Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
AngryTurtle
Junior

Quiet morning at LJ 6/3/2016

Took my new (to me) PA12 out to LJ Friday. I have caught a few fish at LJ but am still a newbie, and am still getting my Kayak set up the way i want it and learning all the ropes, so its a mix of shakedown/learning cruise and serious fishing, but I think a am about ready to catch something!

Launched at high tide about 9:00 to fish the outgoing tide. Was under a low overcast, some of the tops of the buildings disappeared into the clouds, but visibility was fine underneath. a few 2 footers at the launch, but punched through those easy enough.

Wind was just a light breeze from the northwest, kept it from getting too hot. Cruised straight out to the point to look for bait. I soon noticed little orange things in the water down about 5 feet, for a while I thought they were kelp float bubbles, but eventually saw one nearer the surface and realized they were tuna crabs. First time I had seen them in real life.

Took a while to find the bait, but there was a bunch out there once i did. Mostly Spanish Macs, but got a few Greenbacks as well. There were a few breaking fish, it was the macs coming to the surface along with the tuna crabs. Didn't see anything larger and nothing was interested in a surface iron.

Cruised around till low tide, but only saw dolphins, a few more jumping baitfish incidents that lasted for a minute or so and settled down. Still no surface iron action at the jumping fish. Was some other kayaks out and a couple of headboats came by, but didnt see anyone land anything. Lots of seals coming right up to the boat, but I was surprised they left my bait completely alone.

Had a minor yard sale in 2 ft of water on the way back in, couldnt decide if I should jump out before the next wave or ride through it. Decided to ride through it and should have jumped out! Had everything secured so it was only a show for the tourists.
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
octico

Every time you think about jumping ... jump out.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Every time you think about jumping ... jump out.
right now my great trepidation is landing in the surf. My new knees kind of lock up after sitting in the kayak for a couple of hours so even when landing at the Coast Guard beach in Newport I get pushed around while trying to get my feet under me. I know I should just go down and practice landing but it's a long way to drive to not get to fish in the process.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
HobieOneCanoebe

Harry Hill

Hey Harry I see a lot of guys going out of Oceanside harbor that way you can just launch from the dock..as for the beach landing it's an art if you haven't tryed this technique yet you can just turn sideways let the white water hit you and then stick your paddle in the white water for stability there's some really good videos on youtube about beach landing.
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
HobieOneCanoebe

favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_HANDqKu2Q

here's my favorite video on beach landing your kayak
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieOneCanoebe View Post

thanks, that does help a lot, now to get out and practice it.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:54 AM   #7
AngryTurtle
Junior

Quote:

Yes good vid. What to got me was a little bitty wave in the whitewater, indecision was my downfall. I could have jumped out, or done the move in the vid of bracing into the incoming wave. I have done that with bigger on the way in, but the sneaky buggers snuck up on me got me in the wash this time!
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Ivanrat
Junior

Great Video

Quote:

Thanks for the video just last week had my little yard sale filmed on my go Pro LOL here is the link for my crash.

https://youtu.be/VfIN7RnbFSI
Ivanrat is offline   Reply With Quote