Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
iethinker

Prison Sex....F-Bombs....Ba$$holes....Ghetto Rap....Etc...

Yes...It's a kayak fishing report from Lake Perris....!

Those of you familiar with my reports know that I generally like to include a few notes about the overall conditions. Well...the title says it all because the experience with other people at the lake dominated the experience itself. The culture here certainly made itself known. If you can get in and out early then you may have more pleasant and peaceful surroundings.

By mid-day along the dam, there was casting room only for most of the 2-mile stretch. Weaving among the power-bass-boaters felt uneasy. Dark stares and unsavory language from some made me suspect a history of hard-time in the "Big-House." Booming sub-woofer equipped pleasure craft (featuring profane "N-Word" rap lyrics) sped by repeatedly creating bothersome wake. Probably most surprising were the bass anglers who seemed to focus more on the "hole-shot" rather than fishing. One Ba$$hole drove to about 10-feet from me and began fishing.

I can't wait until these weekend winds die down so that I can get some "elbow-room" on the open ocean. I suppose there are strange types there too but at least I can usually find my own spot. It's just not worth the drive to the coast for me to find out that conditions are untenable as foretasted.

The good news is that I managed to get into a bite mid/early-morning. Three Bass came in relative short order with the best being 18-inches. Bait-fish inspired lures instead of usual creature imitations were the way to go today. I also managed to catch a Bluegill. Here are the pictures:

18-inch Bass. I wonder if this is male or female? I assume the spawn is over but this one is still just a little fat:

10-inch Bluegill:

To be fair, I suppose the low water levels at Lake Perris are forcing the anglers closer together over relatively fewer well-known hot-spots. The open area used by pleasure boaters is closer to some of the fishing areas too. The morning hours were nice-enough and the catch makes the time all worthwhile. Once the dam is repaired, the drought is over and water-levels return to "full" I suspect this lake will again be great fun.

Ok...swapping tackle back to saltwater now!

Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
Yes...It's a kayak fishing report from Lake Perris....!

Those of you familiar with my reports know that I generally like to include a few notes about the overall conditions. Well...the title says it all because the experience with other people at the lake dominated the experience itself. The culture here certainly made itself known. If you can get in and out early then you may have more pleasant and peaceful surroundings.

By mid-day along the dam, there was casting room only for most of the 2-mile stretch. Weaving among the power-bass-boaters felt uneasy. Dark stares and unsavory language from some made me suspect a history of hard-time in the "Big-House." Booming sub-woofer equipped pleasure craft (featuring profane "N-Word" rap lyrics) sped by repeatedly creating bothersome wake. Probably most surprising were the bass anglers who seemed to focus more on the "hole-shot" rather than fishing. One Ba$$hole drove to about 10-feet from me and began fishing.

I can't wait until these weekend winds die down so that I can get some "elbow-room" on the open ocean. I suppose there are strange types there too but at least I can usually find my own spot. It's just not worth the drive to the coast for me to find out that conditions are untenable as foretasted.

The good news is that I managed to get into a bite mid/early-morning. Three Bass came in relative short order with the best being 18-inches. Bait-fish inspired lures instead of usual creature imitations were the way to go today. I also managed to catch a Bluegill. Here are the pictures:

18-inch Bass. I wonder if this is male or female? I assume the spawn is over but this one is still just a little fat:

10-inch Bluegill:

To be fair, I suppose the low water levels at Lake Perris are forcing the anglers closer together over relatively fewer well-known hot-spots. The open area used by pleasure boaters is closer to some of the fishing areas too. The morning hours were nice-enough and the catch makes the time all worthwhile. Once the dam is repaired, the drought is over and water-levels return to "full" I suspect this lake will again be great fun.

Ok...swapping tackle back to saltwater now!

Matt
I live 20 minutes from Perris and try to stay away from it especially on the weekends. It is the only like I know of that has signs along the beaches in spanish telling people not to dispose of their diapers in the lake, and you still see diapers in the lake.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Orca Winfrey

Welcome to the IE wildlife. Nice job on the LMB and the huge Perris bluegill. I also live by Perris but rarely fish it for reasons you guys describe and that I like salt way more than fresh. I feel safer in POLA with all its tankers, chop, and howling wind.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #4
EastLosYaker

So I suppose it is all of the English speakers that dispose of their diapers in the lake since they are unable to read the signs.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
kayakfisherman

Wow, Lake Perris! Thanks for the report, looks like a lot of fun.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

I love supposive high winds give a lot of elbow room on lajolla hahah
Old 05-03-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
supaboy1981
Pro @ not catching fish

Grew up around the corner from there, didn't kayak fishing back then but we did float the worm from shore quite a bit. I learned to ski in that toilet, wouldn't imagine jumping in now. But the was mid to late 90's
supaboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
taggermike

That's no way to enjoy a day on the lake. What a bunch of asshats. Get back on the salt. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
straightrod

Glad to hear this about the lake. I was wanting to try it out, but I am a salt water guy that loves the tranquility of being offshore.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #10
SoCalKing
Junior

Went there 2 weeks ago and had a very similar experience but no fish. I fished the tires and it seemed like not a single bass boat cared that there were 2 kayakers fishing because people came writhing 5 feet from us. It sucked
SoCalKing is offline   Reply With Quote