Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

7/10 LJ: The wrong kind

Light winds, grey morning. sun finally showed as I landed a little before 10AM. Easy lowtide launch, surf built to 1-2 for a hightide landing. Plenty of greenbacks at the pier, but they were picky and only got 2 after trying for quite a while. I was thinking there would be an early bite, so I took em and ran. After rounding the outside buoy I put one high and one low. It was around 5:45 and some porpoise came charging out of the canyon. They passed right behind me and spooked my flyliner into some clicker chirps and then it SCREAMED!I held out hope of a fish until 200 yards of spectra were off my reel and leading to the porpoise jumping n front of me. It turned and I got some line and started trying to thumb the spool to break it off. I'd get going so fast I was afraid of tipping as the kayak would start to turn. The porpoise was well in the reserve and me coming up on the edge, so I started trying to swing, finally thumbing the spool broke it off at the spectra-mono connection. Lost a couple baits to the dogs and hooked a harbor seal on my bait on the bottom. Thought for sure it was a fish, even felt kelp after it ran, then it pops up to the surface. I had one of these wear me out a week or so ago, so I broke it off quick. Alot of rolling, big balls of bait, no boils or puddlers that I saw. Scattered boneys and barracuda being caught.

There were a couple YT caught. I was photo beayatch for a couple. One was a guys first and one was Dan the man's

Dan, my email aallen4@flash.net for the picture.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
dmr

Thanks for the report. I'd like to get out there soon. I haven't been out in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the wind and work will cooperate for a pm session later in the week.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I forgot to mention that as I launched something hit the side of my foot so hard that it hurt the whole way to the pier, probably a shovelose, they are thick in the surf.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Iceman, today just wasn't your day.....try again tomorrow so I can live vicariously through the weekday fishing reports
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Arne

The way your rod was bouncing on that seal I was sure you were on a yellow. I was paddling over to get an action shot ... :cry:

I had to get off the water early but got to weigh a 30# 'but at the launch. Caught by the old gentlemen in the tin boat. It was still wriggling on the scale.

Attaboy Dan! Glad you got one.
Arne
Old 07-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Razorback

Boners & Scandinavian Swimmer Rescue

Boners hit the Sabiki.
Boners hit the 20# F/L.
Boners raked the baits and robbed all the mackies I made at the pier.
Thought I was at a Vegas strip club with all the boners flying around.

Shoulda loaded up @ the pier - thought 8 was enuff. While you and Arne were shooting the breeze I was trying to load up again on the popping greenbacks. Made enough to supply Brad's lobster traps for the entire season. Paddled out farther SW and couldn't buy a zing. Heard the Sporties briefly hooting - n - hoolering - then they made a move close inshore and South. Slow trolled back to the canyon and strolled my way home with a empty game clip.

As I am winding in at the Northern Can - a late 50ish Sweedish swimmer waves in distress. I reel up, flick off the mackie and paddle over. She looked spent. Asked if I could give her a tow - the current had taken her off course and couldn't make any headway back to the Cove. "Sure - hop on my Gator Hatch". "Oh that's OK - I'll just grab your stern strap and you can drag me back." Well that Cove sure didn't look very far - but dragging a 140 lb kippered snack behind the eXtreme felt like it was 4 miles.

Dropped her off a few 100 feet from the shore and Lifeguard Larry paddled out for the handoff. She thanked me and said she owed me a massage. :roll: Well if I was only 20 years older. Passed on the rub down - but maybe the Homeguard gods will rack up a couple Karma points for me.

Peace - Out

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Useful Idiot

Jeez, whaddya got against sea mammals?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
kurt

Never knew Swedish people were sea mammals. :twisted: Sure you weren't trolling for Great Whites? What are you gonna do next, Andy? Gaff some tourists in the rentals?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Jimi

towing swimmers

My wife and I swam from the shores to the cove and were resting on the beach when you were towing that woman in. Very good deed, I am sure it will result in a big fish later.
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Dan

I got mine in about 80ft, between the condo and the southern high rise---south of where most were fishing.

I had two baits go to nice sized bonies at dawn---nice little warm up. Then, a pair of dogs took the rest of my baits. There was bait popping here and there, so I put out the sabiki, and started following the schools to stock back up. I started throwing a 3 oz. kroc ('regular' size, just thicker) at a spot where some bait was fluttering by, and a few cranks into the a retrieve, my rod loads up and it was game on....11.5#er hits the deck at 7:35AM....I'll take it!

Another boater hooked up right when I did, and the Dolphin had some going (by the sounds of it) in deeper water.

Thanks for da pic Andy.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Dan

just a wittle guy.....pulled like a champ on light(ish) tackle though!!!

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Jim Sammons LJKF

Now Ice, if you had hooked that swimmer you would of had the coveted Mammal Slam.
I have only ever hooked one dolphin and it seemed as though it was sick, it actually got hooked by a couple of people. Do you think it just got snagged.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
Ryan The Sealion

Nice job danny!
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Congratulations, Dan on nailing the surprise yellow. Must've been fun.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #15
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Nice cracker foo!! 8)

Color looks surreal!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #16
BOZ
Junior

That's pretty scarey from a yak. Good thing the knot broke. That would have been quite a ride.

My lone flipper came flylining a dine for sandies on my freinds boat. Some of the larger flippers came through, and line was burning my thumb. Like in a car crash, time stops. I was afraid to put my reel in gear, thinking it would blow apart. Watching the bow in my line go straight, I throw it in gear. Flipper jumps, and I see the line straight to the jaw. Line ripping off the reel. I think I'll play this out, and bust it off at the end. No you idiot you'll be spooled in 30 seconds, and done for the day.

I'll say that, I was glad I was on a boat, enough resistance for the line to break.
BOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #17
fishnut

Props Cris for helping the sinking Swede! Good Karma points for sure. Too bad the yellows did not want to play. Oh well, better than working right?

-Todd
fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote