Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
FullFlavorPike

LJ 6/9

Slow. Windy. Cold. Skunked.

Crab crab crab crab crab crab crab. Did I mention crab?

Heard about some hookups but sounded like sharks all around. Can't speak for the two guys who went way down south towards the reserve. Maybe they got bit.

Bait was hiding way up high in the water column in 80-90' beyond the condo. Had to drift the sabiki in the upper ten feet to pick them up one at a time. If anybody goes out, maybe try this.

Metered no good marks.

A few, very persistent dogs making life tough.

Surf was curly! Swell spiked up to 5' briefly today. It's down again now I think. Broseph and I BOTH rolled our boats coming in. Nothing lost.

Good luck to anybody out there for the PM session or early mañana.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
jlabs63

Thanks for the tip. Im heading out tomorrow morning. I have been watching the webcam throughout the day and the surf has looked ok. What time did it swell up?
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Darrell
Junior

Surf was nasty. I got down there at 8:30 and the waves were coming fast about 5 seconds apart. I checked the webcam before i left but way different in person. I was timing them debating unloading my kayak and about every 4 minutes a large set about 5 feet would come up out of nowhere and breaking past the buoy string. While i could have got out i did not want to deal with that coning in and left about an hour later. Water felt unusually cold too
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

We got nailed by a bump in the surf, but it's already subsided, at least according to the CDIP buoy reports for Scripps and the Torrey Outer buoy. I noticed the surf come up around eight thirty. I was sitting around in 100' of water of the condo, and suddenly I couldn't see anybody as I dipped into the troth of a five+ foot swell. That kept up, and it annihilated some La Jolla Kayak Tour groups even worse than it got me.

Should have added that H2O temp was a frosty 62 degrees all morning as well. Darrell's intuitions proved correct.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote