Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Seabass release post from past.

Mr. Jim,

I was about to send you a PM about the Redondo WSB project.

I was delayed arriving at the event, due to traffic block at Hermosa. There was a Saint Patrick’s Parade and I had to back track along many others to go around it.
Finally when I arrived around 11:30 AM, the tank was being filled.

1-Lots of volunteers as well as some spectators were at hand during the release of the fish.

2-This tank was used to transport the fish from the pools to the marina.

3-The fish was netted in the pool….

4-Then handed out to another person…….

5-The fish then was dumped quickly in the tank. One person was in charge of a counter, so no more than 600 or so fish would be in the tank.

The tank then was driven to the marina, and a large pipe was connected to the tank. There was a 2” hose connected to a pump to put sea water in the
tank to push the fish out. However, there was a problem with the pump, which caused a long delay in release.

6-Some of the volunteers who are on BWE website. Rich Ford (far right) is the head of this program who maintains this operation.

Finally the fish was released and we went back to fill the tank again. After that an electric pump was used and no more time was wasted.

7-The chute had an opening so the fish could be seen going down the pipe.

8-Freeeeeeeeeeeeeee

9-Someone was using a very fancy underwater camera to capture the release.

10-After the third load drop, this container was used to release the last batch. Some also were released by using five gallon buckets. Most fish were about 12” or so.

We were done about 5:00 PM or so. Tony was there the whole time working hard and recording the event.

11-Surf was really active. The Hermosa pier is in the far distance.

12-After the last fish were released; I was invited to the Yacht Club by a generous volunteer for a drink. Looking north at the Kings Harbor Jetty.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Nice documentary photography! More nostalgia for me -- parents had a boat at king harbor and I learned to fish there. The release reminds me of salmon stocking on campus at Cal Maritime. When the truck drove down to the water, it was time to grab your fishing rod because the Stripers would be foaming on the freshly released salmon. Limits in two casts. I wonder what kind of predators the WSB release attracted into the harbor?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Saba Slayer

Thanks

Thanks Hasheim...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote