Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
jonesz

Hobie mast post tip.

Hey guys,
Jonesz from nor cal here. I've just been reading through a bunch of your posts here on your yak site, and thought I'd register so I can contribute instead of just poach ideas Already picked up some good ideas. I post regularly on the norcal yak site. I've been looking at a bunch of pics on how guys have set up their FFs on the mast post hole. I did the same, but instead of using 1/2" pvc pipe and taping for a good fit I searched out a perfect fit pipe that's made with aluminum and you can even use the push button clip that comes with it to secure it in more if you want. Just drill a hole in the mast tube where you want it and your done. For me, I found the tube fits so well I didn't use the button. Oh, I guess you wondering where did I find such a perfect match? Some of you may even have it in your garage right now.... Get out your old aluminum crutches and check out the extention tube that extends out of the bottom for size adjustments. It's a perfect fit I pop riveted a pvc T onto the top, cut it off flat on top so I could mount a piece of plastic to for a base for the FF. Nice, clean, snug, easy to remove and stow. I'm a recent turboed Revo convert and I LOVE that boat. Still working on the pimp job, taking my time to think before I drill. I keep snooping around for ideas and what not. Sorry no pics to share, lost my camera a couple weeks ago, and haven't replaced it yet. Fish on boyz!!!!
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Right on Jones!

Welcome!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
mg2969

Sounds pretty sweet
Do you have any pix ?

Thanks

MikeG
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Billy V

The best way to set up an accessory utilizing the sail mast hole on a Hobie is with a Ram-Ball.

Ram now makes a Ball Mount with a wedge fit in 1" or 1.5" that inserts directly into the Sail Mast Hole.

look here--> http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/ram_kayak_mount.htm

and click on "BASES "

Product Number:
RAP-354U

and
Product Number:
RAP-B-354U

Last edited by Billy V; 09-02-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
The best way to set up an accessory utilizing the sail mast hole on a Hobie is with a Ram-Ball.
thats the way i mounted my f/f. very clean, very expensive. (i think ball and f/f mount were about $40)
i see some other guys with their homemade ones and the price is a couple a bucks gotta love it!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
mg2969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I think its just a matter of opinion of what works good for you. For me this setup is no good. Using PVC and most of LOWRANCE or EAGLE fishfinders you can cleanly and neatly run your cables and connectors through the pvc into a double hinged mount also out of PVC (with one drill hole into the removable mast tube).

My personal issue with this setup is that your paying some dough for a great base but your still running lines up and over the hatch through an already not so tight water seal or your drilling into the hull to pass the lines through

This is my design
Using the sail mast receptacle
However I detached the original base and crafted a double pivot base with a transducer wire pass through

Hope this is helpful

None of the pieces are glued down especially the cap
Sometimes you might need to take a section off to more easily pass the wire

The whole assembly goes into the sail mast receptacle including the pass through wires

Just
1. 1 2ft piece of 1/2 PVC
2. 1 four-way T
3. 4 90deg elbows
4. a 1/2 cap -drilled
5. 4 spare sections of 1/2 pvc l(like 2 in maybe each)
6. 4 in or so piece of 1/2 in pvc

MikeG.
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote