Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
fishinkid2010

I never get sick of green and gold!

Since I’m sitting around taking a break from packing up the kayak gear for a night trip to La Jolla tomorrow, I thought I would share with y’all one more build I finished up. The rush of sinking your gaff into a WSB is incredible, but you can still get that rush when you net a lunker largemouth and there’s a check on the line! I can’t wait to put this one into the rotation.

As I’m sure you know the folks over at Batson Enterprises are a class act. Here is another rod that they sponsored us with. It is a RX8 bass rod with a killer fast action to it. This one has become my go-to rod. It is super light with the Curado on it, but still can stick it to them!
In fact, 4 of these 5 fish were caught on this rod in one of our tournaments… I just didn’t want to set it down that day.

But after some brutal handling by the postal service, and a couple busted guide wraps thanks to having to carry the rods from my dorm, to the truck, and to the boat, this beauty of a rod got a much needed facelift.
I completely stripped all the thread work off and started over.
The guides are Alps Micro guides, the reel seat is a Forecast size 16 bare blank seat. Since this is one of my favorite rods, I opted to go a little overboard on the thread work.
The tiger was done with one thread of Bullard Gold size A, and one thread of Maderia dark green, with Metallic Green over 4 coats of Bullard Diamond II finish with one sacrificial thread.

The fade wraps at the end to tie it off turned out great I thought, I spent a lot of time making sure that they were symmetrical.

And for the finishing touches I marbled under the reel seat with some Bullard’s mineral pigments, and played around with some more waterslide decals to get the Baylor Bear logo, and the ‘southern touch’ with the ol’ stars and bars.

Big thanks for all the support! Now it’s time to give some free lip piercings with it!
(We’ve already got plans to fish Lake Falcon again in the beginning of September… that’s where any rod and reel meet their match)

Sic ‘em Bears! Thanks for reading!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Lets_Fish

Nice work. Did you do a spiral wrap on the guides or keep them all on top? A buddy of mine owns Sensor Rods and he swears by the spiral wrap and micro guides.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Great looking work. Art.

Someday, when I learn to take care of my equipment better I will own a beautiful rod like that.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote