Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
pbb

I got my first...

...total freakin' yard sale.

WNW surf at La Jolla shores.

One of the buckles on my Hobie live well broke and I had a rod leash, actually a surfboard leash with the cuff around the live well webbing. That rod is still rolling around under the surf.

I'll be rethinking my rigging of leashes.

(On the odd chance it turns up and anyone here sees it, the reel is a Daiwa Great Lakes 47LC, and the rod has no name markings on it. It's an oldie but goodie, white bits of brown and with blue and copper colors in the wraps, and the tip guide is black, while the other guides are chrome. It probably still has a leash attached).

It was a miracle I didn't loose my mirage drive. I had the shock cord over it, but not looped around, and not super tight. By the time I got a hold of it, the hook from the bungie had basically snagged it after coming off the tie-down on the deck. I'll be rethinking that, too. I used to loop it around tightly, but I got lazy.

Thanks to the SUP guy that gathered my loose floating items, and brought my paddle ashore to free up my hands to hold onto the mirage drive and wrestle the kayak and live well (attached by one strap, with gaff, pole, and bilge pump in the rod holders).

On a brighter note, lot of life out there. I made green macks pretty easy. I headed out a bit past where all the private boats and most kayaks were fishing, b/c there were a lot of birds working out there.

I got out near the birds. Pelicans were diving, the dogs were there, but I realized that there were porpoises/dolphins working there, too. A bit later as I was slow trolling back in, a whale surfaced to take a breath about 20 feet astern of my yak. Wow. That makes you feel pretty small out there.

Unfortunately the fish weren't cooperating, so I've got nothing to show for my troubles but stories and lessons learned.

Now I have some cleaning up to do. Lots of sand in everything.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
mckenzie

Welcome to the club, everybody been there. Just part of the learning curve, don't sweet it!
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
surfisher

Hey, at least you have something to do when it rains tomorrow. Happens to everyone, at least you kept fishing.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
da22y

I had my worst flip this morning in 10 years as well.

Cut thru a few medium waves, and and final big one surge up and my Revo 13 dive down and flip.

Super hard to flip kayak over .

Thanks to fellow kayaker Mr. Ash help me drag the kayak to the shore.

da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Hey, at least you have something to do when it rains tomorrow. Happens to everyone, at least you kept fishing.
It was on the way in. So technically I didn't keep fishing, but I plan to...on another day, with smaller surf.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
jorluivil

Yard Sales are so last year

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Do divers and snorkelers comb this area for yardsale stuff, to keep for themselves or sell on Craigslist? There must be a lot of nice gear under the water there. Maybe I can upgrade.

I got smacked by any unexpected wave behind me as I was preparing to approach the beach and lost my favorite fishing had. Damit. Luckily, everything else was bundled flat and stowed.

On another occasion I almost ran over a doofus blimp snorkeling into my path in the boat landing area one day last summer when I was coming in. Maybe he thought he had the right-of-way and that boats should go around him?

But to be fair, there were mobs of people playing in the water in the launch zone anyway, including small children, so maybe he was just clueless.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 01-30-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
bolocop

Can't believe you guys went out today. Over 3 ft, I stay home. You guys have guts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Can't believe you guys went out today. Over 3 ft, I stay home. You guys have guts!

It's either guts or a lack of brains....
Old 01-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
It's either guts or a lack of brains....

I guess it depends.

Look at this: two guys about to go out at 9:30pm Sat. Short interval surf and 4-5ft swells! Who are you manly men?

bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
taggermike

It's gonna happen. Hopefully just once tho. You were in good company for sure. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
I guess it depends.

Look at this: two guys about to go out at 9:30pm Sat. Short interval surf and 4-5ft swells! Who are you manly men?
SEal Team BW1