Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
crashcrow

7-27 LJ Finally got my first Yak Yellow

It was slow on the inside for me on Friday... I was all over the place out there trying to find a fish that would chew, I could see them on the meter but not even a nibble... found a few rockfish that were a little hungry, they were FULL of red crab... I had big bat rays hanging around the boat all day I swear they wanted me to pet them. Finally around noon there was huge bird action at 250 feet near the edge of the canyon... Sabiki'd some sardies from there and saw yellows chasing the sabiki! I put a sardine on and boom! Stoked!!! Can't wait to get out again.

Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by crashcrow; 07-30-2018 at 12:10 PM.
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
summers in kuwait

Congrats on the first!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Congrats on your first Looks like your on a Solo skiff ? How do you like it ?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Congrats on the first!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Congrats on your first Looks like your on a Solo skiff ? How do you like it ?
Thank you guys! The I am loving the Solo now that I have it rigged. Its not very comfortable without a seat or grab handle. Its a real game changer if you want to put miles in. Uses hardly any gas, usually use about a gallon a day. I still love my outback but probably will use it more in lakes and bays now that I have the solo. I am getting more and more brave for sure... I don't doubt a trip to the 9 mile bank by the end of summer with a group of 4-5 solo skiffs.

Mike
Old 07-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
FISH11

I was out there Friday and was coming back south from the canyon when I saw you motoring out to the North West. When you were going, I was thinking man that sure lets you cover some water in a hurry. Great for chasing down those bird action areas. Provably took you less than 10 minutes to cover the distance it would take me in my Revo 30 minutes. At least it seems that way. Congrats on the Yellow.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
ceviche eater

Congrats
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I was out there Friday and was coming back south from the canyon when I saw you motoring out to the North West. When you were going, I was thinking man that sure lets you cover some water in a hurry. Great for chasing down those bird action areas. Provably took you less than 10 minutes to cover the distance it would take me in my Revo 30 minutes. At least it seems that way. Congrats on the Yellow.
Its definitely next level. I can launch by sea world and be in La Jolla in 30 minutes. Launching from the beach is like cheating, you can cover so much ground. I wasn't sure if I made the right decision until after a few trips... was really close to getting a pro angler and an electric motor, glad I didn't. I have about the same amount invested in the solo and it covers miles.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
goldenglory18

Congrats on the Yellow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcrow View Post
I have about the same amount invested in the solo and it covers miles.
See, this is where Hobie has gone wrong. Solo has completely raided the Pro Angler market, and rightfully so. I saw this coming a few years ago when the prices of the PA just kept going up and up.

I can't freaking wait until I get room for a trailer......

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Congrats on the Yellow!

See, this is where Hobie has gone wrong. Solo has completely raided the Pro Angler market, and rightfully so. I saw this coming a few years ago when the prices of the PA just kept going up and up.

I can't freaking wait until I get room for a trailer......

I don't have a trailer yet. I either hang it out of my long bed truck or put it in our van. It will be way easier with a trailer except for parking. I use my kayak wheels to roll it around the house and set it on 3 five gallon buckets in the garage.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcrow View Post
Its definitely next level. I can launch by sea world and be in La Jolla in 30 minutes. Launching from the beach is like cheating, you can cover so much ground. I wasn't sure if I made the right decision until after a few trips... was really close to getting a pro angler and an electric motor, glad I didn't. I have about the same amount invested in the solo and it covers miles.
Electric motor on a PA is unpractical for offshore because of the weight of the battery and limited usage time. Some of the Kayakers in my area are adding a gas motor and an alma on the side the motor is mounted on. It's still a PA designed for slower speeds with 600watt max power rating. Only a matter of time before one of them cracks. The Solo skiff is rated for the speed, wish they would design a light, 600lb capacity better suited for a livewell, and a more comfortable seat. When somebody does that, the PA is getting sold.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote