Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
dmrides

Chasing ghosts

I have recently been inspired by whitedog and Moyer to go out in search of some WSB. Checked the weather on Friday night and it looked like there might be a window of opportunity Saturday morning so I jumped on the chance. Got to the launch early and there was no rain, a good offshore breeze and it looked like I would at least have a few nice hours on the water.

Paddled out along the canyon, made some bait just past the buoys and started the search. Dropped a greenback down to the bottom and drifted, yo-yo'd, paddled, and repeated.

After two hours of this, I saw another yakker hooked up so I paddled over to see him land a nice 40 pound . This got me excited and I was hoping to find one of my own.

After another half hour or so goes by, and suddenly line starts peeling off my reel and then stops. I reach back to grab my rod and hold for a few second and line starts screaming off again. I put it in gear and I start getting pulled towards the kelp, really fast. I was in about 100ft of water and had a long time till I got to the kelp, hoping that it was the right kind, I backed off the drag a tiny bit and started pulling him up. A few more blistering runs and I was starting to think yellow, then it turned in to a straight up and down grind. No head shakes, just dead wait and a few short runs. Once I was right on top of the fish I could feel the line rubbing on something. Kelp? Can't be, I am too far out and he is not at the bottom. Then I was thinking maybe thresher since I could feel it kick its tail and thought maybe I was feeling the line rubbing on its fins. Finally got it to color and it was a huge yellow. Got it to the surface and just before I stuck the gaff in it and hauled it onto my lap I found out why it was such a weird fight. Somehow I foul hooked it in the belly, right between its pelvic fins. This explained the lack of head shakes and what I was feeling as the line was rubbing against his scales. I guess somehow when he ate the mac, the mac slid over the eye of the hook and up the line and he got wrapped up in the line. You guys ever seen this happen before?

Well it was no 60 pound wsb, but it was a personal best yellow on the yak. 43 inch fork length, just shy of 48 inches to the tail, and 36 pounds. The in laws are here from Maine right now and I was stoked to get to share some Hamachi with them. Thanks Matt for taking the on the water pics.
Attached Images

dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Vikingj

Nice yeller. Way to take advantage of that window of opportunity!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
THE DARKHORSE

Nice one!

When you compare on the water shots to beach shots, it's rare to have the beach shot win.

I'm diggin' this one, though. Nice fish.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Dan

by hook or by crook. nice one!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
fishinkid2010

Congrats on your personal best!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
j mo

Nice one! Like you I saw the window of opportunity open for the morn, accept I decided to sleep in... Damn me

Nothing impresses the inlaws like a provider
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
yani

Great story. Being there is half the battle, and the other
half of the battle is winning over the inlaws. And the
36lber? Wow, with a fouled-hooked landing? Nice job.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
whitedog

Way to go the rain is gone here comes the sun see ya on the water
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote