them. Limited bird activity, very sunny and hot, and the water temp was 64.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
FISH11

Thanks for the report Matthew7!. It certainly looks fishy out there but there is a lack of real bird action, a lot of bait scattered everywhere and the water temp keeps changing. Last week the water temp had gone back up and I had my FF showing up to 69.8 at the end of the week while it was overcast most of the day. Then this last Friday it was, no overcast, hot, sunny and almost no wind (also lack of tide swing) but the water was 64.3. Can't figure out why the temp has gone up and back down so many times in the last 3-4 weeks. I'm able to cover a lot more water now on the Solo Skiff, but finding the Yellowtail hitting the surface is still about being "in the right place, at the right time". Last Friday looking around the edges of the south LJ SMA, I spotted like 5-6 white splashes on the surface a little more than 100 yards away, as did two guys on Hobies, we all headed to the spot. They were a lot closer but with the Solo Skiff I covered the distance quicker and as we get to the area about the same we throw jigs but they were already gone. Just happens and in 15-20 seconds they are gone. If you're lucky enough to be there when it happens, you have a chance.