Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
easyday

LJ 7/23 long unproductive day-again

Decided to get a late start this morning due to the fact we haven't been catching anything in the am. Truck battery ended up being dead, so we fixed that problem, once we got on the road i realized I forgot wallet at home had to go back. Was to busy talking about nothing and missed the exit. Got to the launch around 1030 or so surf was decent size for la jolla and breaking pretty far out and no time between sets. Got set up and realized my battery box was at at home, no big deal cut wires and hard wired straight to battery and made a waterproof container with a grocery bag and lots of duct tape. The launch was pretty uneventful, took one wave right to the face in the tarpon. It like to go straight through waves and not over. Pretty big rolling waves today for la jolla standards, Finally got out and started fishing, we saw a huge gathering of birds crashing on the surface so we hauled ass over there my buddies flyline starts screaming he put it in gear and nothing.......spent the rest of the afternoon making bait and cruising around with a flyline out and throwing irons, for nothing. Current was rpping hard and it started getting a little rough so we decided to call it quits. On the way in I dropped down some squid for 2 vermillion kind, hey its dinner. Sitting outside of the breakers it was hard to time sets because it was so inconsistent. We found our gap and went I almost made it until one came up out of nowhere and rolled me. I recovered quickly and got the kayak to the beach. I lost my game clip which was attached at some point, a tackle box full of weights, and a knife. It could have been worse so im not complaining. I believe this is my 6th Wednesday at la Jolla in a row now and probably my 20th time overall and I have still to get the YT. So will be out there next wed trying it again.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Never say die Josh!! your day is coming. Eventually......... it will be your turn.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
momo fish

Don't worry josh it will happen. You have plenty of company
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
What they ^ said + never say die!
Patience is a virtue.
I'll bet when you finally get one it'll be one definitely worth posting (after all you've been through).
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Keep at it. It's going to happen!
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
Cbad Mike

Thanks for the report Josh.
I launched at least twice as many times before I saw my first fish with a yellow tail that wasn't on someone else's kayak.
Since then..............
Hang in there yours is on its way.
Maybe I'll join you next week.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
Widgeon

My stats are similar to yours.
No YT yet.
Our time will come.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
the dude

my Tarpon was by far the best paddling kayak I've ever had....it also was the worst surfing kayak I've ever been on. Your lucky you only lost a couple items.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
ctfphoto

Wow, how did I miss you as I was on the water for 7 hours yesterday, and yes it was extremely slow. I spent 6 hours trying to catch one greenback to no avail.

Surfing a tarpon is fun, I use to dread the landings, now I look forward to them
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Dirty Curti

After the battery died and then having to go back home for the wallet was a good sign to stay home. But you ventured on anyway and it's to bad it didn't pay off for you this time. Keep at it and you'll get one eventually. It appears you enjoy the time on the water anyway.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
blitzburgh

Puttin' in time son! It will happen soon for you
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
RookieYakker

Similar to you and Widgeon, I'm still waiting on my first YT! We'll get em we'll get em!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

It's only a matter of time bro, remember, MARINES NEVER QUIT!!!

http://youtu.be/UjTR3rs9dV4

Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
5-20

Ever since I turtled that first time I went out of LJ, I've started backing in when I come in. Not entirely sure that'd work for something that's as sleek as a T160, but it's something to consider. Feels like I've got more control of the yak and that really minimizes the chances of being surprised by one of those waves that pop up of nowhere, even on those small days.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
easyday

Yes I do love being on the water, and quitting is the last thing on my mind haha. Ive tried that going in backwards on my x Factor and it worked well, but I think it would be counter productive in the tarpon.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Apex

I'll join the boat...zero to hero, when it happens I kno it's gonna be a rat or amonsta
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
paintnfish

Tarpon 140-160, best thing I ever learned landing
the Tarpon if the surf is up is to get accustomed to
coming in side ways dragging paddle on the inside.
Dry everytime !
paintnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #19
taggermike

Keep swinging and you'll hit a home run soon. I've been fishing LJ for 40 years, 15 from a kayak and its kinda lame to say, but La Jolla is a great place to not catch fish. Every trip there is a learning opportunity, plus there's a chance to see some thing amazing.

The tarpon series looks a bit like my prowler 15, and the prowler is a very poor surfing kayak. Coming in back wards has worked. If you can time it right coming in on the back of the last wave in a set is good too. My preferred landing technique is to take advantage of a long fast boat; get your gear secured, gather your chi, wait for a bit of a lull, and sprint paddle with all you have for the beach. Of course every one of these techniques can fail so learning to ride side ways and brace is well worth mastering. Bracing feels wrong at first because its a natural inclination to lean away from the white water. You gotta lean in to the white water, and I mean lean. Your paddle is way out in the white water and your body weight is toward the white water too. On my prowler I'll even hang my wave side leg off the kayak. Maybe try a few launches and landing without gear to get the feel of it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
GregAndrew

And Ron ^ is who got me all excited to learn how to surf my kayak. When he said " Lets go back out a surf a little" after fishing San O, I thought he just meant "Lets go out in the surf and see who gets clobbered first". When he paddled his Tarpon into that first wave an rode off into the sunset, I was in awe. And when I caught my first wave, I was hooked. Easy, keep at it. My curse for a couple years was that I was always a day early or a day late, or left 30 minutes before they exploded. Besides, the wintertime slobs are well worth the wait.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote