Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
jorluivil

Bad News

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...6#.T16KW3nT1v8

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. March 12, 2012 (AP)

Bodies of four men reported missing after they failed to return from a daylong fishing trip were found floating near a capsized boat off the Southern California coast on Sunday, authorities said.

Their bodies were spotted off Santa Cruz Island, part of a chain of islands in the Santa Barbara Channel that was about 20 miles from Channel Islands Harbor where they launched their 24-foot boat Saturday morning, Coast Guard Lt. George Kolumbic said. There was no immediate word on a cause of death.

The Coast Guard launched a search by land and sea after a relative of one of the men reported that they hadn't come back from their fishing trip off Santa Rosa or Santa Cruz islands that night, Kolumbic said.
Searchers aboard a Coast Guard helicopter spotted a body on the boat, two others floating within 100 yards away and a fourth body another five miles away.

None were seen wearing life vests, Coast Guard Petty Officer Adam Eggers said. Kolumbic said by the time rescuers on boat arrived to the scene Sunday afternoon, they were only able to recover three bodies.
The weather was clear Saturday but waves became choppy by nightfall, Eggers said.

A search for the fourth body will resume Monday morning. The men's identities were not immediately released. Autopsies for the recovered bodies were being conducted by the Santa Barbara County coroner's office.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
echo1er

R.I.P damn that sucks.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Condolences to the familys and loved ones. Damn, thats an eye opener. I keep my life vest in my hatch and never wear it because its uncomforable. Maybe ill dust it off

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
xpresso2am

Soooo sad
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Condolences to the familys and loved ones. Damn, thats an eye opener. I keep my life vest in my hatch and never wear it because its uncomforable. Maybe ill dust it off
I always wear my pfd. It does no good in a hatch. If it is uncomfortable, buy a new one that is. I don't even know I'm wearing mine. That being said.
RIP and condolences to their families.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
I always wear my pfd. It does no good in a hatch. If it is uncomfortable, buy a new one that is. I don't even know I'm wearing mine. That being said.
RIP and condolences to their families.

I have two kids and a wife counting on me coming home. My pfd is on before I launch & does not come off until I land.

Always sad to hear of this kind of loss.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
DanaPT

Where the darn vest. . .

I figure for all the non-sense we have to deal with (surf, whales, chop, boat wake, etc.) it's seems best to just have the dumb thing on.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote